Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » vampires

• Smilence
    Smilence wrote:
    did they really ever exist?
  • Nixul
    Nixul wrote:
    No they never existed before, they don't exist, and they will never exist :-)
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    I'm a vampire. Don't hate.
  • Solveig Smørdal Botn
    vampires=sanitary pad
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Yes, they exist. They're called ESL recruiters and Chinese training school owners.
  • Simen Stensvoll
    i will find some legends of vampire^^
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... the side-effect of "Twilight" ...
  • Simen Stensvoll
    not only Twilight
    there are a lot movies and tvs about vampire
    so im wondering how the vampire effected the west world ?
  • Marte Joahansen
    They exist...but not in the context of such portrayed through movies.

They really suck blood but in an entirely different form...lol
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I love the Anita Blake series :)
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    they dont exist
  • Martin Reppe
    Martin Reppe wrote:
    dose realy exit?i dont think so
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    For every mythological creature there is a theory of some actual phenomenon to explain it, some more dubious than others.

Mermaids = manatees

The Kraken = giant squid

Witches = old spinsters applying henbane to the vaginal area by broomstick and inducing a sensation of flight

Vampires = people suffering from porphyria

From Wiki:

Porphyria

In 1985 biochemist David Dolphin proposed a link between the rare blood disorder porphyria and vampire folklore. Noting that the condition is treated by intravenous haem, he suggested that the consumption of large amounts of blood may result in haem being transported somehow across the stomach wall and into the bloodstream. Thus vampires were merely sufferers of porphyria seeking to replace haem and alleviate their symptoms. The theory has been rebuffed medically as suggestions that porphyria sufferers crave the haem in human blood, or that the consumption of blood might ease the symptoms of porphyria, are based on a misunderstanding of the disease. Furthermore, Dolphin was noted to have confused fictional (bloodsucking) vampires with those of folklore, many of whom were not noted to drink blood. Similarly, a parallel is made between sensitivity to sunlight by sufferers, yet this was associated with fictional and not folkloric vampires. In any case, Dolphin did not go on to publish his work more widely. Despite being dismissed by experts, the link gained media attention and entered popular modern folklore.

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I am a vampire
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    haha grow up!
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Minimy: Vampires have been pretty common images in the mythologies of a lot of civilizations, but they were made famous primarily in the 19th century when British Romantic writers experimented with darker themes. At the same gathering where Frankenstein was first told as a story, Byron told a story that another writer called John Polidori would later expand on and publish as 'The Vampyre' in 1819, the main character and 'First' vampire in English literature being Lord Ruthven.

What really brought the vampire into popular culture though was Dracula by Bram Stoker, a book published around 1897. That's pretty much where most modern vampire stories begin, including Twilight. If you're looking for the first films of the vampire, then you'd want to check out Murnau's 1922 silent film 'Nosferatu' (which is a bit weird because they didn't get permission from the Stoker estate to use Dracula as the source, so they just ripped it off and used different names by changing some letters around or using German translations!), and then the 1931 version of Dracula that stars Bella Lugosi(one of my favourite Draculas). In the twentieth century is where the Vampire figure snowballed into the huge icon it is today, but it started(arguably) in 19th century English Literature.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Minimy,

The people here trying to pass Vampires off as fiction are obviously not well traveled. Maybe in some developed countries like China and the US there are no vampires, but in my family home of Lithuania there were many vampires, and still are. It is quite well known among the people, and most of us have family members who have been attacked by vampires before. They are actually one reason that my family left there.

Just because some people don't know about things, doesn't mean they don't exist.

Would you believe, I have met people in China who don't even know that all Caucasians are born with horns. I had to explain to someone that our actors cut them off to be "cool", and that people who travel outside of Europe always have them removed to fit in better with locals.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Chinese vampires are stiff with rigor mortis, and not nearly as sexy and seductive as Western vampires.

Exceptions: Hsien-ko from the Darkstalkers videogames was pretty cute, and Nosferatu was goddamned nasty.

Anyway, why?
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    Vampire is just cool,isnt it? ;)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Vampires suck.
  • Saint - Spartacus
    immortal , as daybreakers , true blood, they are a symbole in the way to be fashion
  • Saint - Spartacus
    noble
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    So many good movies :
    1st Dracula from Murnau cause it s a master piece in the history of cinema
    2nd Dance of the Vampire from Polanski 3rd Interview with the Vampire, and 4th Dracula from Coppola...
    vampires exist or not??? what about the werewolf??? or ???
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    mmmmmmmmmmm true blood
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    No film or television series really drives a stake into the heart of vampire mythos quite like the Vampire: the Masquerade (or later: Vampire: the Requiem) roleplaying games. Even a weak storyteller can make Twilight look like Duckula.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "Vampire: the Masquerade (or later: Vampire: the Requiem) roleplaying games."

I had to cover a Vampire convention back when I was still at CM Life. It was weird. I had to keep my fingers crossed the whole time to signify that I wasn't actually "playing". Apparently mid-Michigan has one of the biggest LARP communities in the Midwest, like almost as big as Chicago's or something? Also, nerdy chicks in corsets = I was like DAAAAAAANG. I will pretend to be ANYTHING if I can grab up on those.
    **** wrote:
    underworld, so sexy kate beckinsale!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Mike,
    I've still never LARP'd. I know there is a lot of that stuff in the Traverse City area, too. The Old State Hospital must have been a helluva place to pretend to be a bloodsucker.
    **** wrote:
    coppola is the best
  • Amalie Sæverud
    can i adopt one, i can feed it with my sanitary towel
  • Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:
    sanitary TOWEL? they're bowlegging around with towels now, guys. the flow is HEAVY. just slap a thong on over that and I know I'M turned on!
  • Serena
    Serena wrote:

Is there anyone wanna to be a vampire?

• Christopher Dame
  • Sally
    Sally wrote:

love vampires!!! love the drakness of them!!!!

• Sally
    Sally wrote:

@serena, i do, can u help with it??

• Serena
    Serena wrote:

@sally  i also wanna to be  haha  i think we should go to Rumania first  haha!~

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

I want to be a vampire.... I wish one would bite me so I can transform into a blood sucking creature of the night with the ability to seduce prey with a transic stare and trade my beating heart for a bloodlust hunger and immortality....  hmmm  How different that would be.....

• veronika engen

i wanna to become a vampire too. then i can eternal of life with my lover. forever and ever...

who can transform me.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:

Ludivico, I can't believe this has been posted in the "ask a foreigner" forum...

It makes sense though, because vampires aren't native to China. We lithuanians have more experience with these kind of creatures because they really affect our lives, so I think it's right that they ask foreigners. I see otherwise some people don't even know they exist!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.