Discussion » Technology » China Unicom

• 赛博 - Saibo
    赛博 - Saibo wrote:
    So I have a new phone that should be able to take advantage of the awesomely fast 3G network of China Unicom.

My boss is trying to get me a number from there. Here is what we've tried so far:
    From internet, you have to enter a chinese ID card number... FAIL
    So we gave them a phone call to ask where there was a Unicom shop so a foreigner can get a Sim Card and phone plan.
    They told us the address of a shop, but cannot tell us if that shop can open accounts for foreigners.
    Asked where we could get that info
    Good! It seems we just have to call another phone number and ask them.
    So we ask which is that other phone number and the answer is "I'm sorry I'm not allowed to tell you".

My boss knows a senior manager at china unicom so he just asked him and it seems that for real, they haven't thought of any way for a foreigner to get a number from them.

I still can't believe this is true. I'm sure some foreigners use that (if you got it from your company that doesn't count).
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Not too long ago, someone asked about this already, right? Or was it about China Mobile 3G? I dont know much about China Unicom, but based on what you said, it seems that both C Mobile and C Unicom operates in much the same way ...

So my suggestion would be to get someone local (someone with a China ID card, and I am sure you know a lot of them) with you, go to China Unicom, set up an account using his/her name, and you just need to pay the bills, otherwise your friend would be responsible ... and because legally, you dont own that number, so if you need to set up roaming, cancel, or make any changes, you will need him/her to go with you ...

Or ... is there any reason you cannot make this arrangement, other than you dont want to involve or trouble someone else?

It is very inconvenient, but it is how the system works ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Yeah that's what will eventually happen if foreigners really can't in any way directly get a Unicom plan.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Saibo, and the inconvenience does not stop there ... Daniel complained about credit card before ... and I am sure a few people are interested about trading shares on the SH or SZ stock exchange ...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Seems like I'm the first foreigner to ask them about that.... Now that senior manager from unicom personally came to my office to see what he could try to do. Next news on monday!
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    really, i like the name of this company, sounds very good for the spanish ears, like
    ¨única compañía¨, like the One Ring
  • Peteris Baltrunkis
    Haha, I'm right there with you Thorstan. I was all ready for some ancient Chinese myths or history or something, and it's just people complaining about phones and services I can't even afford. I guess I'll just go back to watching Three Kingdoms now...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.