Discussion » Sports & Activities » Are you interested in F1? Who's your favourite?

• Jas
    Jas wrote:
    Who do you think will be the champion of this year?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sorry to derail you but you did ask... in my humble opinion, F1 is boring and for sissies. 80% of the game is about the car. The team with the most money to spend on development generally wins. Driver skill plays a part, sure, but not as big a part as in other sports. Plus F1 is just bloody boring to watch. There is hardly ever any passing or position swapping. Sure F1 has its merits as far as driving development and technology but it's just not that interesting to watch.

You want to see a real racing sport? Watch motorcycle racing. World Superbike is freaking fantastic with a huge range of rider talent, various machinery all with equal chance of winning, spec tires, and did I mention amazing riders? They run many of the same circuits as F1 (Monza, Valencia, Imola, etc) and you can really watch a guy struggle when he is sitting on that bike. Rider body position can tell you so much... you don't get that experience while watching car racing. And when you have two or three guys battling for first place, the battles can get pretty epic. You ever see a guy finish in 1st place with tire rubber on his suit from rubbing against another riders tire? I have, and it's spectacular! Bar banging, fairing bashing action between riders of incredible skill and bravery.

Actually you get even more action watching the less prestigious classes. World Supersport for example, you can get 15 guys all charging into the last corner of the last lap while the guy in 1st get relegated back to 10th place in a few seconds. It's some hairy stuff.

Basically, F1 = boring, motorcycle racing = awesome
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Ignore the bullshit of Jon. I would like to shout : ALONSO!

Though he was a bit unlucky recently....
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Haha, I agree with Jon's bullshit.

Motorcycle racing is more like a real man's sport. I feel so horny when I watch the match.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

as to motorcycle racing, I prefer motocross, haha. F1 is boring, but motor road racing is not that better. Go off the road, Jon!

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Agreed that F1 is boring...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I would like to demonstrate in pictures how vastly superior a sport motorcycle racing is vs car racing, and I'll even use one or two of my own motorcycle racing pictures as demonstration (and because I'm a whore about showing off my bike racing pics)

Example 1: Setting up for a pass

F1 - What can we see here? One car behind another car. *yawn*

WSBK - What do we see here? Two men in a pretty desperate struggle. Notice the body position of rider in the rear. He is hanging damn near off the bike, elbows touching concrete trying to get the perfect corner entry to set up for the next pass. Yeah, Ben has a wild riding position but you can really see the determination in his posture.

Example 2: Passing

F1 - Two cars side by side. Sometimes they are close enough to touch or bump tires, but usually not. F1 is so technically complicated that even a slight aberration on the tires from locking up the brakes produces a flat spot and effectively takes your car out of the running.

CCS - This is one of my closer passes caught on camera. Notice how close we are... his knee is merely two or three inches from my rear tire. I'm gritting my teeth and praying to god that we don't make contact. A classic inside pass, taking advantage of his late corner entry.

Example 3: Crashing

F1 - I admit, F1 crashes can get pretty hairy sometimes... but still, it's not as amazing as....

CCS - Another Jon Gu epic crash caught on camera. When do you ever get to see a guy flying 2 meters up in the air with car racing?

Here's a few more bike crashes, just to show some carnage....

That's the next one in the series

Note the guy on bike #33's head about to slam into the tire of the #26 rider.

Guess what is going to happen here in a few moments... Sure F1 cars hit seagulls too, but do you think it's quite as dramatic as getting a beak right in your chest?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I heard that someone plan to introduce F1 to Beijing? like add a "China Grand" in the series? who got such a phucking idea, ahhh…Bring us more football!

• Joakim Berg Solum
    Da Fan, you are right. Dirt track riding is spectacular. Is there any place to do something like that in China? I took a dirt track racing camp once and had some of the most fun of my entire life. Some 6 year old girl took an inside line and block passed me! And then I ran her 8 yr old brother off the track on accident and knocked in face first into the dirt. I was 24 at the time. Good times....
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sorry, rephrase... any place to go dirt track riding in/near Beijing?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

老山,west Beijing, ever heard of the place? come back n check it out :)

• Silje Larsen
    Silje Larsen wrote:
    Great demonstration ! However, it seems a little life-threatening.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.