Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing Glasses City

• Doyouknowzhen?
    Doyouknowzhen? wrote:
    I'm aware there is a market in Beijing where one can purchase prescription eyeglasses. Does anyone have any experience with "Beijing Glasses City", the quality, bargained price etc.

Cheers

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I think you are refering to Pan Jia Yuan, at East 3rd, a little bit south from Jing Song? ... my wife got two pairs done last year, or the year before ... one has a white frame, plastic lens, about 3xx.xx ... the other a pair of prescription sunglasses, about 4xx.xx ...

I do now know if you can bargain much, because the range of frames do vary from shop to shop ... the good part is that, on a quiet day, you can get your glasses all done in less than an hour, we went there on the weekend, and we had to wait quite a bit ... as for quality, both glasses have been around for at least one year, and for RMB 4xx.xx, it is very good value ...
  • Hanne Lene Larsen
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah mine glasses may be more expensive, because my eyesight is like -7.00...so I want to have the thinnest glass they have =P
    But were your glasses just standard? or were both glasses anti-scratch, anti-reflection etc.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh, I dont actually know about that, so I asked ... my wife's prescription is around the 3 to 4 margin, and she did not ask for multi-coated nor any specially treated ones ... so yes, just standard ...

Hmm, and as far as $$$ is concerned ... I went with a friend to Bao Dao (one of the more popular optometrists in BJ) to pay for her contacts, and while I was there, I asked them whether they have transitional lens and how much ... they told me that transitional lens range from 6xx.xx to 2xxx.xx, and the 6xx.xx ones changes in 10 min (which is really slow), so working the maths, RMB 2xxx.xx for transitional lens is just as expensive as Australia ...

Bao Dao is more expensive that Pan Jia Yuan, but I dont know for sure how much is the difference ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.