Discussion » Dating & Romance » who likes the pope?

• Jarg
    Jarg wrote:
    what his name? Benderdick, or something? Anyway good bloke.
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    He looks evil.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    The Archbishops really screwed the pooch when they picked a former Hitler Youth who looks like motherfucking Emperor Palpatine instead of a person of color, who might more accurately represent people from South America and Africa, where the church is actually growing.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Though I have been a RC all my life, I dont have much attachment with the Vatican, and I feel quite neutral about who is the Pope ...

As far as I know, the Pope had always been chosen based on merit and experience, but as Dando might have hinted, there had been too much of a pull to choose a caucasian, especially someone of European (or eastern European) origin ...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    All German kids who grew up during that time were forced to become Hitler Youth, so the smear is really without merit. If you're going to hate on Emperor Palpatine, do so for his institutionalized efforts to cover up pedophilia.

But I do agree that those Guineas should have chosen a replacement for John Paul from a place where the church is actually growing and not in a state of profound atrophy.
  • Simen Wangberg
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I know, but then there is also the fact that he's old enough to have been Hitler Youth, which is itself pretty chilling. But hey that means that we might be lucky and only have to put up with him for a decade.

I'm just a recovering Catholic, though, so it's not like I really care. And anyway, even when I was going to Sunday school and all that other bullshit, I was left with the impression that the Vatican was very far away, and the decisions made there weren't very important.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... Mike, what happened to the horns?

Dando ... as a matter of fact, the Vatican is so far away from China that the bishop here is not elected by the church but by the Chinese government, or sort of like that ...

To a certain extent, I would also use "far away", but that's the time scale ... I mean, they are really behind in many things, including abortion and contraception, and I believe they should update (or upgrade) that ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    DD,
    Actually, compared to the Cold Warrior before him, Benedict seems comparatively warm to the idea of ordaining those whacky Patriotic Catholics or whatever the hell they're called here.

And yeah, that's especially when you're talking about the developing world, where the Church is gaining in influence. But I hear a lot of missionaries hand out condoms in Africa on the sly, no matter what Emperor Palpatine has to say about it. So it ain't all bad.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... should plan a trip with my back pack to Africa before I die :)
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ...it's the same question as who likes confucius?..who likes mohammed?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I'm not going to compose a list of "top 50 worst humans in history", because I think I'd miss out on some groups that I'd like to offend, but the pope (any pope to date?) is definitely on there.

The pope's principle function in as I understand it is to tell the impoverished and uneducated idiots who actually believe that he speaks the words of a god that they will go to hell if they use condoms. Thus, the pope is directly responsible for both the spreading of AIDS and the poverty (resulting from having too many children and not enough resources) that results from the church's nonsense.

Of course, the educated wealthy people who profess to believe in Catholicism promptly ignore this nonsense about unprotected sex being a sin, so maybe the pope is doing all of us a favor by guaranteeing that their will always be an impoverished third world to do our labour, and that said impoverished labour force won't live too long, so there's no danger of them getting wealthy and taking something from the pots of us first / new worlders.

Jojo, don't even start on Confucius. That sick classist is at the very top of my list of people who have done terrible, irreversible damage to China. Yes, even ahead of the big M.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Would it be terribly inappropriate to say "I'd hit it?"
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Ming, "Thus, the pope is directly responsible for both the spreading of AIDS and the poverty (resulting from having too many children and not enough resources) that results from the church's nonsense" ... that brought back flashes from the movie "The Meaning of Life" (or another Monty Python movie?), where the Catholic family (lots of kids, maybe 20?) lives in a poot neighbourhood, and the Protestants family (one or two, having used contraception) is quite well off ...
  • Simen Wangberg
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Jon, no, I wouldn't consider that inappropriate....

DD, yeah I think it's "the meaning of life". The song titled "Every sperm is sacred"

Every sperm is Sacred.
    Every sperm is Great!
    If a sperm is wasted,
    God gets quite irate!
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    excuse me 莫明...i do respect your views on such things ,,,
    ...and for the record these people are one of the reasons and guides on what we should do to our daily lives...neither you follow them or not ,it's still up to us to decide for ourselves...
    now who likes who...?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I prefer Laozi.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Who likes who?

All religions are noxious, particularly Islam. It's a backwards and intolerant belief system that demeans women and condones violence.

Religion of piece, my ass. And fuck Confucianism, too. While I'm at it, fuck all "isms," including racism, sexism, nationalism and even institutionalized atheism.

These belief systems had their place in the past, but in an increasingly-globalized and scientific world, they should go the way of the dinosaurs.

While maintaining an internal belief system as a guide is cool, the institutionalized application of said systems have caused more harm and grief to the world than anything imaginable.

Apologies if anyone finds that offensive, but I'm just answering your question. Actually, I shouldn't have even chimed in, because this will inevitably lead to lots of butthurt.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ..well some facts are given .....
    ...whoever we like ....there's still always flaws within them....
    ....the great thing is we know whom and which is good for ourselves...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    the great thing is we know whom and which is good for ourselves

Yeah, exactly. Too bad everyone doesn't adhere to that self-contained paradigm of thinking.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ...uhmmmmm i second the motion.....=)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    You should consider replacing Wolfmorganthaler cartoons with Danish doodles of Muhammed.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Thought more about this; if anyone finds themselves having the AIDS, and being in a position with the opportunity to sodomize the pope, please have at it. Remember not to use a rubber!
  • Amalie Sæverud
    what? AIDS everywhere, is there any possibility you put it under a wrong thread?
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Who cares about Pope? He is more an awkward-costumed mascot than an overrated top man of christianity. Somehow the only celebrity never worries about speech given could go wrong since everybody is too busy pretending that they give a damn.

And speaking of the christian world..I'm quite surprised that Jehova's witness doesn't take over yet. -o-.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Well said, Ms. Mojito.

But no need to worry about the Jehovah's Witnesses. If any Christian spin-off sect will take over, it'll probably be the Mormons.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Nikkie, baby, no mistake. AIDS is everywhere, and I blame the pope! Well, in China I blame some other organization, but outside of China I blame the pope. Bang that dude!
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ...out of the topic...duhhhhh.................ewwwwwwwwweeeeeeeee............
    .......blame yourself if you got AIDS...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Jojo,
    If I got AIDS, I would blame myself, because I know better, and except in extremely rare accidental cases, AIDS is easily preventable.
    But, if someone in poverty, with no education and no critical thinking skills got AIDS because they were brought up to believe that the pope spoke the word of God and God demanded that they not use protection when they had sex, well, I blame the pope.
    Off topic, but who should 1/3 of the people in Hebei blame for the AIDS they got from donating blood? I guess not the pope.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Come on, 莫明, I know how much you like to critisize Chinese government, and for most occasions I think we are in the same team, but what's the hell of this "who should 1/3 of the people in Hebei blame for the AIDS they got from donating blood? I guess not the pope. " ?

He Bei Province has a population of 67,440,000, the 1/3 of it would be 22,480,000, but the AIDS patients of the whole China is about 740,000. Do I need to say anything else?

And He Nan is famous for getting AIDS from donating blood in the past, not He Bei.

Please do me a favor, do some homework first:-)

If you try to be sarcastic, then try to use appropriate sarcasm.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    莫明.hahaha...
    ...I think you need more research..coz' the things you were telling is actually somewhat a twisted theory of your mind..
    ....The Vatican really reacted about the "Sex stuff"..and for the record again It's actually about controlling the world's growing population.,the pope is somewhat against the use of artificial contraceptives,e.g condoms,pills,etc....Because they're pursuing the people to use natural methods to avoid getting pregnant such as withdrawal...
    ...And on such AIDS cases you've been telling it's actually the health department who should be asked about it...
    .....Indeed off the topic but someone needs to be properly informed before blaming others....
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I think you mean abstinence, not withdrawal. The Church doesn't condone any form of sexual activity unless it is for the purpose of making babies for them to baptize.

Though I must say it'd be hilarious to see a Bishop instructing parishioners to practice coitus interruptus.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:

Dando Z 单独子,,,abstinence are intended for those people who works on church as priest,nun etc,,,and excuse me church doesn't really condone any form of sexual activity they are just Controlling it and not Stopping it....
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Maria,

Yes, that was an intentional exaggeration, as I believe is the official number of 740,000, a number so low that were it true I would be right among those who claim that AIDS just isn't a problem. Actually, I don't blame the government for the Hebei ghost towns - how could they know that people would be so bloody greedy and stupid (I'm talking about the guys who went from town to town with an AIDS machine here). Actually, ok I do blame the govt for hiding the information instead of educating people, and for pretending for so long that China doesn't have an AIDS problem.

Jojo, everything you said is incorrect, so I think your criticism deserves very little merit in this case. Dando is correct, they just want more babies to baptize, because a pyramid scheme only works if you can keep adding new members...
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    莫明, there are some AIDS towns in China, but Shang Cai of He Nan is the most "famous" place for getting AIDS by donating blood as it's the first village get publicised by media. That's why I assumed you were mistaken about the place. Sorry!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Priests are expected to be chaste, with the exception of buggering altar boys.

But who can blame them? In Sunday school, we learn to stick out our tongues and cup our hands to receive the sacrament. I could hardly blame a priest for wanting to jam one in. It's a very suggestive pose.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ....out of the topic...much ado about nothing...
    .......comprehension skills still lacks...
    ..........maybe scientific method can help...hehehe....
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @jojo G
    Did you do some literature?
    **** wrote:
    Any religions is a sickness!

''Religion is the worst institution that ever shone on man''
    Jefferson.

Humanity is going toward it's end, 2012 is near and more and more bads things are happening day after day.
    Religion push men to use it as a mean of power over other man
    Religion give a excusew for any kind of violents thoughts or will and also to every weakness.
    Religion push weak people to hide from the truth and not to question themselves
    Religion stop people from being humble and being better.

There is a movie about a comic show guy in US who's going in different countries and interview all kind of religious people and he question them about their beliefs: the amazing things is that thought he show to all of them that they don't have proof they keep believing like fanatist, crazy, stubborn people.
    when you see this movie you cannot believe in any god anymore because it is so obvious that religion is a joke but if you keep believed in it thats means either you are stupid either you are damn stubborn either you don't want to face the thruth and the hard choices you have to make alone in life because you are weak.

How can you believe in a talking snake, and a virgin birth, in people living beyond their death and in the fact that god always pick someone to speak for him!!!!!!!
    The ten commandements are a real puzzle!
    on ten only two of them are actually real laws: ''don't steal and don't kill''
    the 4 first ones are only about god and only one god and that he is a jaleous god, i thought god was mercyful and full of love but he dare says that if on your own will and freedom of talk which is a result of equality of all men which is a thought that god himself defend, so off that he you choose not to believe in him he will still throw you in the flame of hell!!.

Christianity is a one god religion but if you put all the saints,angels,arkangels,god,the son,Mary,Joseph and many others, well it does seems like a many gods religions like Greeks and Romans!

In Italia, do you know who is the 6th person to whom the italians pray to when they have trouble? It's Jesus!!! come on i thoutht that as son of god and main characters of the bible he would be 1rst or 2nd but no!

A other thing the new testament was written by people who never saw,met jesus, he was dead long before they wrote the book which means they just wrote stories.

A other things if i had no legs because of a accident and i say that why should i pray to a god to protect and help me when he allowed the lost of my legs in the first place, many people would say ''that's because god want you to learn by yourself''...ect well in this case i say then why don't you really learn by youself and get rid of god once and for all and start learning life by yourself and stop praying to god everytime you got problems.

Here is the truth, listen:

GOD IS MANIPULATIV, HE IS SOURCE OF POWER FOR ANY MEGALOMAN PEOPLE.
    GOD WANTS YOU TO LOVE , BUT ONLY IF IT'S HIM
    GOD MAKES HARD THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU BECAUSE HE WANTS YOU TO LEARN BY YOURSELFS BUT ACTUALLY IT'S BECAUSE HE WANTS YOU TO KEEP PRAYING FOR HIM, BECAUSE IF EVERYTHINGS IS GREAT THEN WHAY SHOULD YOU STILLE PRAY TO HIM.

Religion is never stronger when world is in trouble

so maybe the pope is good or bad, i don't know and i don't care.
    What i know is that as long as any religion(Christians, Muslims, Jews,others) will keep being present and having followers, humanity will never get to wisdoms, world peace and don't stand a chance.

**** wrote:
    sorry a huge mistake.

Religions gets stronger everytime the world is in trouble
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Is the world in trouble? Well, i take some more wine. There is no reason for me to die sober.
    **** wrote:
    You can't deny it's getting worse just look where we are,last year china was fine , there been a big earthquake but that was the major catastrophe. this year there is a huge drought, and also a other earthquake, also mining accident also very long cold,heavy snow, huge rainfall right now in south and many social disorders. that's just in China, but there is also the problem in Thailand, the new korea hit, the earthquake in south america and the iceland volcans erruption ....

i do think the worl has been better, and we are kind of stuck, so the world has to change faces somehow and in humankind history most major changes comes after a great cataclysm
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    "hang the pop" a song of "nuclear assault"...
    The christian values are respectable. It s never bad to be honest, don t steal, love the others etc etc. Most of the holy writ in all the religions are in this kind of direction. The problem is always the interpretation of these texts.
    if jesus come nowadays, will he be against condom? one of the point of the bible is tolerance and love? did he burn witches in the 16th century? is mohammed is really a fan of jihad?
    People are using religion as a pretext for war but the real reason are usually economic. These religion excuses are more often use in countries who are not well developed. USA, invade Irak for the petrol and all the resources and the new market that the US need in the name of Freedom.
    it s always the same 'Lust for'
    @ Alban Raysse,
    i m like u, i don t really like religion, but if it can helps people to get good values and a direction about their behaviors and their life, it s maybe a good thing.
    All this is always a question of balance, nothing is black nothing is white, u have to think gray.
    Oh, and about the pop, on my taste he is probably the king of the 'mei you yi si'

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.