Discussion » Music » Rustic Wins the GBOB

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    7 months ago I had the pleasure of serving as a judge in the Beijing portion of the Global Battle of the Bands. To nobodys surprise, Rustic took first place and went on to win the national finals in Hong Kong.

Today I received this e-mail from one of the organizers regarding the world championships in London:

"I actually thought the Japan band was going to win......

They played the GBOB theme tune....

They announced the top 6
    6 Nepal
    5 Israel
    4 England (who were really good)
    3 Norway
    2 Iceland

then got the judges on stage, we're all looking disappointed and thinking oh well....
    Judge says "All three of us were unanimous about this decision, they were entertaining (at
    which we looked hopefully at each other but then the Japan band was also entertaining) and then he
    said something else, THEN he said "and they used instruments that no other band had used"
    I started thinking 'Huh??'
    then they said CHINA!!

We started jumping up and down and cheering and screaming like schoolkids hahahahaa
    (2 rustic fans from Germany and me!)

The funny thing is (and i"ve videoed it so have proof) the MC introduced them as a band
    from Shanghai and never mentioned China then hahahahahahahahaha

OK I'm taking the boys out to dinner tomorrow but now they are 'after' partying ;)

I'm truly amazed they won!"

Congratulations to China's own Rustic.
  • Dan
    Dan wrote:
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Riki Six and the boys from Rustic sure put in a good show. An talented group of musicians those guys!
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    Toy Dolls rule!
  • BeijingDaze
    BeijingDaze wrote:
    any news on when they're getting back to Beijing? wouldn't wanna miss that party
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I always knew they'd win. The mediocre amateur rock coming out of most scenes now is no match for "Wild Woman" and "Nellie the Elephant."

Too bad a documentary filmmaker wasn't on hand to capture the process from genesis to completion.

Would've been like a cross between "A Hard Day's Night" and "Spinal Tap."

*spits out beer in an arc*
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    They have a show at D-22 May 15
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I can't wait to see what they look like after spending some of those hard-earned pounds shopping for threads in London.

I see Lucifer creating a new style called "punk fop," and Mr. Sixx returning with an entire rainbow spectrum of leather trousers.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.