Discussion » Beijing Life » What do you carry for ID?

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:
    Do I need to bring around my passport all the time? It gets really messed up in my pockets. Can I just go get a Chinese issued ID card for foreigners or something?
  • №❶ Passioη
    where you're working, they can make you an ID card easily... but you must have medical insurance and pay tax.. Oh, that part sucks
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm gonna be a student. Not 100% sure if I'll be working or not yet. Have something in my sights but it's not a sure thing yet and I'm going to be in China on a student visa, not a work visa. I guess my student ID will suffice? But in America your student ID does not count as an official ID so I'm wondering how it works here for us expats...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I know as a fact that my wife does not carry her passport (and hence the visa) with her all the time ... I do carry my HK pass (not the actual HK ID card) with me all the time as a habit ...

stupid question: why do you want to carry any ID with you? for going into the club because you look too young? or you look too much like a criminal?
  • Simen Wangberg
    Yeah man...no one I know carries around their I.D. 24/7. Losing a passport would be waaay worse than getting hassled by a cop for a few minutes before he lets you off the hook anyway for being foreign. At least, I understand that's how it usually happens, unless you do something truly retarded like beat up an ATM. This happened.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm a bit paranoid. What happens if I get hit by a bus and have no ID on me? Maybe I'll just make a copy of my passport and keep it on my person just to make sure people can identify the body. Wanna make sure my parents can come to claim my body or something at least...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Unless you are dead or in a coma, any second you are conscious, just speak in English, they wont care whether you are a local or foreigner ... once I had an accident at the subway station, I was about 40% out of it, but I spoke not a word in Chinese until they walked me to the police station ...

I am sorry if this might offend anyone, but the truth is, if you speak in English, a lot of people, especially police officials, are more paranoid than you are ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I have never moved with my passport and i have never been asked by anyone. What i know about Beijing police is that they will never disturb a foreigner. They are nor into being bothered about spoken to in English.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Maybe I'll just make a copy of my passport..."

This is a MUCH better idea. I know several people that do this actually, I don't know why I didn't suggest it in the first place. Brilliant
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Passport. It's not unheard of to be stopped when passing between Hebei and Beijing.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I think your Tsinghua ID will be quite suffice for almost all situations :)
    btw, the strategy of "speaking english" will work well when cops are there, but better not try it unrestricted, esp. when no cops there~
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    it's a good point. there's a legal requirement which few foreigners adhere to. I believe you can get away with carrying a photocopy though - problem solved.
  • Christian Jacques, Photography
    Photocopy of your passport and Embassy ID (size of credit card) if you get one. Unless going other city wher I would need for hotels, my passport stay safe home.
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    No one asked me for my ID in 4 years,I just keep my student ID with me.
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    get a certified print of your passport so you can carry them around...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sounds good, thanks guys. Just worried a bit that it might be illegal for me to copy my own passport or something. I know there are certain documents you are not allowed to photocopy, for instance my certificate of naturalization to the US.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.