Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » To what point do administrators step in and say, t

• Miss Red Head
    Miss Red Head wrote:
    There are so many "out-there" type comments, insulting people, different race of people, plus a whole lot of others I would not clasify as "nice".
    So where does the line draw for "I, ____________, do solemnly swear that in posting this comment I promise to be nice."? And who within the admin group does anything about it?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I tried to be nice, but do you know what that got me? ... no point being nice here ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    WTF

Uncle DD, you're the nicest person here.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    girls should start being nice first
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Dando ... long story ... how long can you stay awake? Hahaha ...

Mathew ... what are we going to do about you? The kind of things you just said, as well as what you had said in the past, were exactly what Angela was referring to ...
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    but i never talked to angela and she have no idea of what ive said....and one thing u should know uncle i am just a member
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Right. She can't read anything that isn't preceded by @Angela.

You're new to this whole Internet thing, eh?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    One China, One Nation
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Mathew ... first of all, no one mentioned your name, nor anyone's, Angela was just merely stating the fact and also about how she feels ... funny enough, she did not even ask anyone to be nice, and then you stepped out and said "girls should start being nice first" ...

... as Dando said, even if you have not talked to Angela, it does not mean she cannot read what you (or anyone else) had said ...

Secondly ... since that very first day you wrote in the forum that you will kill everyday (sorry, my fingers wont let me type exactly what you had said, because it is sickening) ... ... ... ... on second thought, never mind ... you just reminded me something, thanks ...

• Joakim Berg Solum
    Damnit. I totally missed it since I guess I'm sort of a forum newcomer this year. What the hell did Abisai say that pissed off everyone so much?

@Angela: Online dick waving and arguments bring in traffic. Why moderate it unless it gets completely out of hand? We aren't quite there yet I think, although it would be nice if someone banned Yes Sir's "auxiliary" accounts.
  • Børge Notkevich
    Thanks 叮噹叔叔 :)
    Like 叮噹叔叔said, I'm not here picking on anyone, I just wonder if the admins stop anyone, I mean, the comments here are meant to be "nice", but I know ever some stuff I said wouldn't be considered as nice, but no one seems to have been told to hold back on their comments or anything.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Angela, as far as I am concerned (and being narrow-minded that I am), there are three main English dick-tionaries: Macquarie, Oxford and Webster, and my guess is, what we meant by "nice" in Australia, probably has different meanings to the outside world ... I always believe that the Australian Custom should screen out some of those "nice" people ... what do you think?
  • Børge Notkevich
    haha agrees
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... ooops ... but in that case, now that I have crossed path with these "nice" people, they might not let me renew my passport, and then I am stuck in Beijing with them, Angela, help me ... *wink* *wink*
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I'm from the Internet. What the fuck is nice?

Seriously, though. I can appreciate snark and foul language. It makes the community more colorful and attracts fresh posters. The personal attacks and direct insults are a bit much, though.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... how about a stab behind your back?
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    With the wide range of ideas about morals here it is hard for everyone to fulfill everyone's idea about what is being nice. For example, for Chinese it is nice to be indirect and obscure in your expressions of rejection and relationships, however in western countries is is polite to be direct and tell someone exactly what the deal is. I know this is not applicable for everyone in China or the West, but it is prevalent in it's respective place...... I think we must tolerate a certain degree of deviation from our ideas about what is nice. This may force us out of our comfort zones, but it may also help us to better understand others better.

However, don't take shit you do not have to.....! Say fuck if need be! Say fuck you if you feel! But be civil in your lashing out... and also be willing to apologize when you realized you were an asshole.... This is as nice as it gets @_@
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    If one person creates a thread here, this person can delete the rubbish. Since my point of view things like racism, homophobic, misogyny... have more weight than the ¨free speech¨, i want to say, if i delete what comment of other person when have this kind of rubbish, i´m not doing censorship, i´m doing clean

The problem is when the origin of thread is a craddle of babies trolls, the only thing is doing nothing, don´t write, but is so difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Kodi, not trying to speak on Angela's behalf, but both of us practically grew up overseas, perhaps more so in her case, so it is safe to say that, to a certain degree, we are more "foreigner" than "Chinese" ...

Most people here knows that I am all for discussions, as serious or as crazy as they might be, and it is great fun to see a thread growing into miles long (apology to those who does not have a "end" key on the keyboard), however, as far as I am concerned, recently, there had been perhaps far too many "discussions" in the forum in relation to race and skin color and ethnicity ...

Using your (Kodi) own words:

But be civil in your lashing out... and also be willing to apologize when you realized you were an asshole

... I can think of many people ... yours truly included :)

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    KEEP SHOWING YOUR ANGER, THIS IS THE INTERNET AND PEOPLE ARE MAKING MONEY WHILE WE ARE JUST COMPLAINING, AND THEY ARE SMILING WHILE MONITORING WHAT U ALL GOTTA SAY, SO WHAT CAN U DO? SAY ANY KIND OF SHIT U GOTTA SAY. WHO IS WHO TO JUDGE O CONTROL WHO? AND IF U KEEP IT NICE, WHERE IS THE FUN? IF THIS IS A SOCIAL SITE......AT LEAST THERE IS A BUNCH OF WELL EDUCATED OR RATHER WELL INFORMED PEOPLE HERE...BUT MOST OF THEM ARE NOT MAKING MONEY FROM COMPLAINING, ONLY THE OWNERS OF THE SITE ARE MAKING MONEY
  • Børge Notkevich
    Kodi: well said :) totally agree with your view.

I don't know, but I liked this site from the beginning because of some of the "touching" stories I read, or the funny cartoon that 叮噹叔叔 posted(不成熟女生的十二种表现).
    However recent few days, a few of the discussions are fully about racism, and many people commenting against the same people.

But I guess this goes to: "Any publicity is good publicity."
  • Marte Joahansen
    Diversified personalities should not tend to become a threat @ Angela

that's why people are different. Every one cannot just be a nice guy...even

if they really are.

I think to some individuals," refusal to remain un-noticed" is the reason why we

tend to come across some insignificant posts at some point or the other during

our reading or writing sections in wlib.com

Clev
  • Børge Notkevich
    Clev: no one has so far been a threat to me. Many are annoying but that can be easily ignored.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Admin here

At the original poster: It's difficult for us to wade through the sea of stupidity that constitutes the forum and pinpoint exactly who to reprimand for their noxious and ignorant viewpoints.

Unless a user is being overtly sexually abusive -- or posts sensitive content -- we tend to let users spew verbal diarrhea at each other until they get tired.

Racist or prejudicial viewpoints, while crass, aren't grounds for admin intervention.

While we'd love to step in and remind people to be nice, we have neither the time nor inclination to argue with some of the more intellectually-challenged members of the community.

To reiterate:

Unless we receive a specific report of abuse or catch something that violates our Terms & Conditions, we don't interfere.

I hope this helps.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Speaking of Terms & Conditions... how about this one?

"Create a false or misleading identity."

hahaha, how many fake groupie accounts does it take before this condition becomes violated?
  • Børge Notkevich
    Dear Pete,

Remember these rules you guys have set for starting a discussion?

"* Rules for posting
    Users that abuse the forum in the following ways will have their user account, including related for

1.Do not advertise for any commercial or private product and/or service.
    2.Do not discuss sensitive issues related to this country.
    3.Do not post the same topic repetitively on the forum.
    4.Do not harass users in ways that can reasonably be considered offensive.
    If you want to promote a product or service, you can do so by creating a group or an event. Information on how to do so can be found in our FAQ "

There is so much irony in these regulations and what you guys actually does. I knows rules are meant for breaking, but it seems like there's no point in putting these rules in in the first place...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Jon Gu
    It's there.

Angela
    Believe it or not, most users abide by those regulations.

When a handful of users choose to hurl insults at one another on the forum, it doesn't constitute harassment. Sure it's crass, ignorant and severely limits intelligent discourse, but provided all parties are voluntarily participating, it's not grounds for punitive measures.

If you feel as if you're being harassed, let us know via a PM and we'll take care of the problem.
  • Børge Notkevich
    haha thanks Pete
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Hehe I guess now I know the limits of the discussion topics..... Perfect demonstration of the fine line between F#@$ S@#$%& and stupidity was just displayed by non other than Yours Truly HAHA.... Sorry about any trouble I caused with my stupid mind and fingers.

I forgot where I was for a moment. I love China!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Sorry about "Mods are asleep, let's post about censorship!"

What was I thinking?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... come on fellows, no blood, no glory ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.