Discussion » Dating & Romance » Birth Control?

• Jakob
    Jakob wrote:
    Been seeing this gal for a little while now and condoms are expensive. I know next to nothing about The Pill - my girlfriend has expressed interest in trying it, and so I'm trying to do a little research for her.

Ladies (or maybe some particularly knowledgeable dudes) of WLIBJ: HELP.

1. Obviously you can obtain it here - but where? I'm concerned about ending up with fake pills - are there any specific pharmacies or hospitals where we should go to get it?

2. How much does it cost? You can buy a month's worth at a time, I think?

3. Is it available over-the-counter, or will she need a prescription?

4. Are there any specific brands that are widely available? What are their Chinese names?

5. For those of you who've been on it (or on-then-off) for awhile - are there any bad side effects, or does it vary from person to person? I've heard that you can't smoke while you're on it - true or false?

A lot of questions, I know - any tips would be helpful. Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I really do not know anything about this subject, since none of the women I dated previously ever used it. Thanks in advance.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    1. Major grocery stores or any hospital I think
    2. No clue
    3. OTC
    4. Jasmin I think, among others. Usually since they are foreign drugs the Latin name is on the back
    5. Depends on the girl and her reaction to the specific brand. Most girls that I know who have taken it just get mood swings at first but it usually evens out...

Or you can just kick her in the babymaker whenever you are finished having sex each time...
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    me I want to make a baby
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    You can find it in most pharmacies in Beijing. They have foreign brands if you don’t trust Chinese medicine. Very easy and convenient.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    If you think condoms are expensive, you probably can't afford taking her overseas to get an abortion that won't scar her, or AIDS treatments.

Nah, I'm kidding, there are probably some hospitals in Beijing where an abortion doesn't constitute scratching out the sides of your girlfriend's uterus with a rusty spork.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Right. Condoms are expensive??

That has to be the very definition of a "false economy".
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    1. Pharmacy.
    2. from 23 kuai(marvelon) to 50something (a German brand). u pay the money, u get whatever u want.
    3. no prescription is needed.
    4. 妈富隆marvelon。达英(German)。
    5. no side effects at all. actually it adjusts your hormone level. period would be very fixed.

tip: more expensive doesn't mean it's safer/better. take a look at the ingredient, they put more than one drug in it, different amount too, u need to pick the best one for her body according to that. If she doesn't have any skin problem, it's totally OK to start with marvelon. Don't miss while taking. and if u have access to Pharmacies in other countries, u can get better/newer/cheaper product.
  • Simen Stensvoll
    condoms are expensive??
    i think all pills have side effects
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Yes, in all seriousness you need to read up about this somewhere other than here. A lot. In Asia birth control pills are generally considered to cause breast cancer. If they're the estrogen pills, I believe they do. I believe almost all girls have some side effects from the pills, depending what kind of hormones are in them. For some it's a 10 day period, for some it's a regular period, for some it's weight gain, and for others it's a cure to their chronic PMS (or maybe it's getting laid regularly by something not made of rubber that cures the PMS).
    The most common form of birth control in China, third to abortion and second to having a baby and living in the same room with it and your hated spouse so that you never have sex again, is the IUD. The type that was previously used causes uterine cancer. I don't know if things have progressed or not.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    I just saw a post days ago about the side effect of marvelon. It is said, from the poster's experience, long time taking marvelon leads to a sexual desire decline, irregular menstruation,and finally POCS (Polycystic ovary syndrome).

Links here: http://www.tianya.cn/publicforum/content/funinfo/1/2076082.shtml

I cannot tell whether it is just an extreme case or quite common in birth control pills. I never tried any of them thus, no investigation, better not speak.

But....sometimes I cannot understand people. For girls, why not cherish the diamond of your body if man doesn't wanna sarcifice his own body, not even money...

BTW, condoms are expensive? Try to learn one thing,kid, pleasure has its price!
  • Simen Stensvoll
    i heard that birth control pills will cause infertility
    really i don't think condoms are expensive.if u guys can't afford that,maybe u should just do oral and handjob instead.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Oh right, how could I forget. Yasmin apparently caused my ex-gf to experience lack of sexual desire. Or it could have just been the fact that we moved in together and she finally had me under her thumb.

Agreed with 莫, do REAL research.
  • Børge Notkevich
    The pill should be subscribed by a doctor. The International SOS clinic is meant for foreigners, as the doctors can speak English.
    There's all different kind of pills suited for different types of people, depending on age and body type etc. Some may give her more pimples then usual, and put on weight too.
    There's other types of contraception besides the pill, there's an injection girls can get from the doctors every three months. Then there's a rod which can be placed in the upper arm, which can last for a whole year. And alot of other ones.
  • Rebecca Dreiling
    Birth control makes me coo coo for cocoa puffs. Side effects would be an understatement. It's just not natural....
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    If it's true that the Pill is causing weird side effects in China or other developing countries, don't blame the pill itself, blame the shitty local manufacturers or clueless doctors or lack of choice or insufficient guidance about what pill is right for you.

In America I'd say 80% of girls between the ages of 16 and 30 are on the pill. Every girlfriend I ever had was on the pill, and every short fling I ever had was also on the pill. It's cheap and easy and widely available, and the girls can easily get medical advice on what variety is good for them.

These American girls are not suffering from crazy side effects, they are not getting cancer (in the U.S. we've been using the pill for almost 50 years, so they'd know by now if girls were getting cancer), and they most certainly are not becoming sterile. If this stuff is happening in China -- which by the way I doubt -- then the problem is the manufacturers are making shitty pills.

This scary notion that the pill has all sorts of awful SIDE EFFECTS sounds to me like internet rumors and false conservative advice designed by a culture that wants to discourage its girls from going on the pill and thus asserting their sexual freedom.

The only universal side effect of the pill is that it will regulate your menstrual cycle -- making it very orderly and predictable -- and it will also probably reduce the effects of PMS. If you get some of the other small scale side effects that sometimes happen, like slight weight gain, or occasional stomach pains, then the best policy is to switch brands and experiment with different pills so you can find one that matches your body chemistry and doesn't cause any of the side effects. Good advice from a doctor is the best way to handle this process of choosing.

ps - Victoria is right: you should whenever possible use both the pill and condoms. That was always my policy back home. It's the only way to be sure, plus it gives you added help preventing STDs. The pill without condoms is only a good strategy for committed long term relationships.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    "This scary notion that the pill has all sorts of awful SIDE EFFECTS sounds to me like internet rumors and false conservative advice designed by a culture that wants to discourage its girls from going on the pill and thus asserting their sexual freedom."

No offense dude, but that sounds like the kind of nonsense that the feminist movement spread around right before they and a bunch of dirty hippies spread a bunch of STDs around.

Yay for sexual freedom, but only with a condom. The pill does protect you from the most dangerous STD, one which causes a terrible parasite to grow inside the woman's body. This parasite grows to the size of a basketball while in the woman, often causing serious and irreversible damage to her body. Eventually, the parasite bores its way out of the woman's body, resulting in death in a minority of cases. After it escapes the woman's body, the parasite continues to plague both the male and female involved in the sexual act for many years, resulting in devastating losses, both financial and in personal freedoms.

Aside from this terrible parasite though, the pill doesn't protect against a myriad of other diseases, that the condom does protect you from. Like I always say though, it's really easy to tell who has these diseases. It's whoever's willing to have sex with you without a condom. (Because, obviously, this isn't the first time they've done that, and the last person they did it with gave them those diseases).

Exception granted for committed couples who don't cheat on eachother, but most couples do cheat on eachother. I'd prefer to double up and play it safe anyway, since girls might be forgetful when it comes to their daily dose.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    You think it's nonsense? Which part? Do you think the pill causes cancer and sterility and all these other crazy claims? Since you seem like an intelligent person, I assume you don't believe that. There are a 100 MILLION women in America -- some of whom have been on the pill for 10 or 20 years -- that are living proof that the pill is harmless.

So why do some people in China have these false beliefs about the pill? This false information is based on random rumors or hearsay or unverifiable stories people read on the internet. Why do those rumors exist? Who is spreading these lies and for what purpose? Why do people believe them? If it's not conservatism, you tell me what it is.

And of course you should use a condom. No one disputes that. I even said it myself in my post.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    The part about discouraging girls from going on the pill to stop them from asserting their sexual freedom is pretty nonsense. I'm all for girls asserting their sexual freedom, particularly with me, but being on the pill is not a license to do so since it only protects against giant parasites and not AIDS etc.

There are plenty of side effects to using the pill, experienced by people in the states as well as China. Sterility is of course not among them and I wasn't trying to imply that it is. Breast cancer is potentially a side effect though, or did you think it was just coincidence that women started taking these hormones and then a few years later breast cancer became a big epidemic. As I understand though the risk is only influenced by the estrogen manipulation, and there are other pills besides estrogen available.
    Better skin, worse skin, fattening, regular period, extended period etc are all standard side effects that just depend on the person and the medication.

I heard people were only supposed to take the pill for a 5 year period. Know anything about that? Obviously, most people take it much longer than that...

All in all, being on the pill your whole life is much safer than either giving birth or even just having an abortion (also much safer than giving birth), and I'm not trying to talk people out of using it, but it seems amiss to claim there are no side effects.
  • anita sønsterud
    my fault
    I thought the title is "bitch control"
  • Colin Jacobsen
    virgo haha i just wanted to say the same thing.. smack!!!!!!!!!
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    Bronze T
    condoms and Pills may fail =P and pills do have side effects
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    no, people fail. condoms and pills work just fine to do what they're supposed to do, even if pills have side effects.

the efficacy rate of condoms at 99% is because 1% of people buy ones that don't fit or are made in china, or they don't know how to put them on...
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    if it in the box says 99 it because in a test lab a 1% didn't work..they dont do field testing...
  • anita sønsterud
    @Yin Wei:hi5

@莫名:as a man you don't know how to put them up??wtf?even if a super small size one...if you know how to have sex then you definitely know how to put it on.

pills are scary ...side effects,condom feels not so good.how about ligation?my mum told me so.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    Haha, now that would be a cool job: Condom field tester.

Go out and have sex with 100 girls using our brand of condom, and see if only 1 gets pregnant. Then we have our scientific proof. 99% effective!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Pablo, I'm pretty sure it doesn't say it on the box... I think that's the field test number that they don't do.

Virgo, I'm pretty sure it's possible to put them on wrong. Too tight and something will be squirting out the back.

It just occurred to me that I've seen a lot of guys lately in the gym locker room who basically don't have genitals. I guess they have sex by rubbing their crotch against the girl, but I imagine it's really hard for them to use a condom properly.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Birth control makes me coo coo for cocoa puffs."

This is probably the most convincing argument I've seen in this thread. Trust me: You do NOT want your girlfriend/wife/whomever going coo coo for Cocoa Puffs on you. Hell on Earth.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    No offense dude, but that sounds like the kind of nonsense that the feminist movement spread around right before they and a bunch of dirty hippies spread a bunch of STDs around.
    Scapegoating gays and drug addicts for the AIDS epidemic is sooo passe. You best be trolling, cracker.

"...a few years later breast cancer became a big epidemic..."
    Correlation != causation, dude. Hormonal birth control elevates cancer risks only slightly, as the hippies and feminists at Planned Parenthood will tell you. And what cancer epidemic? You mean the cancer panic?

That said, I think hormonal birth control is generally bogus. If you've got a good gynocologist, hormonal birth control might be able to diminish the discomfort and mood problems that come along with your period. If your gynocologist is a careless fuckwit, you could end up with longer, more painful periods and violent mood swings.

I don't think there are many decent gynocologists in China who have the time to be really helpful with this sort of thing. So condoms are the way to go. Those people who are unlucky enough to be in monogamous relationships should consider vasectomies, instead. They don't fuck with your hormones and they're reversible.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    On the other hand, if your preferred method of birth control is getting drunk and raw fucking, then rushing to the pharmacy to buy Plan B contraceptive the next day, maybe you really should consider taking the pill, since it's basically the same thing in a lighter, healthier dose.

Or kill yourself.
  • Richie
    Richie wrote:
    Condoms are expensive? Go get a vasectomy!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Haha ok, I yield to Dando.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.