Discussion » Dating & Romance » My guide to commonly used phrases on personal ads

• Liam (李安)
    Liam (李安) wrote:
    After scanning through many profiles here and on other similar sites, I have noticed a series of trite phrases that are in continual use among people of similar mindsets. Lets review some of these and the real significance of what they represent:

"I'm looking for Mr. Right, not Mr. Right Now"

Usually uttered by: women in their mid 30s who read Cosmo

What it really means: "Commitment turns me on more than sex ever could".

"Looking for a gentleman"

Usually uttered by: women in their 20s to 40s who enjoy being pampered.

What it really means: "I expect you to be dominant and supply me with what I desire".

"I'm down to earth"

Usually uttered by: men and women of all ages who consider themselves practical and realistic.

What it really means: "I have no imagination".

"Where is my Prince Charming?"

Usually uttered by: idealistic women in their 20s

What it really means: "The Disney Company has a profound influence on my romantic aspirations".

"Life is too short for _____"

Usually uttered by: men and women in their 20s and 30s who value spontaneity.

What it really means: "I don't take anything seriously".

"Just seeing what's out there"

Usually uttered by: unusually attractive women who enjoy receiving attention.

What it really means: "I have no intention of meeting anyone from here".
  • 事与愿违
    事与愿违 wrote:
    Thank you for sharing!Get it.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Not bad. :)
    I was going to recommend http://myspaceisgay.com/
    as little bit of humor along the same lines as your post, for those who haven't seen it.
    But none of the content shows up for me anymore. Either it's semi-blocked or it's just gone. Anyone save the content?
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Don't forget "I'm open minded"...which is usually uttered by girls in their 20s who think they are "westernized" because they've seen a few episodes of Sex and the City, but actually have no life experience to speak of.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... hahahaha ... and these are usually virgins too ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh, oh, oh ... how about "I want a language partner"? Can anyone decipher it?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    My experience of "I want a language partner" ended with "What you didn't bring your chinese exercise book??!!!! How do you want to work from that? Ok, here's my french homework, do it for me now."

I never looked for a language partner ever again after that...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Don't forget "Just got out of a relationship."

a.k.a.

if a female says it, it means "I'm a crazy psycho bitch who just drove my boyfriend away to a completely different country with my clinginess and now I need to channel all my psycho energy to someone else. Oh, and I'm pregnant."

or if a man says it, it means "My ex-gf just realized that I'm a womanizer. Who's next?"
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    "Looking for a serious connection"

Length Requirement
  • Peteris Baltrunkis
    lol @ Shane

Cookies to anyone who knows what "Looking for friend to drink tea with. Must be discrete." means.
  • Amalie Sæverud
    a lot of fun :) so what about blank profile?
  • Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:
    haha nice one¨!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.