Discussion » Nonsense » why americans don't watch football

  • 柯南
    柯南 wrote:
    Before coming to China, I never watched football. Americans don’t watch it. Never was the reason why we DON’T watch it more clear to me than while watching the match last night.

    Men, grown men, athletes in their prime, at the top of their sport, in the age of super-slow-mo high-definition television, are falling to the turf like little children with cry-baby faces after being assaulted with the incidental graze of an opposing team member’s finger or toe. Sure these guys aren’t the smartest, but surely someone has told them that if they are brushed by somebody’s hand and they jump back and crash to the ground like they took a Mike Tyson uppercut might fool the referee and the spectators at the game, but they won’t fool the cameras or the massive TV audience who will see these embarrassing histrionics for what they are—the bad actings of a world class pussy! You see it over and over, the whole game athletes looking for opportunities to show off their amateur acting abilities. There obviously aren’t enough referees, they’re not close enough to the action, they buy the act, and you have all these games turning on a bunch of bullshit calls. Hello? Here’s an idea: when one of these pussies falls down like he took a bullet in the leg, blow the whistle, have some video refs in a booth upstairs review the slow-motion replay. If it’s bullshit, the ref pulls the baby up by the shirt and punches him in the face for real! Seriously, how can you football fans not be embarrassed by this shit?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    That's bullshit, why don't americans watch rugby then if the problem is the pussies on the field?

    The only reason is americans have their own sports for themselves like basketball, baseball and american football while the rest of the world plays soccer and India plays cricket.
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    Even American football is for pussies. Rugby players don't use helmets, shoulder or leg protectors. And it's a world wide competition.

    The problem on soccer is that faking now a days is part of the game. And thats the crappy part.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Back home ... we say that soccer is for girls because it is a kicking game ... the really funny thing is that, the Roos have been marching on and have gained more and more support from the nation ... maybe we have won too many cricket and rugby matches that we need something new, so soccer is back in again...

  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    "....maybe we have won too many cricket and rugby matches...."

    Mr, DinDangShuShu, what cricket and rugby games are you talking about? Last time I checked South Africa is the Rugby World Cup champions, also we are ranked number two (was number one until recently) in the world on the ICC Cricket Rankings after India and followed, in third position, by the Aussies!!!!

    Go listen to Waltzing Matilda or something if you've got nothing better to do! Hahaha!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... yes, that is (sadly) the reason the socceroos are arising back home, because we have not been doing too well in Rugby League ... even the the Wallabies have not been doing too well either ... I must be thinking about the 90's ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Yeah, and Australia certainly didn't win the 6 nations rugby tournament! Hah what do you say about that now?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Damn ... which year is this again?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    yeah cause what they call football is played with the hands.............
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Stupid question: what do the American do with their feet, when they use their hands to play football?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Oh, I see, thanks for that ... for a second, I thought they use the feet to play handball, if they use their hands to play football ... silly me ... heehee...
  • ****
    **** wrote:
    well first Saibo is right american football is maybe less pussy than football but it's definetlyy more pussy than rugby because of all the protections american players carry.

    second i don't think those three sports are pussy one, some just fake in order do get the refferee attention that's all and it's sad, also football can be very rough and hurtfull too.

    and third i realize and i don't know if it's the reason or why but americans like to play short games(american football, hockey, bascketball, baseball) they all have short times of play, unlike football and rugby who play for 45 min straight before a pause of 15 min and another straight 45 min of playing.
    americans sports it's all about 15 or 10 min then pause then 10min then pause ect, ect.....
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    From what I've heard, even in bedroom related sports, americans only play very short time!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Saibo, I would think the girls should have more say in this matter, right?
  • Simen Stensvoll
    hohohohoho
    i agree americans only play very very short time!!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    See! I told you!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Saibo, we will need more "sample" (or feedback) if we want to be more scientific ... oh, you do know some American friends, right?
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    The helmets and protective gear of American football allow it to be more violent, because we can do away with the rules of tackling that rugby must enforce, such as not leaving your feet on a tackle, not leading with your shoulder, and only tackling the guy with the ball. Americans are obsessed with their style of football for a reason. It's sick. We celebrate the defender who flies in undetected from the blind-side and delivers a hit that makes you wince with vicarious spinal pain, a seeming dead body twitching in its wake. It's replayed and replayed and replayed from every angle in slow motion as the defender hops around in ecstasy pounding his chest and as the medics rush out to ask the victim where he is. And that unconscious dude, who may never be the same again, did not have to be carrying the ball. It's sport laced with horror, and when you get used to that, well, soccer's just not gonna cut it.

    The stoppages in play are for commercials, morons.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    I thought we have already moved the focus from the football field into the bedroom?
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Football's like wrestling - a lot of acting & entertainment but no real contact. A football player wouldn't last 5 minutes in a rugby game!

    Rugby is tougher and takes much better conditioning to play. Football takes strength and speed, but players get a rest every 30 seconds or so. Rugby is continual 40 minute halves with no time outs and very few stoppages of play. Football only lasts 60 minutes. The players are constantly taking/giving hits without pads, but also expending large amounts of energy just to keep up with the flow of the game. I would like to see a lineman take hits and run 80 minutes non stop, for the most part, 'cause that's what rugby players do. Rugby is superior in all aspects. This is a known fact. Plus rugby players don't put dark goth lipstick on their cheeks and don't play with scooter crash helmets on their heads!! Armored bodies, game stopped every 30 seconds, doping, several refs, one team for defense, one for attack one for kicking!!

    Football one tackle and everything stops, take a 30 second or three minute commercial break, play again. Rugby you get tackled you have to release the ball and it starts all over again, no breaks and tackle after tackle after tackle.....
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Isn't rugby basically just a bunch of guys raping each other for about 2 hours non-stop?
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    "...no real contact." ???????? "...a lot of acting..." ????????

    just flip that around to say 'all contact' and 'no acting' and then maybe someone might think you know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't get it. We don't give a shit about the conditioning. we don't give a shit about some south african's concept of 'superiority.' The action must reset so we can watch the replay! it's called building a sport for television! the black cheek lipstick is BADASS! we looked at rugby. maybe it's sufficiently violent, but it's not dramatic!
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    @Conan The Badass,
    My guess is you've never played football or rugby at competitive level. You're just some skinny, non-athletic dude that feels empowered by big dudes in tights running around on TV. You keep fueling your rage with you're footballing heroes, but those are the facts!

    Back in 2002 at university in South Africa I introduced a couple of American exchange students to the game of rugby. These guys were not college or professional footballers, but they both played the game in high school. After a friendly game these boys were the first to admit that rugby is 10 times more extreme than football! Not only is it physically more resolute but also mentally draining.

    So keep on not giving a shit (btw who is this "we" you keep referring to) - clearly your knowledge of sports only stretches as far as your PS3 controller chord.

    PS Since when is sport related to drama? If you're looking for drama, Days of Our Lives seems a good choice.
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    the 'we' is the american sports spectator who has grown to expect a little sports (and drama) in our violence!

    haha, that's the other problem, no tights! Hey, I've got no problem with Days of Our Lives, but despite it's best efforts that show is actually not dramatic either, it has that in common with your beloved rugby. Thanks for that piece of worthless anecdotal evidence, by the way, we learned a lot.

    no, no ps3, but I am skinny, you're right there, and I realize why not being fat would disqualify me from being a credible commenter on modern sports, unless...no, i guess i don't.

    your 'player's perspective' is appreciated, but it's irrelevant to my original salvo.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Vincent, do you play in BJ? I was considering taking on rugby because I do enjoy a bit of physical pain in my hobbies (see motorcycle racing and numerous hard crashes into the ground) but from your description, I'm not sure I could even manage it physically. Sounds like a good way to get in shape though.
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    @Conan,
    Yoohoo, you win! Your beloved football is the sport of a true sportsmen. No other sport compares to the raw awesomeness of gridiron! Your fancy (yet ostentatious) language skills completely turned me! The rest of the sports in the world are strictly reserved for pussies.

    I find it immensely entertaining watching guys like you pee themselves whenever someone disagrees on your views or opposes anything American. Did you start this thread thinking everyone would bow to the mighty American football?

    (BTW, I love ice hockey, now that's an awesome sport.)

    @John,
    We usually play for fun about twice a month. Given my schedule I just don't have the time to commit to a team right now. Seriously considering starting a team with a bunch of Samoan friends on my return from the holidays in August though. Will keep you posted.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Vincent ... League or Union? I have always found the Union a bit difficult to understand, and with scrums every couple of minutes, it does not seem as fast as League ...

    While we might still be on the subject of "football", does anyone here like "Aussie Rules"? As far as I know, back home, more Aussie Rules attracted more female than any of the other three football codes :)
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    @Vincent,
    No, i have no interest in promoting American football. In fact I was hoping to rile some soccer fans, but instead riled a bunch of rugby jocks. Fail.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Americans play football with hands and soccer with foot. Maybe they play hand ball with feet too.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc