Discussion » Food & Drink » Best curry in Beijing?

• Mike Cottrill
    Mike Cottrill wrote:
    Im craving food i n miss in England so next question.Whats some of the best indian restaurants in Beijing to have a proper good curry! Please recommend a few restaurants, decently priced too. I heared of the ganges restaurant any good?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Craving for food you miss from england and you go for middle eastern and indian places... That says a lot about english food hahaha!!!

I'd go to Purple Haze for a good curry, but it's no indian curry...
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    Haha, fuck Ganges, that place is gross. you should try the Indian place in Lido, if it's still there, the food is great, and Victors which is probably the best, I reckon.
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    no no and no. go to indian kitchen. it fucking rocks. Ganges not so good and pricey.
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    Mike: Ganges is really good, but a tad pricey. A curry with rice and naan is gonna cost you around 60-70rmb :-) They're located in the village and haidian. Both do delivery.
  • 爱米粒Emily
    Indian Kitchen.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Gotta disagree with my fellow Peter. Mirch Masala can't touch Ganges. Actually, the single worst curry I've ever had in my life was at Mirch Masala.

I agree Ganges is a bit expensive, but that is because all their ingredients are imported. The vindaloo, rogan josh and tikka massala are all awesome.
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    I wouldn't say Ganges is expensive to be honest. It's a reasonable curry at a reasonable price to my mind. Nothing special, but I've not had a bad one there.

They also have a branch downstairs at 'The Place'.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Indian Kitchen. It's bitchin'.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Mike, I highly recommend Kammat's Indian above Paddy O'sheas. It's only been open about 6 months so it's not very well known yet. I just got treated to a curry there last night by a friend.

I've tried 4 different curry houses and the food at Kamats is by far the best in terms of food. The lunch buffet for 45 kwai (And a beer) is well worth it if you just want to try. The manager there is a really good guy too.

Ganges was OK but the staff are always too busy and not very attentive. Food is always hit and miss there - as if they're trying to just copy a recipe.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Did not notice anyone mention Thai or Malaysian?
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    Price is no obstacle when curry is involved.
  • Xiao
    Xiao wrote:
    Definitely Indian Kitchen.
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    mughal's buffet is 45 rmb...and trust me, it 's worth
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    @THE DUDE,
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Swagat's is pretty decent. Where is this Indian Kitchen I'm hearing about?
    There is a place at...oh fuck, which SOHO is that? The SOHO in between Chaowai and The Place. Downstairs outside on the Northeast corner, this place has 25 rmb set lunch combos that will fill you up.
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    @ Dando Z 单独子 wrote:

well, yeah, you can say that man
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    So what was the outcome? The WLIB best curry house in Beijing? Serious poll. Cost should not be a factor, just whether it is the best curry.
  • Alban
    Alban wrote:
    There is no better Curry than the one you will find in down the basement of Shangdu SOHO, the Place is chill and the Food delicious, my favorite place for lunch time
    @ Ryan, if you still work at shangdu I strongly recommend u give it try ..
    BTW , still the cheapest of all I ate here so far ...25- 30 RMB
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Yes, what Alban said is the place I'm talking about. Shangdu SOHO.

But yeah, as DD asked, what about Thai curry? Where is a good place for that stuff? Don't anyone recommend Banana Leaf. It has interesting decorations if someone wants to go eat bad Chinese food, but no Thai food.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ming ... which Banana Leaf did you visit?

Anyone knows of any Malaysian in Beijing?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I went to the zhongguancun one. I heard another one somewhere in the bar area is just as terrible. To be fair, there was one good thing when I ate there, and it was curry. The rest of it was no better than chengduxiaochi, just 5 times more expensive.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... comparing Banana Leaf against Cheng Du Xiao Chi?

Our first visit at Banana Leaf was also the Zhong Guan Cun shop ... first of all, my wife is all against hot and spicy, so she was quite reluctant to try Thai, but hell, it was 8pm already and my stomach was a complete vacuum, so I did not give her much of a choice ... yes, the deco and atmosphere were very "Thai", though I had trouble grasping why they have got some presumably Filipino singers performing?

As I said, my wife is all against hot and spicy, so we did not try the really hot curry, I think we tried a red (the green curry would be too hot) plus a few other things, but the one I remember most is the "pineapple rice" ... yeah, I seem to have some kind of fascination with exotic cooking, and their "pineapple rice" was definitely somewhere on the top of the list ...

Anyway ... after that fantastic ZGC experience, we tried the one inside Joy CIty in Xi Dan a few times, but being inside a shopping centre, it lacks the atmosphere and decor, and the queue outside makes it look more like a bus stop or train station ... so I dont think we will go to another BL other than the one in ZGC ...

Rose ... are you talking about the BL at Eat 3rd Ring, not far from Tun?
  • Catrine Lauritzen

Ganges and Mirch Masala knows what’s up with their curry! And, We just got Mirch Masala to post an offer on our website.  It’s a coupon for a set dinner for 2 people for 88RMB Appetizer, main course, and dessert!

Check it out-    http://fb.cityweekend.com.cn/

• Klisklass Kjærlighet

I never tried all the indian restaurents here, but Swagat seems to be good :)

Most of the Indian restaurants here are quite expensive, welcome home guys i can cook some nice curry, not the best though :D

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.