Discussion » Film & TV » Favorite Directors (Spielberg Boycott)

• Marco R
    Marco R wrote:
    Did anyone see that movie Shutter Island? I have been completely out of the loop in terms of new movies and general arts & entertainment coming from the US so I streamed this movie without any knowledge of the plot or knowing who directed it. At the end of this relatively entertaining, pretty safe made movie, it says "Directed by Martin Scorsese". I was confused. I didn't see him anywhere in it, meaning his director's touch or anything. It was so plain I think anyone could have made it.

Scorsese has been my #1 fav for a long time running but even the best directors make movies for purely box office reasons (obviously). Spielberg fits in this category time and time again, I've been tired of his ass for a long time. I know Forrest Gump, Schindler's List , and Saving Private Ryan are classics but this man has had his day yet insists on continuing to appear on our movie screens wasting our time and money. War of the Worlds? Minority Report? Come on...

Fav Directors:

Scorsese
    Coppola
    tarentino
    Ritchie
    Danny Boyle
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    David Lynch
    Darren Aronofsky
    Oliver Stone
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    Peter Jackson. He always has a vision and sticks to it.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Nagisa Oshima

Katsuhiro Otomo

Christopher Nolan

Kieslowski

杨德昌

侯孝贤

王家卫 (before 1997)

娄烨 (in Suzhou River)

Tinto Brass :)
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    the Coen Brothers
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Billy Wilder
    Steven Spielberg
    Oliver Stone
    Stanley Kubrick
    Coen Brothers
    William Wyler
    Martin Scorsese
  • Undermoonlight
    ...Spielberg is just like Zhang Yimou, the "evergreen" of the Chinese movie production circle...Yes, they had their days, but time is merciless...they are outdated...and their nostalgic fans have to live with the fact...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    卫环琅,Thanks for listing the accomplishments so I knew who the hell you were talking about. I'm not usually attentive to those sorts of things. Now I know for whose movies to look for.
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    tinto brass haha coito ergo sum
  • Saint - Spartacus
    alan parker, david conenberge, michel gondry, Stanley Kubrick, Spike Jonze, peter greenaway, Emir Kusturica, Martin Scorsese, tim burton, stanly cubrik, David Lynch, Gus Van Sant, Michelangelo Antonioni, Fritz Lang, Jacques Tati, Orson Welles, Brian De Palma, Terry Gilliam, Lars Von Trier, Darren Aronofsky, Wong Kar-Wai, Ang Lee, Alfred Hitchcock,Krzysztof Kieślowski,chantal akerman,georg lucas,Steven Spielberg,
    George lucas, wim wender,Charlie Kaufman, roy andersson ....
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Oh yeah...Alan Parker and Tim Burton. Good ones.
  • Sofia
    Sofia wrote:
    stanley kubrick
  • Gabo
    Gabo wrote:
    QuentinTarantino and Takeshi Kitano
  • Inga Ginger
    Inga Ginger wrote:
    tinto brass! hahaha...what a choice) can not say he lacks aestheticism)))

i like Tim Burton, Pedro Almodovar) more like the style..though not all movies i really appreciate))
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    Ridley Scott ,James Cameron,Quentin Tarantino and of course Stephen Chow.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    20 posts into this and no one has mentioned Wes Anderson? I'm outraged! :)

Seriously, he's one of the best in the biz. Rushmore, Bottle Rocket, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, The Darjeeling Limited. I haven't seen the new one, Fantastic Mr. Fox, but I'm sure it's brilliant.

Also:
    Coen Brothers
    Burton
    Tarantino
    Lynch
    Aranofksy
    Gilliam
    Boyle

There's lots of no-brainers out there, even without including the legends like Kubrick, Coppola, Scorsese...
  • Børge Notkevich
    Baz Luhrmann my all time fav
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    QuentinTarantino
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Ethan
    Fantastic Mr. Fox is, er, fantastic. I love Wes Anderson.

My favorite director is from South Korea: his name is Ki-duk Kim.
  • Ramz
    Ramz wrote:
    Everyone pretty much named all the known big dogs, so another list of them will be pretty pointless. I will say that Burton is mad overrated though.

ps. No mention of Woody Allen? I'm not a huge fan, but I was sure someone would throw his name out there.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I recently watched Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" and really enjoyed it. Intelligent and esoteric dialogue spoken during long takes (more than 30 seconds) are so rare in this current climate of hyper-fast cinema and dumbed-down pop culture.

I plan on watching more of his films in the future if I ever have time, which I probably won't. So yeah, Woody Allen. You rock.
  • Joachim D. Jensen
    uwe boll

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.