Discussion » Health & Fitness » Blood ... do you have any?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Just a very simple question, but I was not sure if it might fit better in the "Ask a Foreigner" section ...

Q: Knowing what you know now, would you consider donating blood in China and/or Beijing? And if so, would you go to those buses on the street, or visit the blood centre?

• Mathew Abisai
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    What a clever title uncle D.
    In the resounding words of 100,000 Hebeiese whose bodies shrivel away as they die from aids induced by donating blood, "好的,为何不?“

Oh I'm sorry I mean fuk no.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... you are too kind ... so no one else has got blood to give? Shame though ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Yeah I remember reading about this... those morons collected peoples blood, filtered out the plasma in a large combined pool and then redistributed the plasma back! So you basically got injected with everyones blood plasma who donated and had a high risk of contracting diseases like AIDS.

Unless I'm bringing my own blood bags, I wouldn't donate unless I was 100% that they weren't recycling used ones. Which sucks, because I usually donate blood at least a couple of times a year
  • Børge Notkevich
    I don't like needles... If I do donate blood sure wouldn't be on "those buses on the street"
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Sure. Why not?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I've donated 4-5 times 4-5 years ago to ensure that the total amount exceed 1 liter, so that I and my family can get free blood when needed. Generally I trust those buses, especially those in Beijing, so... yeah, why not.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I started donating blood as soon as I turned 16, hahaha, I was so eager that I had to forge my mother's signature (because I was under 18, and I needed her signature for approval) ...

Anyway ... after I came to BJ in 2006, I had seen a few of those "donation bus" parked at Xi Dan, Wang Fu JIng and a few other places ... these buses often looked old, and the people attending those buses would be chain-smoking outside, and their gowns were, well, very "colorful" ... I then asked my wife about these, and she had repeatedly warned me not to donate in Beijing nor China, apparently, there was a group donation in Hu Nan a while ago, and some donors had got AIDS as a result of the donation ... I have not confirmed this story, so I wanted to know what everyone thinks ...
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    I used to donate blood once or twice a year in my country, honestly since I came to Beijing I'm not doing this anymore...shame on me.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I agree with 莫明, Jon Gu, and Uncle D's wife. I think everyone has a higher chance of getting aids from donating blood in China than they do of dying from lack of blood available for a necessary transfusion.
    If you think about it, you save more lives by not donating blood, and "the life you save may be your own!"
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I actually had (have) a second reason not to donate in BJ, or at least, on those buses ... but I just remember it this morning ... damn this old age memory loss thing ...

To this date, and to the best of my knowledge, blood is still sellable goods in China ... so I have concern where (and to whom) these blood donation buses might actually be sending my blood ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    You know what they call blood donation in America?

A full blood work panel including STD checkup, all for free!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Used to donate 5 times a year in France but they won't take my blood anymore cause I've been in China so I need to stay in France 6 months in a row before I can donate again there which is very unlikely to happen.

Anyone knows what's the regulation for foreigners to donate blood in China?

Thought about donating after the Sichuan earthquake, but my colleagues told me it was pointless cause the donation centers were already over crowded.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    God gave me enough to keep me running.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Anyway, if any of you decide to donate blood in Beijing, you can also leave your marrow sample there (actually it doesn't involve any extra action, docs get it from yor blood actually), so that you can save someone's life in the future. Marrow transplant is considered the only effective way in curing many subtypes of blood cancer.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    My donate experience only twice in Uni, 3years ago, total400cc(i thought the blood including some brown sugar lol, and that was really fast flow when the blood are exported so that is why you need drink more before donate blood ). and yes sure, sometimes donate ur blood that testifies to conducive to good health, but inapplicable to every one.
    disadvantage : only after that you will think u need more nourishment so that eat more and then lead to u fat ! that is only one disadcvantage anyway.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

As I understand, only because this is the standard in Oz and HK, standard donation is about 450ml (or cc), and the doctors recommend once every 10-13 weeks ... so I am a bit curious about what DF had said here "I've donated 4-5 times 4-5 years ago to ensure that the total amount exceed 1 liter, so that I and my family can get free blood when needed" ...

Q1. So, if that "total" did not exceed one litre, then you and the family is not entitled to "free" blood? Does it mean that family who had not donated, they would be left to die in case of emergency?

Q2. Since you mentioned "free" blood, that means it can also be "purchased" ... does anyone know how this works? Do you shop around? I cannot imagine that if it is a life-or-death emergency ...

Q3. Is there a limit to this amount of "free" blood? One litre for how much in return?

Very peculiar ...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    There's a huge advantage to give your blood when you're a man, it helps you renew your blood faster, which is quite healthy.
    Women already have that naturally of course!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I don't remember the exact standard of amount, I said 1 liter becoz I got empression that such an amount is enough for all. "Not free" doesn't mean you got nothing in a life-or-death circumstance if you never donate blood before, but you need to pay certain amount for the blood. And not all blood stock in China is donated, there is a big part of it is paid, that's why there are poor guys in China sell their blood. For details, you should ask those who can set those standard, how can I know this?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another point ... I had checked the Red Cross China web site before, and it would seem most (or all) of those buses are not associated with Red Cross ...

Saibo ... I think the Red Cross building is somewhere on North 3rd, if you want to check it out, and I am sure they dont discriminate foreign donors :)

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    in the plan
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I should check the insurance law, whether "blood" can be included as part of the medical bills, if not, this could mean real trouble for a lot of people ...

It is still very peculiar though ...
  • Shukri Olad
    Shukri Olad wrote:
    I used to do that twice a year since 18 for many years.
    but not anymore - after hearing alot.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

So, though limited, the general concensus here is that no one would dare to donate blood in China? ... except for the reason of "trading in the future"... am I correct?
  • Shukri Olad
    Shukri Olad wrote:
    I'll do it if they need,and keep everything safe/clean

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.