Discussion » Nonsense » Why is a Raven like a writing desk?

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    In the chapter 7-A Mad Tea Party of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Mad Hatter proposes this riddle:

Why is a Raven like a writing desk?

Lewis Carroll confessed in the preface of the book written in 1896 that himself had no answer when he wrote the novel, but in this preface proposes this answer.

Because it can produce very few notes, who they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front.

Since this time other persons have given other answers. like Aldous Huxley in his essay ¨Ravens and Writing Desks¨- ¨Because there is a “b” in both, and because there is an “n” in neither.

The answers can depend of each language, for example in spanish we can answer: Porque Poe escribió sobre ambos-. in spanish we use the word -sobre- for say ¨we write on tables¨ and ¨we write about tables¨. I don´t know if in english is possible this game of words ¨because Poe wrote on both¨.

in any case; do you have an answer? In english, chinese, ......
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    they are interdependent insofar as Poe created the raven at his writing desk but they are hardly alike
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

According to Orwell, 'Four legs good, two legs bad", so writing desks are, at least, morally superior
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    A writing desk's wing is rearranged to be skirted wing, a Raven's wings are black
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    I'll get my coat!
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Johnny Depp is a versatile enough actor to play a believable raven or writing desk.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.