• Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    I've heard plenty of times some chinese said 猪, characterising someone, but both in positive and negative sence...
    what is so particular about that word here? why chinese are so stuck to it?)
  • Linn Nesse
    Linn Nesse wrote:
    it suggests diligence, hardworking & neatness. good luck!
  • Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    so no negative meaning for that word?
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    Ge is spinning u, poster....
  • Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    ;) let him continue
    i know what i've heard=) the meaning was different for sure
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    the truth is "pig" can be both pejorative and postive, up to context.
    just like "bitch" in English, u may curse someone with it or close friends can beckon each other with it too
  • Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    yeah, sure...do u know any reason for why PIG is so popular?)
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    dont know the exact reason.
    maybe it is common and easy to pronounce...
    but full-heartedly, this animal has been wronged for centries, if not millenia...
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Chinese people adore pigs. The character for home (家) represents a pig under a roof.

I believe that in ancient times pigs were kept in the home - which would not have been possible with other animals.

The fact that dog meat is popular in China suggest that, until recently, dogs were not commonly kepts as pets - as they are in the west.

Personally it makes more sense to me to revere the cow or chicken as they can provide milk or eggs every day. Perhaps the fact that pigs can eat table scraps mean they were easier to keep than cows or chickens.

Pork is China's most popular meat. The character for meat (肉) in fact often refers to pork. No matter how much Chinese people adore the lovely piggy however they still like him 红烧ed that little bit more.
  • Simen Stensvoll
    i think pigs are adorable!!
    if i call someone piggy,he/she must be very very cute
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

coz those guys' vocabulary of praising and cursing is quite limited! haha. I often tell my foreign friends, if ur Chinese sucks, learn two adjective is quite enough for describing all things: 牛逼 and 傻逼. Cow pussy rocks :)

• Joakim Berg Solum
    There should be a restaurant that serves cow cunt as a dish. I would go to that restaurant and I would definitely order the 牛逼.
  • Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    Thanks, Pomegranate) informative) by the way, that pig under the roof..maybe it's cause if a family has a pig that means prosperity and that if any hunger or something they will survive and there won't be any trouble with the food and won't be any discord...

Bon appétit for Jon Gu))) my friend accidentally tried 狗逼..

Da Fan!will you give us one more lesson of chinese?)))
  • Alexander Myrstuen haukerud

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.