Discussion » Nonsense » Political Compass

• 爱米粒Emily
    爱米粒Emily wrote:
    http://www.politicalcompass.org/

I do this annually to see how much I've matured for the past year. Let's compare results, should be fun, especially if the you-know-who checks it out too.
  • 爱米粒Emily
    @ Peter,

Thanks for sharing. Checking it out now. =)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: 1.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

Almost completely in the center, just slightly to the right leaning towards libertarian.
  • 爱米粒Emily
    Economic Left/Right: -0.62
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

Slightly left libertarian.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: -3.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62

Damn I am slightly more right and slightly more libertarian than Gandhi HAHA!!

I am Left Libertarian
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: -4.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.59

in mud of the 3rd quadrant with Dalai Lama as my neighbor..-_-!
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Damn Da Fan! You are more of a hippie than I am! HAHA I thought I was nuts hanging out with Gandhi! You hang out with the Dalai Lama! We should all go to the hippie fest and smoke some dank while reflecting on world peace : )
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    dank? a kind of marijuana? cool! haha. I don't know how the rating system of the website is set to be, but I feel it generally accurate in assess attitude (forget the exact scores, ha). Fuck those muiltinational giants, free people's spirits from consumerism, free the innovation from the greed of capital, and follow our own way in determine what is right and what is wrong. Gov's role is to supervise companies, but not supervise what people are willing to do :)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Like Pete, I am almost completely in the middle, even more so than him. My scores are basically just 0.

Economic Left/Right: 0.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.31

Kinda accurate although I thought I'd be much stronger to the right economically and more a bit more libertarian socially.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    No way Da Fan, capitalism and the promise of $$$, power, and chicks is quite possibly the only thing that drives innovation!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Sort of, haha. Our economy will keep on progressing is based on the assumption that consumers' desire will never fully satisfied, hehe.

Anyway, what I said is more about attitude thing, but not what you choose to do everyday :)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I've wondered about that assumption myself actually. For most of the developed world, consumerism by definition goes past the point of need and most "innovation" is directed at creating a new product that people will want to buy regardless of it's utility... Basically, everyone already has everything they need, and the only thing that keeps the massive global factories running ahead is whole "keeping up with the Joneses" sort of rat race where everyone is just trying to show off that, yes, they can afford that new iPad or whatever gadget.

What happens when the good ideas start to run out and people realize that they have entirely way too much junk? Although I suppose in 2008 and 2009 that was basically what happened.
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: -6.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59

Turn my head left and say ciao to Mandela......
    ...-o-...Really? I thought I should be more central.

Slightly confused about some questions...
    how do they relate to my social values..like abstrac art shouldn't be called art at all?..I strongly disagreed..then..this made me more north or south?...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Abstract art is an abomination as far as I'm concerned... where's Carlos when you need him? Carlos, what is the name of the play you were doing about the guy who paid 200,000 pounds for a piece of paper with a line on it that was considered art?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    And as it relates to this thread... well, I'd say it has to do with economics, because whether or not something is called "art" determines it's value and by value of course I mean price. If you think abstract are is not really art, you are saying that those who create abstract art do not deserve to be financially compensated for it which would put you on the left. If you think abstract art is "art", then you are placing a high value on this sort of creative marketing and it would put you more on the economic right.

Then again, I just pulled that out of my ass so I am most likely extremely wrong! haha
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Hey Jon, what you said is exactly how I feel, dude, haha. Of coz nowadays "innovation" is still convert into high utility, look at the the history of the 20th ceuntry, or just have a glace of the list of the Nobel price of Physics, you will see how technology innovation greatly changed our life. However, it's quite true of your "consumerism" saying. I believe that if all people will choose what they want fully based on the utility, the economy wont stop progressing, but in a much slower pace, that this part of progress is the "real" progress in my mind, and represent the core value of human civilisation. Part beyond this, I mean economy progress generated by people's need of new stuffs with comparative lack intrinsic utility, is also important, as long as it boost our economy in a faster pace, generate money and job, but, it bring about negative effects, eg. @!#$^#%!$@%$#$@!$ (tired of listing them)~
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Jon,I understand what you were saying....you based on the suppose of "art generates money"....but I believe most art works still serve the purpose of artistic expression and meeting the aesthetic needs rather than making good bussiness out of them... young artists therefore often live poorly as far as I concern.

When I first saw the question I thought they were asking that do you consent the idea of making socalled nonsense as a category of art? Yeah,why not..who am I to judge as far as you know what you are doing..so...?
    That made me more south I guess.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sheryl you have a point and yeah, abstract art = left makes a lot more sense but... how does this fit into economic left/rightism that they describe? Or to the social north/south... I guess it is more socially south I guess to accept abstract art as an art form as opposed to... "creative marketing," or a nicer way of describing it than "trash" haha
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I am wondering too..
  • G
    G wrote:
    super cool...
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Sheryl.agreed..some questions clearly related to Ameica's current...which I found myself irelevent...

And ...da...sherl.....surely this will clear things out if you put it in that way...lol....

Anyway if we set an coordinate for art, the extreme south should be dada since they claimed anti-art all the time...lol ...but ironicly they are fabulously concluded as one important corrent in art history...lol....so much for anti-authorization..
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    I mean clear things up.....--___--
    You guys write so fast btw...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sheryl: "(despite the fact that our intelligence would decrease as there is no longer survival of the fittest competition that kills off the stupid ones. In contrast, we give them money to let them live and have more babies)"

Wow, I think I'm in love with you right now. hahaha

To be fair, I did preface my consumerism rant with "in the developed world." In the poorer and less developed countries, it's just a matter of playing catch-up, but realistically, what do they have to offer the world so that they can afford to go past basic necessity and start caring about more materialistic things? It's charity and aid that props up a lot of these countries already, and with a growing population and computers/machines automating everything, labor is becoming less and less valuable compared to marketing and research.

*yes, I know that the white man keeps Africa down with the diamond and oil trade and what not, but let's leave that out of the discussion shall we? haha
  • 爱米粒Emily
    @ Mr. G,

Where do you stand?

P.S. I'm still expecting the you-know-who...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm not liberal enough to appreciate contemporary or abstract art, and I'm not smart enough/don't give a damn about modern art either. I like shiny metal things like guns and motorcycles and computers. hahahaha

BTW, yes, it's sometimes easy for me to forget that the "developed countries" got that way partly by stepping on the backs of resource-rich, labor-cheap countries. I'll admit I don't really have an argument for you, except to say that he who develops the biggest gun first wins. Well played.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Sorry, modern art should read "classic art"
  • Daniel Westerberg
    I ended up in the middle just as Jon Gu..
    Economic Left/Right: -0.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.10
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    I use this test in one of my classes. I seem to recall that I always come out in about the same spot as Ghandi (v. left and liberal), which is is kinda odd considering our respective lifestyle chocies
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Ron Paul for President!
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Economic Left/Right: -4.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

Left Libertarian.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I remember I've seen a seemingly much more complicated/sophisticated attitude test, which has more questions and finally runs out more index, but I forgot the link, ahhhh...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.