Discussion » Employment Opportunities » English teacher ,High salary

• Stella Deng
    Stella Deng wrote:
    If you live in Beijing, and wana to get a job. 7500RMB/month.
    nearby SUZHOUJIE.
    contact me freely 13693225922
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Exactly, Astaroth. What type of school? What age are the students? Housing included? If it isn't then 7500 is not great money. I just love how vague people are in this business.
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    9000 plus visa.
    sanlitun, shuangjing, haidian

kids aged 3 to 6 (each class got 6 kids)
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Yes, it's low.

Assuming it's 30 hours a week(the same as your other post), it works out at 75 an hour.

Plus, it's Beijing...most ESL jobs in the bigger cities do account for the higher cost of living and I think 10k is probably the benchmark.

Finally, kindergarten places generally pay more. I've never done kindergarten work but I imagine that having to entertain kids all day whilst trying to improve their English would be pretty stressful.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Well guys please take into account that the person that posted the ad that says " English teacher High Salary!" Is telling the truth. She is probably one of the cooler office girls or administrators in the business because she knows about this website and she is only using tactics that she learned from dealing with most westerners in the business in and around China.

Note: The people that work in the office most probably do not make more than 3000 a month, so 9,000 is a "High Salary!"

Another Note: You live in China and the mean salary is much lower than you are probably used to.

And for the qualifications they require such as: No background check, no taxes, no record of accountability, no degree, no anything! It is more than child molesters, criminals, drug dealers, social deviants, outcasts, and others running from whatever problems should be able to earn.... I am not saying any of you guys are these things, but I am just pointing at the fact that those people may also land this job and they often do get jobs like this because of the low requirements.

Also please take into account the effect or impression the person gets from foreigners when they state a salary that is three times their own salary as being a "High Salary" and receive scoffs from..... Well you get my point.

Sorry for being a buzz kill....

I just learned that my office mates in Langfang make 1,000rmb a month teaching high school and middle school 40 hours a week (Around 6rmb a class in cash), they get to live in a dorm for free, and have three meals a day. However, I work at the same school teaching 6 hours a week and I make about 100 times what they make for one class (Weird how that works out.)

My point is that some of us are too damn spoiled and we know it. We do not have to act like it too. Especially, to Chinese people that make a percentage of what we can make and we work together in the same office.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Dude, I understand where you're coming from and ESL salaries are high compared to the average wage in China, but I think all we are saying here is that we're aware of the market rate for this kind of job in Beijing and that this one is lower than most jobs of a similar type. And the way I read headings like this is as a direct reference to other jobs...something like this: English Teacher, High Salary = This English teaching jobs pays more than the average English teaching job.
  • Saina
    Saina wrote:
    Native Speaker English Teacher, High Salary on Chinese Standard
  • №❶ Passioη
    meager pay, even getting lower day by day... better be a stripper, pays better ;)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... in that case, for what I am doing, I must be getting ripped off really badly :)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Daniel Godfrey
    I've never done kindergarten work but I imagine that having to entertain kids all day whilst trying to improve their English would be pretty stressful.

You think?

In the Summer of '06, I needed survival cash and accepted a position in a city called Baoding, located about 90 minutes south of Beijing by train.

I lasted two days.

While there, I'd be led into a room and left alone with a flock of squealing 4-year-olds for 45 minutes. Their regular teacher would hang out downstairs and gossip with her colleagues and refused to help out -- even after the kids became bored and the class clown took over, entertaining his brat pack by throwing shit all over the room, dancing between the desks and screaming.

After I kicked him out of the room -- and locked the door behind him -- he kicked the door down (it was made of flimsy balsa wood or something) and stood triumphantly, arms folded across his chest as if to say, "Don't fuck with me, man. You have absolutely no idea how I run this classroom."

"Fair enough," I thought.

The class then descended into madness and I let the kids do whatever they wanted -- throwing plastic balls around, dancing on their desks -- while I smoked a cigarette at the podium.

I collected my earnings at the end of the day -- they were all dirty and torn 5 and 10 RMB notes, probably as a result of being clutched by the candy-eating monsters as they walked to school in the sweltering July sun -- and left.

I didn't go back and spent the rest of the summer living frugally.

Another funny tangent: The school had a glass display case nearby the entrance. Inside the display case were class photos with a "foreign teacher." Funny thing is, only one of the photos was genuine while the others contained only his head cut out of cardboard and pasted on to another person's body.

There are two lessons to be learned from this story:

1.) Teaching kids ain't fun
    2.) You will never, ever understand China if you don't spend some time out in the sticks.

*lived in the sticks for a year*
  • №❶ Passioη
    3. A male should never do a female's job :D
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    And what would a "females job" be?
  • №❶ Passioη
    teaching / spending 45 mins with squealing 4-year old kids is a task that requires the kind of patience which are not sufficiently pre-configured in raw masculine instincts...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Interesting theory. I suppose there are inherent gender traits that allow for one or the other to perform better or worse at certain positions, but I wouldn't ever make a delineation between "male and female jobs."

Food for thought, I suppose. But I haven't studied the issue enough to debate it.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Kodi,
    You make 600 RMB / Hour (equivalent 100,000 RMB per month) teaching English? Damn, that's more than I made in the states!
    Hook a brotha up? Too bad I'm not an English teacher and have a terrible personality, not conducive to being anywhere around Children.

"I just learned that my office mates in Langfang make 1,000rmb a month teaching high school and middle school 40 hours a week (Around 6rmb a class in cash), they get to live in a dorm for free, and have three meals a day. However, I work at the same school teaching 6 hours a week and I make about 100 times what they make for one class (Weird how that works out.) "
  • №❶ Passioη
    learn again? perhaps you missed 1 or a couple of "0"s in the 1,000 especially if they're foreigners.

Or if true, maybe your friends signed the contract without reading the contents... even beggars on the streets of Beijing make more / hour :D
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    @Thor,
    Obvious trollbait is obvious.
  • №❶ Passioη
    Thorstan Fries - Read DeMola's story again, then read my following comments carefully and notice the word "should" (not "must").. after that, you can be my guest to shut-up and pause for thoughts :D then...

Next time you can apply for a job as a babysitter in your Gender Equality world... And as usual that goes for Dando Z too :P
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Kindergaten gigs in Beijing tend to pay around 15-20,000 for fulltime work (25-30 hours a week). I understand what Kodi is saying-to an office lackey 9000 a month seems like a high salary. But if no apartment is provided, it really isn't enough to justify babysitting a bunch of snot nosed little emperrors.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Well, people hired to babysit snot-nosed little emperors usually enjoy children, so I suppose you've got to have the passion for it -- male or female. Or a combination of the two. Fine by me.

People without qualifications and professional credentials shouldn't teach kindergarten, anyway.

Side note
    I don't understand people who leave comments on threads that only serve the purpose of saying, however ineloquently, "This is not a topic that I find interesting."

If that were the case with me, I've never sleep. Why bother? What's wrong with just having a look and passing on?

Now if, say, Barack Obama or another respected figure swung by and posted something to indicate This is not a topic that I find interesting," I may take notice and care.

But none of us are Barack Obamas. We're just ordinary folks.
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    @Pete,

I actually find the original thread not too bad; No1 Passion and Thorstan Fries comparing dick sizes on 90% of threads - well that's just painfully exhausting.

Yours sincerely,
    Osama Bin Laden
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Most things posted on the internet are for the purpose of comparing dick-sizes or, I grant you, possibly reducing every argument to 'Well, in Nazi Germany...'.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.