Discussion » Beijing Life » Any place in BJ to get Double Edged Razors?

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:
    So yeah I've given up my fucking idiotic quest to grow an Asian beard.

So.... I know that there's a ton manufactured in China but don't recall seeing them anywhere in the supermarkets. Does anyone know where to buy some double edged razors?

I'm not about to pay for fucking Mach 3 cartridges at like $2 a piece when safety razors do just as good if not better for 10 cents each.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sorry for the irony of posting a Made In Germany product photo instead of a more suitable made in China one.

• Joakim Berg Solum
    Or do I just need to bring a pack of 200 good ones back with me....
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    good luck with bringing 200 razer blades through the security check at the airport :p
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    It ain't no thang man, I'll just string em all up on a chain and wear it on my neck as some bling-bling, yo...
  • Simen Wangberg
    Firstly - condolences on your beard situation. I feel for you.

Secondly - you know, I've been using the Mach 3 blades for years and I've always wondered why I can never manage a "clean" shave - like I still have visible stubble after shaving with the Mach 3's. Wonder if it's not time for a change...the safety razors really give you a better shave?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Get a real modern razor with a few more blades:
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    They only made one limited edition of that blade and it was given to Zohan for ze bush. Needless to say, all 12 blades snapped immediately upon contact.

I'll give you my review on the safety razor one I become more acquainted with it. I just got mine today and tried it, so far I'd say that it gives a closer shave but requires a bit more effort and technique to actually use. The nice thing though is that blades are so cheap, I'll always have a sharp one in there. With the Mach 3's, I'd use them until they were so worn down that I was removing more skin than hair every shave. Not because I couldn't afford to pay the $2.50 to replace it but just based on principle, ya know?
  • Daniel Westerberg
    haha Jon Gu, +1 on the "use the mach 3 until they..."
    it dosn't help either that the water pressure in BeiJing is kind of low.. so it's really difficult to clean it too after usage, I usually have to spend a minute or two with some sharp, small thing to dig out the old beard from between the blades.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "...I usually have to spend a minute or two with some sharp, small thing to dig out the old beard from between the blades."

Yup. I use an old toothbrush, works pretty well actually. But yeah, you can only use the damn thing so many times until you're carving yourself up. My facial hair is super-coarse and destroys those things pretty quickly.

On a related note, I fully support more facial hair/shaving discussion threads.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    On a related note, I've also just procured a beard brush and some African Black Soap w/ shea butter shaving cream. Lather that stuff onto your face with the brush and then shave... shit makes you feel like a gallant and classy motherfucker, yo.

I used to be really really OCD about my facial hair. I hated stubble so I would actually use a make-up mirror and tweeze out every single hair on my face twice a week. The stuff right under your nose in that little divot hurts like a bitch to tweeze out. I must have done that for 5 years, but recently I've been having a lot of ingrown hairs and bumps popping up after tweezing and I can't have that stuff on my complexion, so it's back to shaving. Might as well shave like a gentleman if you gotta do it.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Oh, and also I used that with my pubic hair until for some reason I started getting higher than average number of ingrown hair bumps. Fucking true story. Who else has got the balls to tweeze your ball hair? I say it's the mark of a true man.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Here people use lawn mowers because by the time they think of slashing, being a tradition that they do not slash, it would be greatly grown and a razor can not work it out.
    http://www.eioba.com/a70102/shave_your_pubic_hair
  • Joakim Berg Solum
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    The fact that Gillette sent everyone a mach-3 on their 18th birthday does not mean you should use one... Despite the many trolls they employ to tell people on web forums that using a good razor like a mach 3 will clean up their shaving troubles, they damn things are not even slightly better than the $0.99 for 10 convenience store razors.

I use an electric since I have to shave 3 times a day if I actually don't want a beard, and I don't want so much razor burn.

For the tweezers, you can't pull the hairs out or you'll get more bumps when they grow back. Lift them above the skin and then cut them. (I can't resist the temptation though, I always pull those fuckers out).
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I think waxing can be good too.
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Saw a Chinese guy at the spa once, his pubic hair was so long it completely covered his penis (or maybe his penis was just short). Either way it freaked me out - couldn't stop staring!
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I think it is normal for them. I work with girls that wear short sleeved blouses, but when they rise their hands, wooooo the arm pit is a hiding place for jungle rats.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    So we've covered airport security, general merits of old school safety razors, the fact that the devil is behind the Mach 3, Zohan, pubic hair shaving, tweezing, and waxing. Still no answer to the original question though! Buncha short attention spanned motherfuckers.... hahaha
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Gu,
    All that means that you do not need to shave. You will be an outcast.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I saw a set, or at least the packaging of a set, in a convenience store over here this evening. I wasn't clear if it was for decoration or for sale, but I guess you can buy them...

Why do you care? It's not like you grow facial hair anyway...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    What can I say? Anything that can make me feel more pretentious (old school equipment instead of commercialized overpriced 5 blade vibrating garbage + the badger brush and whatnot) is a win in my book.

Besides, like Vincent said, our pubic hairs grow disproportionately long compared to our facial hair. I don't know why more Chinese guys haven't wised up to the fact that a trimmed bush makes the penis look larger. Seriously, with the foreskin rolled up the right way, some of the Chinese guys penises I've seen at gym locker rooms almost look like innies instead of outties......
  • Daniel Westerberg
    http://item.taobao.com/auction/item_detail-db1-9de6126dff888f964d56d9f31dd13344.htm

or how about something like this? :)
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3028826953
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Carrefour: NO
    Jenny Lou's: NO
    The shop in my compound: YES

Since the razor itself was really cheap, I bought one to try. Hmmmmm..... I'm sorry, but I'll stick with my Mach 3. That razor does not come close to the clean shave I get with the Mach 3.

Actually after I finished suffering with the safety razor, I used the Mach 3 to get a real shave.

Now I'm even thinking about buying the Gilette 5 blades with the dildo option!
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Alright so first impressions: The safety razor requires a bit more skill and finesse to use. It definitely is necessary to lubricate your face first with a decent soap or cream. (Most shaving creams in the aerosol cans are not good for your skin... they contain alcohol which will dry your face out.)

I get a much closer shave with the safety razor actually. So close that I keep on cutting myself if I'm not careful. You may have gotten either dull blades or a razor that is just too light... the higher quality razors are actually pretty hefty and weigh a few ounces. The weight of the razor is supposed to do the work, you shouldn't have to apply pressure.

Next shave I'm gonna do a comparo between the two... shave half my face with my 5 FUCKING BLADES Gillette Fusion with a brand new blade and the other half with my Merkur safety razor with a new blade. Both sides will get one pass only and I'll take a photo to see which one cuts closer and cleaner.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Yeah the razor I got is definitely ultra-light!
  • Simen Wangberg
    Any updates on the safety razor vs. regular razor? I'm curious to see how that turned out.

"Most shaving creams in the aerosol cans are not good for your skin... they contain alcohol which will dry your face out."

This could be relevant to me, I've been using the aerosol stuff for years and didn't consider that it might be drying me out. Any particular cream or soap that you would recommend (one that's available over here, obviously...)?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Never did do the experiment I wanted to do but....... it's very odd that you just bumped this.

I actually just tried taking the blade (by itself, with no safety razor handle or anything, just the fucking razor thin blade) to my face see how it actually shaves. Wow, that was kind of scary. But it was pretty amazing to see each individual hair getting cut by the sharpness of the blade. This is a patently bad idea by the way.

I don't know what my latest fascination with facial hair is all about but I'm almost thinking of getting a cut throat straight razor because I think that would just be awesome... for all the 20 hairs on my chin.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    我操! My face is a bloody mess right now! hahaha, this has to be the dumbest thing I've ever done...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Do you give them names and say bye to each of them before the cutting?
  • ❤Pinkbubble❤
    www.taobao.com
    上淘宝买啊!
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Practically the best shave you can do yourself is with a simple safety razor.

I used to use the double blades ones but you have to keep cleaning out in between the blades with an old toothbrush and I think that blunts the blade.

I got my last set of safety razors in Ole supermarket. But ... I think they might've changed the name.

Also, the best tip I can ever give you about shaving is to DRY THE RAZOR AFTER. It will last forever.

1. Wash your face.
    2. Get up a good lather with gel or foam.
    3. Shave with a simple safety razor.
    4. Take out the razor blade and place it on a piece of tissue paper to dry off.
    5. Never have to buy razors again.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "This is a patently bad idea by the way."

No shit. :-P Very "manly" of you though. Think I'll just stick to my Mach 3...I guess. Perhaps a better soap or cream is the solution. I have been rocking a pretty full beard for a couple months now, but I still have to keep at it to stop the neckbeard from rearing its ugly...neck. AHAHAHA okay then.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.