-you forget what clean air smells like.
- you barely flinch when you see a small child emptying his bowels in the street.
- you find yourself crying over a menu in a western restaurant because
they serve potato salad.
- you haven't eaten anything baked in months.
- you eat every kind of meat off the bone, and spit the bones on the table.
- you can expertly maneuver your bike through any traffic situation.
- you know how to use a squatter.
- grown men and women often say hello to you, and when you reply they
run away giggling.
- you can't decide if you love or hate the country you're living in.
- you see nothing wrong with standing on a white stripe in the middle of a
highway while cars whiz past you at 90kph
- you don't blink an eye when a complete stranger wants to take a photo of you
with his family
- you actually put some thought into which live snake you want cooked for your meal
- you eat soup with chopsticks
- you use Kleenex for table napkins
- you drink warm sodas and find them refreshing
- you are accustomed to seeing people's heads popping up and down in the VCD
you are watching
- you no longer use articles when you speak
- you bargain with the grocer over the cost of a head of lettuce
- you no longer question why the expiration date on the milk you just bought is two
months from now
- you buy a movie that hasn't been released theatrically yet at home...
- you complain about the price of chocolate bars...
- you comment the pollution "isn't really that bad..."
- when a trim at the barber invloves two washes, a scalp massage, a a neck and
shoulder massage, and a crowd of onlookers
- When you go to a park and you can't walk on the grass
- Where the red stamp is all powerful
- you find yourself spitting in public places (i.e. the street, restaurant) and not thinking twice
- you take it in stride when you are offered beer/baijiu at lunch before going back to work
- you start wearing a face mask on windy days and wonder at the "silly foreigners" who don't do the same
- the smell of stinky dofu doesn't faze you anymore
- you complain about that price difference of DVDs/VCDs/CDs bought in the stores and on the streets
- you start to wonder if the chocolate ice cream you find in the store is even chocolate... sure it is brown,
but it doesn't taste anything like the stuff back home!
- you can't find face lotion or cleanser that does not bleach your skin whiter....
- you shove the guy before you back to where he stood half a minute before in the queue, barking a loud
"hou mian, hou mian, ni nongmin!"
- you have learned to enjoy being stared at
- you stare back especially at knockouts
- you can open and hull sunflower seeds with your tongue
- you give a beggar a handfull of fen and he gives them back
- long underwear is a wardrobe staple five months of the year
- you have trouble sleeping when you go home for a visit because it's just too darn quiet
- you can stop watching tv for 2 weeks and when you start watching again they're still showing
reruns of the same show.
- you have ten different responses to the question, "Do you like China?"
- you're looking forward to blending in with the crowd.
- you know ten different ways to point out a foreigner in Chinese.
- you point out foreigners to your Chinese friends even though you're foreign yourself.
- you find yourself asking anyone and everyone if they can make the price cheaper.
- you know which chocolate is real and which chocolate is glorified butter.
- you know words in Chinese for which you don't know the translation in English.
- you answer 'China' when people ask where you're from
- you answer 'China' when people ask where you live
- having fingers poked into your ears when y