Discussion » Nonsense » Russian president's fury over 'monstrous' rejectio

• wrote:

Russian president's fury over 'monstrous' rejection of boy, 7, by American adoptive mother

The treatment of a young Russian boy rejected by his American adoptive mother has been described as a 'monstrous deed' by Russia's president.

Dmitry Medvedev said he was 'alarmed' by the case of sevenyearold Artem Saveliev, which has threatened to cause a diplomatic row with the U.S.

Artem was sent back to Moscow alone by his adoptive mother Torry Hansen with a note saying she no longer wanted him because of his violent behaviour.

Hansen, 26, said Artem had severe psychological issues that were never mentioned when she adopted him in September from an orphanage in Vladivostok.

Mr Medvedev said Artem 'fell into a very bad family'.

His comments were made to the Good Morning America breakfast show and extracts of the interview were released today.

Medvedev said: 'It is a monstrous deed on the part of his adoptive parents, to take the kid and virtually throw him out with the airplane in the opposite direction and to say, "I'm sorry I could not cope with it, take everything back" is not only immoral but also against the law.'   

Meanwhile, friends and family of Hansen, a nurse, have defended her decision to remove the boy from her home in Shelbyville, Tennessee.

Her mother Nancy claimed he had a list of problems that included threatening to burn down the house and spitting and screaming at his adoptive mother if he did not get his way.

h

A mother's rejection: Torry Hansen plays with her adoptive son Artem Saveliev at the Vladivostok orphanage last year

artem

Unwanted: Artem is led away by authorities after being sent back to Russia by his adoptive American mother

Family members alleged the final straw came when Artem, who was given the U.S. name of Justin, picked up a statue and threatened to hit his aunt after he was asked to correct some homework.

'He drew a picture of our house burning down and he'll tell anybody that he's going to burn our house down with us in it,' said Hansen's mother.

'It got to be where you feared for your safety. It was terrible.' 

Neighbours in the rural town of 20,000 said Hansen was a loving mother who found she could not cope with a violent child.

Linda Austin said: 'We knew there were problems but she tried her best. I think she is getting the raw end of the deal.'

Another neighbour added: 'Torry desperately wanted a child of her own, but she just found this boy uncontrollable.'

The adoption experience is eerily similar to a recent Hollywood film called 'Orphan'.

In the film a U.S. couple adopt an eastern European girl only to discover her violent tendencies.

Artem arrived in Moscow last Thursday with a note that read: 'After giving my best to this child, I am sorry to say that for the safety of my family, friends, and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child.' 

Officials in Tennessee said the boy had not been issued a U.S. passport which meant the adoption had not been formalised.

Bob Tuke, a Nashville lawyer and member of the American Academy of Adoption Attorneys, said abandonment charges against the family could depend on whether the boy was a U.S. citizen. 

A Tennessee health department spokeswoman said there was no birth certificate issued for the boy, a step that would indicate he had become a U.S. citizen. 

Hansen, who has gone into hiding, has agreed to meet with local police.

• wrote:
  • wrote:
    I have enough with all-day talking about China, let's talk something else.
    I like Russian who are straightforward and tough, if it is Chinese government, the spokesperson will only say we protest or we strongly protest.

Poor kid, wish he can enjoy his life.
  • wrote:
    I knew if is a challenge to adopt a foreign Child. Only people with love and patience like to adopt orphans.

There are many Chinese orphans were adopted by kind foreign families, it often takes several years to finish the process to adopt a legal orphan. They are asked to communicate the situation of the child with Chinese government periodically.
  • Andre Lund
    Andre Lund wrote:
    I wonder why did they send him back instead of giving him up to the government in america?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Can I return biological children as well? If I ever accidentally have one, I'll look to this case as precedent.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Oh poor boy : ( I also feel for the adoptive family. It looks like this was a bad experience for everyone involved. I bet this will also have an effect on the boy's psyche with reference to how he thinks about himself. Rejection is something that plagues the minds of many orphans. I hope this boy can be helped and can lead a healthy loving life someday.

• Albulena Imeri
    That boy is going to grow up and play QB for the Volunteers.
  • wrote:
    This experience is definitely detrimental to his personality and psychology.
    Most of them will have cold and ruthless heart, a social tragedy.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'd send the kid back too if he was a little sociopath in training, particularly if the authorities neglected to mention his anti-social tendencies prior to sealing the adoptive process.

Not sure what the big deal is here.
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    well it's not like you can control if ur own kid (if being the biological mother) will have any conditions like that, so that way it's not morally correct to reject him. However, if the biological parents knew about this and that's the reason for the rejection, they are the guilty ones :P

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.