Discussion » Technology » Press Release - what the hell is it?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

I was not sure where to slot this thread, as it is not a language related question, nor is it specific to Chinese or foreign culture, so I thought "Technology" seems appropriate, hahaha ...

However, I also cannot help but think that, with so many "writers" (or columnists) on this site, there is not a forum category for them to throw ideas? Or is "throwing ideas" an alien concept for these people?

Anyway, back to "press release", what is it? ...

There might be an opportunity for me to write "press release" as a freelance, I even did a "writing test" for the company and I had expected to fail, but it came out as "average", so I must have done something right though I dont know what it is ...

If anyone here has any experience or even concept about writing "press release", independent of languages, your feedback would be much appreciated ...

Cheers!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Wikipedia: Press Release.

They are the sole reason why my Gmail capacity is always hovering at 99%. "You'll never have to delete another email ever again," my ass, Google.

Trivia for the day: The accumulation of press releases in one's Inbox is commonly referred to as the "editorial slush pile."

I delete most of them. Sorry, PR people.

Writing a press release isn't difficult: Just convey the information that you'd like to be disseminated in clear and concise language. Get straight to the point about what you're announcing and what action you'd like the media to take (editorial coverage, invitation to event, etc.)
  • 哥们
    哥们 wrote:
    a press release is sent to 1) the press and/or 2) clients/competitors in order to advertise a product, result, activity, workshop, changes in management and so on. The pure reason of a press release is selfishness. The company/institution whatsoever wants to advertise but doesn't call it advertisement.
    As journalists (unemployed generalists who are too old to call themselves students but do not want to write unemployed on their name card -> freelance journalist) typically do not manage to take proper notes in real press conferences, a press conference is held for the sake of the photographs and nice trailers. The press gets an advance written press release which provides the details (company XXX announces on day XXX that their GM XXX has signed a contract with company XXX from XXX on the exchange of product XXX. Product XXX was developed by XXX) and so on. Even if without press conference, this can be sent to the press, so they'll print it for company XXX.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Remember that you're writing FOR journalists. If you write LIKE journalists, they will appreciate it. That means you want your most important information in the first paragraph, and the specific details in the lower parts.

Press releases should mainly be designed to catch the attention of editors, but it should also be written in such a way as to make the reporter's job easier. Answer the 5Ws (who, what, where, when, why), and provide contact information for anyone in the organization who might be able to give a smart quote. Happy reporters are sympathetic reporters. Save them some hassle and they'll have more time to schmooze.

Fuck I hate looking at it that way, but it's true.

A well written press release also covers the organization's ass in case the reporter is lazy and doesn't do his job. It sucks, but sometimes the editors have to fill space, and sometimes articles get written with little more than the information provided in the press release, a photo, and a phoned-in quote.

But on the other hand, if the reporter is clever, he's going to have more time to dig deeper and ask more complicated questions. PR folks have to be careful not to be too good, especially if their organization has any problems they don't want brought to light.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Find out where the Journo hangs out, get them drunk and then do your pitch.

Much more effective than a press release
  • Undermoonlight
    In China (and maybe in many countries), Press Release is basically institutional craps which are fed to those incompetent, corrupted jounalists...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.