Discussion » Beijing Life » Survey about Attractiveness amongst Chinese people

• Cedric
    Cedric wrote:
    I need to conduct a survey for people living in China. It would be ideal if you were Chinese. However if you have a different ethnic background but was born in China and are currently living in China then please state your nationality. This is for my University essay.

If you want to skip questions it is up to you but all help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

1. What skin tone colour do you prefer?
    a) white b) yellow (chinese) c) brown d) dark e) no preference.

2. what factors influence your decision?
    a) media
    b) experience of travelling to other countries or interactions with people coming from different countries.
    c) social upbringing
    d) not sure

3. how old are you?

4. what is your yearly sallary?

5. Do have any western friends?

6. What do you do for a living?

7. Do you use skin whitening products?
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    1. south asian! (dark yellow?)
    2. personal tast?!
    3. mid 30
    4. i dont wanna know
    5. yes
    6. good question
    7. hell, no!

what is the connection between prefered skin color for the mating and one's salery? It all rather sounds like a survey for some skin care products.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    this is a skin toning product company....they will eventually follow u in ur inbox or ur guestbook trying to sell their products silently
    lol
  • Simen Stensvoll
    well,i don't think this is a survey ,but ur sneaking my privacy
    so i won't give my answer,sorry
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Ridiculous, what do you really wanna know?
    **** wrote:
    what kind of university are you in?

mental defficientcy one?!
  • 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    1,white 2,not sure 3,4,5,6,skip 7,never,I think the skin whitening products are all useless
  • Simen Wangberg
    China Beijing Mental Deficiency And Petroleum Technology University?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Cedric,

I'm going to take a wild uneducated guess and tell you that it's all related to status.
    Traditionally, Chinese with dark skin are the ones who are exposed to more sun, meaning that they are farmers, are poor, and thus have low social status.
    Conversely, the un-muscled with pale complexions must be rich enough to avoid the farms, and are of higher social status.
    This is why some mainland people think Caucasians are all rich, and why the girls try to keep their skin lighter than mine :-p
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Ming, we should all pour bleach over ourselves, and you can bet that we will look like a million yuans, no, a gazillion yuans ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    You suck at social science, kid. This is the shittiest survey I've ever seen. Posters on this forum are not a random sample of any population. Even if you had non-biased questions, the only people who will answer are computer nerds with too much time on their hands.
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Just arrived on the Beijing market........Skin Blackening Products - Brings out the gangsta in YOU!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    All right. I'll bite.

I was constructive, Peter. I said he's in the wrong place. And that's far better advice than the pedantic bullshit you spewed about question "bias". Check your usage of that word, by the way. You're using it in a simple pejorative sense, and that's completely inappropriate in the context of social research. Bias refers more to what I was talking about regarding sampling, which makes your rhetorical concerns pretty trivial by comparison.

Furthermore, it's perfectly acceptable to hide a hypothesis in survey questions. The trick is to make sure that it stays hidden. And it wouldn't constitute a form of confirmation bias if the sample is representative.

Cedric,
    Sorry to be harsh, but this is a lazy approach to survey research, comparable to a journalist interviewing someone over an instant messenger program. You'll have much better luck if you use analytical methods, such as comparing the skin tones of models in magazine advertisements. Jean Kilborne's Killing Us Softly lecture series is a must-see if you're talking about the way media influences our perception of beauty.

Sadly, the resources necessary for proper survey research are pretty much out of reach for undergraduates. Stick with the analytical stuff.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dando, Dando, Dando ... recalling what you had told me before, well, let's just say I have tears in my eyes now :)

Cedric ... my guess is that you are a Chinese native studying in US, is that correct? And my second guess is that you are new to WLIB? I suggest you run your survey (revived or otherwise) among the contacts on your QQ list, being that if anyone here cares to answer you, that's unlikely to meet your requirement, i.e. non Chinese etc ...
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    U should maybe ask to Michael Jackson why he wanted to be white too? damn it! he s dead... mei shi...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Cedric,
    Threads can't be deleted unless you ask a mod. I wouldn't worry about it though. Nothing on this site is really unacceptable. Or it would get river crabbed.

Perhaps you can find someone to scan advertisements for you and send them to you over the Internet?
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    1. What skin tone colour do you prefer?
    I Really wanna get Tanned!!!!! cuz Dark Skin associates with dynamic and active personality!!!

2. what factors influence your decision?
    a) media
    b) experience of travelling to other countries or interactions with people coming from different countries.

3. how old are you?

4. what is your yearly sallary?
    i'm at uni now.

5. Do have any western friends?
    jaja

6. What do you do for a living?
    Student

7. Do you use skin whitening products?
    Never!!!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.