Discussion » Nonsense » Logistics involved for opening a nightclub in Beij

• Vincent AKA 文森特
    Vincent AKA 文森特 wrote:
    Dear WLIBJ friends :)

I good friend of mine, a dual nightclub owner from Washington DC wants to expand his interests to Beijing. He'll be in Beijing in August and requested me to do some research on the matter.
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

(paperwork, best way to go about it etc. etc.)

• Erik Aleksander Aas
    Done the "hit the scene thing" and gotta agree the club scene in BJ is pretty lame. Was thinking more in the line of the legal processes involved. Where do you apply for a licence? Is it better to have a Chinese business partner? Registration for tax purposes etc. etc.

• Børge Notkevich
    If you would like professional legal advice, send me a message with details of what you need, and I can advice you on what the procedures are.
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    dont sweat it, my take
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Is it better to have a Chinese business partner?"

Maybe. Dunno. Maybe your friend should ask this guy how he feels about having had a Chinese business partner.
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    will be definitely more easy to have a chinese partner, because of the regulations. But U have to find the good one!!! i mean an honest one or at least one who have the 'guanxi' cause here it s the main point...
    good luck.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Ah fuck!

What'd they do to Kro?!
  • Simen Wangberg
    Yeah man, you've missed some drama around these parts. Sounds like he's being forced out of his own business by his Chinese partner. Of course, that's the slant TBJ/City Weekend gives it. Yuan Jie has yet to make any kind of official public statement, so who knows. Kind of ridiculous that they were in business together so long without officiating anything, but it sounds like Yuan Jie was stonewalling on that front.

Had their pizza last night for dinner and it was still delicious, so I'm pretty indifferent I guess. Serves as a warning for those foreign enterpreneurs that might be looking to hook up with a Chinese business partner though. I doubt that this is the first time something like this has happened over here.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Yeah I read about it in Global Times. I'm sure this shit happens a lot. It's impossible for foreign entrepreneurs to get the right licensing without relying on verbal agreements with Chinese partners. Kro couldn't have been here on a proper visa.

I love Kro's pizza. It really is the best deal in town. But I'd be willing to boycott this. It would be a little harder than giving up Taco Bell, McDonald's, or Burger King, that's for sure... and it's not like Kro is a farm worker in Immokalee. But come on.

This... uh... this aggression will not stand. Man.

Bring back Kro! Also, W.T. Snacks.
  • Daniel Westerberg
    Kro seems like a nice guy, always friendly and a happy face. I feel a bit sad about him being f** over, but this shit happens all over the world if you don't get your deals written on papper!
    When I read the comments regarding Kro being ripped off, I get the feeling that most guys seems to thing that it's only "evil Chinese that screws their foreign buisness partners", but this is far from the truth, Money will make people do things you never thought they would do. Just look at facebook and what happened when that "small enterprise" got built buy some campus guys..
  • Simen Wangberg
    Sadly, the visa thing is probably what's going to come back to bite him in the ass. Even if they did get their agreements on paper, Yuan Jie would probably just pull some more guanxi at the cop shop again (like he did when he summoned the cops the first time) and Kro would be on the next flight to Thailand or some such.

I do want to hear a statement from Yuan Jie's camp, though. And yeah, Kro's boycott...hahaha yeah, it's not quite like boycotting Taco Bell, now is it? Thing is, that place has a big enough Chinese customer base now that it wouldn't matter. Actually, I have a slight feeling that maybe that's why Yuan Jie is suddenly trying to force him out.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.