Discussion » Technology » Roaming / 漫游

• Keyser Soze
    Keyser Soze wrote:
    Hi there!

how can I make my phone be able to roam into any other net? At China-Mobile some super-bored girls told me that I have to choose a country when buying a new sim, but I need options that are not limited to one country. I guess there are other possibilities...
    Anybody able to help?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Not sure about ONLY one country ... maybe she meant a zone of countries? I have roaming, and I can receive calls in Thailand and Hong Kong ...

By the way, last I checked ... if you need roaming, and if you have not joined for more than one year (or something like that), you need to pay a deposit to get roaming service set up ... you can pay less if you can get a Chinese friend to be your guarantor ...

... but these are old regulations ... not sure if they might have changed anything ...
  • Durim Osmani
    Durim Osmani wrote:
    I never used it here... so, how much is that deposit (btw. deposit for WHAT???)?
    Thanx anyway!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I interpreted it as "security deposit" ...

As you might appreciate, roaming service incurs extra charges, and their concern is if you then run away and they cannot recover the money, then this is just a way to make sure that they will, even if you DO run away ... so, you get your money worth, dont worry about that ...

Last time I checked this, it was more than a year ago, so you will need to get more updated info from the shops ... then, I was speaking to an old Brit gentleman, and he told me 300rmb ...

By the way, I dont think roaming can be used with a pre-paid account, and if that's the case, you will need to get a local with a Chinese ID card to set up a billable account ...

Q: Which country (or countries) do you plan to travel?

• Durim Osmani
    Durim Osmani wrote:
    So, I was at another China-Mobile-branch today. It's called M-Zone and I can highly recommend it. The staff was not retarded at all (like in the first shop...) and totally helped me out.
    I now do have a sim that allows me to roam everywhere in the world (except Japan & Korea) and since it's PREPAID there was no deposit to pay. Just 10 for the card and another 500, which are credit and will be used to phone.
    Whatsoever. Thank you anyway for your hints.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... yes, yes, the 500 is the "deposit", which will be used as your credit, I thought I had said that, no? ... I am sorry that the information might not be quite up-to-date, but I am glad that you have got what you wanted, take care :)
  • Durim Osmani
    Durim Osmani wrote:
    Thank's!
  • Durim Osmani
    Durim Osmani wrote:
    oh, btw. you seem to be quite helpful here, may you watch my other question concerning motorbike..... as well???
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... as helpful as I tried, motornbike is something I know nothing about ... sorry :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.