Discussion » Music » western music in the eyes of a chinese person

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    I am very curious to know about what chinese people think about western music.
    sometimes i get the impression that western music requires still much more time to develop here and needs more time to be understood.

for example. many of my students must be way too traditional.
    I played Bohemian Rhapsody for them yesterday and their reaction was:

not a very good singer.

now that was rather insulting

freddy mercury was one greatest voices in rock and roll.
    how many chinese singers have a 5 octave voice?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahahahhahaa, i agree with them Mr. It was stupid of you to play Bohemian Rhapsody in China. Hahahhaa, Hope next you are not going to play the "Miss Jackson" by the Outkast or "Renee" by The lost boys. Western music is still far to way to develop in China apart from the metal they play in the clubs. And not because they understand the songs, but they like the songs because they give them that gymnastic rhythm and the dance like they are in aerobics. So, do not believe that they think about the song, especially the lyrics. What amuses me is that i have never heard a club play any Chinese music. The popular song played in Chinese clubs that i call Chinese is also in English. I think it is called "Nobody but you" for i hear it is the main phrase there. And that is the same phrase they can chant with.
    But western music, gosh, it will take time. Maybe you start your club and get them fed with western songs. I will come and spin the jog wheels.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I think the key is "familiarity", or the exposure of the specific group ... e.g. if you play Lady Gaga (truth to be told, I have not heard even one note yet) or that type of music to most young local Chinese (especially people on this site), they might know it, but if you play it to people over (say) 35, you might not get much of a response ... on the other hand, if you play West Side Story to the kids, they might not give you much of a response, but people older than 35 (or 45?) might welcome it ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Me! I am in China, and I know

james brown
    jimi hendrix
    the doors
    pink floyd

... one small step for you, one giant step for ... who? hahahaha ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

I must admit that I grew up around the Julie Andrews era, and I am more familiar with The Sound of Music ... the King and I ... and of course My Fair Lady ... my exposure to the others only covered my university years ...

Again, what it comes down to, is how western music is perceived ... there was a time when RAP was not well received by the white folks in US ...

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hey, a friend is in Louisiana University, but says Rap is still hugely received by blacks. The Rap shows are full of blacks and the rock shows full of whites.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I would not say that i know all the groups or songs mentioned up there, but at least i am an 80's man how cherishes old skull and old music like the Beatles, Abba, Eagles, Carpenters, etc.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I must correct you that Beatles (and Abba too) are not from the 80's ... damn, now I feel really old ... hahahaha ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Yes, but they played music even at that time. That is the music i grew up hearing.
    From the 70's to the 80"s. Actually even after the Abba break up in 80 or 82, their music was still strong. Not to mention Bonny M. I even heard music of Groups like Micheal and the Mechanics etc. Though at the time, Madona and Micheal Jackson were great. I had Break Dancing lessons from tapes of Shabadoo and Bugaru. Actually Shabadoo was Madona's dance instructor.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Oh, the guy is at the University as we talk. That is what he told me. Well obviously there must be some whites that like rap. But i for one hate todays rap and hip hop music especially the auto tune singers. I prefer dem days of Foxy Brown, LL Cool J, MAster P, Da Brat, Criss Cross, Born Jamericans, Lost Boys, A tribe Called quest, EVE, I still enjoy Missy Eliot, Soul for Real, Soul to Soul, TLC, Zane, Buster Rhymes, Fugees, though many of them are 90's, but the current do not have a style that matches their music.
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    the camp aesthetics of Freddy Mercury's androgynous voice will be difficult for people who are unfamiliar with creativity to appreciate or understand. There will only be one or two in any class that get it. China does seem to have a comparatively low level of sophistication in this area. We are here to help.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Personally i hate seeing the remake of "We are the world" The original singers were great. Does any of the Chinese folks know songs by

1 John Lennon
    2 Rupert Holmes
    3 Manfred Mann
    4 Andy Gib
    5 Bruce Springsteen
    6 Adinah Howard
    7 Cher
    8 Diana Ross
    9 Harry Belafonte
    10 KC and the sunshine band.

Well, most of the Chinese songs i have heard, when listened to closely, you will hear a touch and copy of some old melodies. The originality is in very few songs. How many Chinese rappers can be creative like Nasil Jones when he sung, "How many mics?" The song had a great run, with the rise and fall of tone depending on the message in the particular section.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    Operation Ivy! There's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I never got into them, but I went through a phase where I really like Rancid, which was Tim Armstong's next band after Operation Ivy broke up. Those were some fun guys.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I will bring all this stuff at the WLIB get together. But is it there anyway? I want us to play this stuff and show people what is called music, not this music i hear singer's voices like grasshoppers shrinking at night. They have made our ears music dustbins.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    We need to organize some get together but strictly music should be played, not something similar to music.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... the 70's and 80's (even the 60's) have one vote each from me, but as long as it is NOT heavy metal or punk music ... I am actually OK with Kiss, or even Twisted Sisters :)
  • Felicia
    Felicia wrote:
    OOhh,my dear Queen group!!
    even their legend in the past few years,their wonderful songs still keep in my mind and make me excited,God bless Freddie Mucurry!Go dear "professor"Brain May!

Western music,,,yep,I like it as long as nice rythm and hot singer,nice musician!only no experimental for me:P(if there are some nice one,will be welcomed then)

all kind music has its own charater,no matter where it is!
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well, i need a taste of the "kind music"
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Astaroth
    I am sure soon, but if not, we can have our hang out one day with pals and have our test of the good called music.
  • Ricky Sixx
    Ricky Sixx wrote:
    5 octave???? i think people in china can do that more than foreigner!
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    My first job as a music teacher is to give them the culture... how can u play rock n roll without knowing Led Zep, the beatles, ten years after or all the bands of the seventies??? the problem of china is that at this moment they were completely close to the western culture and music. Since several years already, in the big town it moves they open they ears and their mind, but it needs time, that s our role to push this. oh and for some of them it will never be possible to open something... let s wait the next generations...
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    well most of the students in your class are probably not used to songs that have lyrics containing more than one syllable. Freddie was an awesome singer.

@Ricky six: The voice of anyone from any country can be trained to hit any octave. It depends on the practice and what type of singing they are doing. Chinese singing is definitely good, but to compare the two styles will subtract from the value of the singing. All music has its place in the human ear. Tibetan, Mongolian, Beijing opera, Queen, African bushmen songs, etc.... Even though we may not think they all sound good or that they are suitable to our taste they are still music and carry the value that music carries.

When do you guys play again in Beijing? Id like to go see your show again... "The Best Fucking Band in the World!!!!" Hell yeah!
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    Can I Kick it ? Yes you can!
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    -------
    james brown
    sly and the family stone
    jimi hendrix
    the yard birds?
    the doors
    pink floyd
    -------

I think the problem is that you're old.

As far as what Chinese clubs that play metal? Christ if you've been here for 7 years and don't know, you've never looked. Metal is huge even in bum fuck provincial no name towns. Any day of the week you can see Metal in Beijing. A bunch of lawyers didn't like your favorite band and your reaction is "Barbarians!" Seriously dude, get some perspective. How much do you know about Chinese music? How much do american corporate lawyers know about Chinese music. How much do western musicians and music fans know about eastern music...the reverse? I guarantee you Ricky knows more about 80s metal than anyone on this forum, and on par with any serious American metal head, despite being completely cut off from it. If you wanna start making sweeping generalizations about Chinese music fans go to a fucking rock show and then ask people about Queen, not your business english class, you twat.

(btw, they'll still tell you queen sucks)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I think every donkey knows queen. And we should know that not all that has melody qualifies to be good music. Music is not all about that, it is about everything including the smallest of beats in the song. As for Asian music, well, it is good and what amuses me is that it is never played in Beijing clubs. What a contrast!!!!
    **** wrote:
    the kinks, the kooks, phoenix(france!), placebo, Noir desir(france!) , the ides of march, R.E.M, the box tops.

fracking legend!
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    tl;and crazy disjointed so i just skimmed it...

I don't really like metal anyway, settle down. on the other hand i am really impressed by the conversation you had with that guy and place you were 30 years ago.
  • Anya Koren
    Anya Koren wrote:
    PUNK PUNK PUNK!!!
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    Before hoping others to appreciate your things, Can I suggest that you need learn to appreciate others' things; or at least know that others have no obligation to agree with you or learn to like the things you like, unless you are the lord of the universe.

Regards
    朗月吃蕉
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    btw, mayhem is older than I am. chinese kids aren't the only ones that don't listen to the same music you listened to in high school
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    The western music played in clubs around Beijing makes me wanna vomit! Commercial Hip Hop and all the other bubble gum music disgust me.

Freddy Mercury is a legend.
  • Patrick Coleman
    @ astaroth

there is a metal scene in beijing, they have death metal, glam metal, punk metal etc.

go to MAO for a start, tis locatad at gu lou dong da jie at dong cheng district.
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    Adam? are u living in beijng? or in manchester?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.