Discussion » Employment Opportunities » Chinese Jobseekers

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Just curious if I can find some more places to suggest to my friends and girlfriend who are considering leaving their current jobs and looking at employments ads for more options: where do you guys(and girls!) normally look online for job advertisements?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

51job.com ... chinahr.com ... but I have not seen any major distinction in the IT sector on these two sites, it seems that most firms place ads in both sites ...

For high end jobs (more than 30k per month), you wont find too many of them online, these are usually done by word-of-mouth and most head hunters have pool of executives to choose from ...
  • Daniel Westerberg
    You should help them with their CVs also, I noticed that most Chinese write really really crappy CVs when applying for jobs..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... crappy? how about disastrous? or horrifying?
  • Daniel Westerberg
    yes those words work also :P
    man if I could write good CVs myself, I would start a company to help Chinese job seekers write good CVs and would probobly earn a bunch of cash on it :P
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well, good luck man. Personally i gave up looking for a job and now i am just about enjoying life. I would not be given because of what i do not want to say anyway. But first, make sure the CV is right and neat, then decide which particular jobs they want and go for them. Otherwise, with this influx of job seekers, a CV in a very poor shape of health will not be any good.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it might actually be easy money ... beause Chinese tend to be more concerned about how "pretty" (and/or sophicated) is the CV than the actual content ...

I once worked for the Recruit section of an oursourcing firm here in Beijing, and sometimes they asked me to "improve" the CV of the engineers (I mostly adjust the format and corrected the grammar, dont like to lie about someone though), and you could find all kinds of BIG words in the CV ... words that look nice, but does not say much ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahhahaa, maybe that is why i could not get employed on the other hand. I always right using very simple clear English. Then now i have to employ scuds to get through, or maybe use William Shakespeare's English.

Interesting.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... in that case, may I suggest going through a good American thesaurus or American dictionary, look for BIG words that you have never used or heard of before, just throw them into random spots on your CV, and you will be surprised how well-received it might be ... by the way, DONT used Shakespearean English, because it is not American English, and most Chinese dont recognise it as English ... hahahaha ...

Oh, that reminds me ... I once, when I was working in Recruit, interviewed a twenty-something recent graduate, and being me, I was mainly responsible for testing his English skill ... it would be an understatement to say that I was shocked to find someone who can match my speed, however, the double shock was that none of what he said made any sense ... so I stopped him, and asked if he knew that his oral English was all crap, and he confidently replied "yes", and when I asked why did he speak so fast, his reply was that if he spoke fast enough, no one would be able to notice his mistakes and he can cheat it ... and ladies and gentlemen, that's the Chinese education system at works :)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahhahaa I would give him the job myself first time. It shows how bright and innovative he is.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... kids like him are everywhere in China ... you might even see one or two lurking on this site :)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahhahaa, i met one in a school in Guomao SOHO A. who was teaching others spoken English. When he saw me he asked there and then, "American?" I said "no, Jamaican" He said "Ohh American, i can see you." So i asked him, "Have you been to America?" Then he said, " Well, i am not so sure.". He walked off to go and teach English. I was amazed.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahahaha ... my bet is that he has an English name or some sort? Next time you meet him, if there is ever a next time, tell him you have got him a better name, Ediot ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahhahhaahahhaaaa, i was so much disappointed. He seemed to pretend that he understands so quickly that by the end, he actually had nothing in his noddle. I just can not imagine what he teaches.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... flash back ... back in primary school, I had no idea how to say "The Lord's Prayer" or "Hail Mary", so I mumbled my words ...

I am sorry to say (and see) that Chinese like him can actually make better living than those who can really understand and speak properly ... one thing for sure, he knows how to kiss ass ... again, you will find quite a few of those on this site ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I can never tell about this site anyway, but it is amazing how English is taught here. I gave up teaching because the two times i was called for an interview, the first one the lady was clear and i understood why. The second time, the girl's English was in shambles, it was not only filthy, but stinking too. I walked off.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... the IN thing here is to get a language partner ... or is that actually OUT? I dont really know, and I dont really care, I just want to tell insurance ... hahahaha ...

The girl from the second time was filthy? stinking? I hate to ask, but what was she trying to do to you?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well, she owned the school and was trying to interview me with her filthy stinking English. Hardly any correct sentence, and neither could all the words be articulated. But she was beautiful, that is all i wanted to stay. HAahahhahahaaa
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... then the next one-million-yuan question is, did she let you stay? And where did you stay? Hahahaha ... but remember, gentlemen dont kiss and tell ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahahhaaaa, i did not stay anyway. I walked off because the school did not look to be progressive.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Who was talking about the school? I sure was not ... hahahaha ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahhahhaa, you thought i stayed in the school, or in the interviewer?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    So at the moment i am jobless, and planing to go back for the interview. Maybe i will get one of the two, the job or the interviewer.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I did not say anything about "in the interviewer", did I? But since you brought it up, did you?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahahhahaa

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.