Discussion » Nonsense » TED

• 赛博 - Saibo
    赛博 - Saibo wrote:
    Probably some of you already know this website full of video conferences from people with great knowledge and passion. It's called TED. Emerged from a conference held every year in the US somewhere in California. And each speaker is given 18 minutes to make the greatest pitch of his life regarding a topic he knows about.

It originally was only about technology and design but evolved and is now open to any topic. The conferences also branched and you now have some TED conf in India and Paris, and pretty much anywhere where people are interested and can put a great conference together, you could organize it. Then all the content is available online.

Some conferences I really liked:
    Evgeny Morozov: How the Net aids dictatorships
    From software exec to electric car revolutionary: Exclusive interview with Shai Agassi
    Rebecca Saxe: How we read each other's minds I highly recommend this one. It's a wonderful insight on how and why we judge and react to other peoples actions.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Links 1 and 2 are busted, dude.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Oooops:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/evgeny_morozov_is_the_internet_what_orwell_feared.html
    and
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/shai_agassi_on_electric_cars.html
    and
    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/rebecca_saxe_how_brains_make_moral_judgments.html
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Evgeny Morozov's presentation was spot on, especially when he mentions the survey showing that Chinese youngsters have been much more eager about adopting Internet lifestyles. If the Internet was truly a force of anti-authoritarian social change instead of just a medium, then China would look very different, right?

I bought into a lot of naive technocratic idealism back when I was in university, and I was quite excited when Anonymous took it upon itself to fight Scientology. But China's 5 mao party and the human flesh search engine are really forcing me to moderate those ideals.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Are Rebecca Saxe's speech changed my mind about neuroscience. I used to be butthurt that they'd get expensive grants to play with MRI machines while good old fashioned Sociology programs keep suffering from cutbacks.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Yeah, I used to believe too that the tool (internet) was enough to achieve the goal. But a tool is just a tool, and anyone, whatever he is fighting for can use it. That presentation really changed my vision of this issue.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    ^ And, not "Are"

Derp

Yup. I Wish I didn't ignore my sociology professors when they said the same shit in a less interesting manner.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Nice Chinese name, by the way. I didn't realize what it meant 'til now.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    TED is a fantastic website. I used to be addicted to it when I was back in the US. Damn internet speeds are so slow in China that I rarely have the patience to sit down and wait for the vids to load. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes I can barely get anything to show up. But this conversation is making me miss it even more. I gotta get back on the TED bandwagon.

Anybody know how to download their vids to your hard drive? I teach international relations to Chinese college kids and I'm always looking to push the boundaries on what I'm allowed to show them. TED seems like a treasure trove of wisdom that these kids should see.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    @Ethan: there's a download link directly on the video page to get the video right on your hard drive!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.