Discussion » Music » LPs

• / / / \ \ \
    / / / \ \ \ wrote:
    where's the best place to get records in beijing?

what seems feasible to find:
    kitschy gold
    stuff that slipped through in the 70s and 80s
    japanese whatever
    smaller chinese bands, possibly not from beijing
    (?) releases from bigger american labels (i.e. subpop, in the red)

• Joakim Berg Solum
    Do vinyls really have a noticeable higher quality than CD quality sound? You'd have to have some pretty high end equipment to tell the difference right? Or are you more of a collector and looking for LP's for nostalgia as opposed to an audiophile?
  • Z
    Z wrote:
    Jon, vinyls have noticeably LOWER quality. What is better with them tho is the bohemian feeling and sound, which is impossible to copy with digital media. I sued to have all collection of Bruce Springsteen LP's on vinyl...
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    The music section at 三联书店 north of Wangfujing has a few classical and jazz records.

It's a small shop so they might have more out back.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Damn, who'd you have to sue to get the Springsteen's? hahaha, sorry, yes I know it's a typo, but the grammar and spelling Nazi's are ALWAYS watching! Even in China!
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    as I remembered, one music store near the book selling street in Haidian Books City(Hai dian Tu Shu Cheng) have a lot LPs and jazz CD. I bough my first Eric Dolphy there..But not quite sure are they still there or not.

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    Now you talk of music, i am looking for a club in Beijing that plays old music, like hip hop of people like 2pac, Da Brat, Foxy Brown, Zane, Biggie, Naughty by Nature, SWV, Jermaine Dupree, Blaque, Aaliyah, Salt and paper, TLC, Soul 2 soul, Soul for Real, Adinah Howard, Horrace Brown, Mary J Blige, Missy Eliot, Pink, EVE, Big Punisher, etc And old house and disco rally music like Ymca, just been crazy, Kelly minogue music, Madona, Mj, Cool and the Gang, etc.
  • Z
    Z wrote:
    Kelly minogue, 2pac and old music... I am pretty sure some are rolling over in their graves now.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hAHHAAAA, but their music lives on man. I like it because it was not auto tune like today. Some of that old music, the beats were created buy the singers and producers, but not corrupted from the computer with fruity loops. That is why most of the old artists could make good live shows unlike artists of today that bring dubs to sing by on their shows. It made the likes of MJ, Madona< HArry Belafonte, Kyle Minogue , Musical Youth, Village People, Abba, Bonny M and the rest entertainers but not mimers of their own songs like artists of today.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    Free Sound Records Shop near the south part of Xinjiekou, you will find a lot local chinese releases an also western stuff.:

http://wiki.rockinchina.com/index.php?title=Free_Sound_Records

http://www.fmusic.cn/
  • / / / \ \ \
    / / / \ \ \ wrote:
    i apologize if my request offended you, jon and derek - there's a significant amount of music that hasn't entered into general knowledge because it's in LP form and thus only available to the people who own and come into contact with these records. plus, there's no better feeling than finding good music you didn't know about before, no?

many thanks to everyone else
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    @ Jon, I met a German tech guy once who builds those high end HiFi stuff with tubes, gold wire and stuff. He said, it mostly depend for one on the equipment but also one the hearing ability of the individual. Basically, if you have good ears, you can also hear the difference by non-high end (i dont mean those totally cheap low quality ones) HiFi. But appearantly, i dont have such sensitive ears (metal damaged LOL) to enjoy the sound but i really love the feel of the good old vinyl. I never cared about CDs to begin with. Tapes and Vinyls rule! Nostagia, haha.

@///\\\
    I knew a very good place once near the woman street, it was a 2nd hand eletro stuff market (torned down last year), they had several booths offering all kind of Vinyls (mostly garbage though). Dont know where those dealers went, maybe you check out the all those small stuff markets (小商品批发市场 xiao shang pin pi fa shi chang) nearby. The Free Sound Shop i mentioned does provide a few vinyl records but not too exciting. If someone is looking for metal stuff on vinyls (Ozzy, Maiden, Metallica etc.) the Rock Shop 666 on Gulou East Street is a good place.

In general, i would simply roam to all CD shops on Xinjiekou Street and Gulou East and ask long haired guys where to find vinyls (黑胶 hei jiao or 大唱片 dà chàng pian), they will know what you mean ;)

BTW, the only few main land chinese rock bands who ever made it to have their music cut on vinyl was Tang Dynasty (1st album, HK/TW version), Black Panther (1st Album, Japanese and local Chinese cut!) and The Compass (1st Album, local Chinese cut!) and the later black metal offsprings Ritual Day (EP, limited french cut). Cui Jian of course had different vinyl versions in HK/TW but i really dont see him as a rock act LOL

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.