Discussion » Nonsense » How do you think Chinese managers manage their ch

• BIRIMA
    BIRIMA wrote:
    I worked before in a big Chinese company, but I often heard our manager yelling at some employees when work is not done the way he is expecting it to be done. Does it ever happen to u? how the manager in your company is managing his employees?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    It's more common in FIEs and private companies in China. In those SOEs, managers is managing his subordinates in a much more "indirect" way, but it maybe more intense actually.
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    always happened in my former company
    the manager was a pretty northeast lady,and she was yelling everywhere
    i think her husband is a quite brave real man
  • Hans Christian Eriksson
    I just think that yelling is not the best way to get things done. Why not use other ways rather than yelling?
    DA FAN , what FIES AND SOE STAND FOR?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    FIEs=Foreign Invested Enterprises, SOEs=State Owned Enterprises, FYI
  • Truls Skaalbones
    depends on his mood..when he has bad mood..he yells at everyone.
  • wrote:
    It is common practice for majority companies in China.
    Most people need more patience, self-cultivation and professionalism.
    They have to know more techniques to communicate with their subordinates and their peers.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... starting with their spitting and yelling and shouting and smoking (esp in the office) etc etc etc ... then move onto their dress code and driving skills ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... consider yourself lucky ... if the director had kissed the big boss' behind, you would have been a goner ...

... did that just sound like an Italian mob movie?

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:
    did u heard that some chinese managers sleep with their staff?
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    Most Chinese employees would never stand up to their boss. So the boss walks all over them, takes advantage of them etc...

My girlfriends boss is like that too. Hugely arrogant. But she just yells back and puts him in his place. He won't fire her because she makes the company more money than all the other employees combined. But she would yell back anyway, She doesn't take that kind of bullshit from anybody. She's very western in that regard.

Most Chinese management rulle through fear tactics and it works. If all the employees stood together though. They might see some change.

My girlfriend was trying to convince all of her workmates to petition for two days off a week not just one. They all said no except maybe 2 of them. Makes no sense, I mean why wouldn't you? According to Chinese law you're supposed to get 2 days off a week anyway.
  • Jack Gao.Z
    Jack Gao.Z wrote:
    "i think her husband is a quite brave real man " hahaha...
    Cheers with her husband, yeah~real man does it~
    Compare to hard working, those chinese in SOE may prefer relationships better.
    And I had to say, this is common in both SOE and private ones. So we face it and ignore it. It's ok, they live in their way, dont they?
    But there are so many private companies, copy the form of MNC and really want to develop as the mature ones, for these ones, hope they do develop better and better.
  • wrote:
    Mengmeng wrote:
    “did u heard that some chinese managers sleep with their staff?”
    This is am universal phenomenon, not sole Chinese way.
    Do you know the rumor of former World Bank President with his secretary?

What you are talking about in fact happened around the world, but staff's interests are better protected in developed world.

Chris Watts wrote:
    "Most Chinese employees would never stand up to their boss. "
    I agree with you, there is no organised movement against those capitalists.
    SUN, MENMENG, The problem here is about how they manage their subordinates. So please do not talk about other things.
    Is yelling at subordinate the only way to get work done ? or is it just a chinese way of subordinate management?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Blacky ... per my experience, though very limited, it is more a show of authority ... however, shouting and yelling seem to be a common way to get things done, you might have seen how some people shout or yell at the waiters in the restaurants ...
  • wrote:
    Blacky wrote:
    "Is yelling at subordinate the only way to get work done ? or is it just a chinese way of subordinate management?"

There are thousands of companies in China, how can you got this conclusion?
    As for me, I will employ those highly effective employee than those who are lazy and low productive but often ask for excuses for their delays.
    Yes, i see these very often. But I was always wondering why not call the employee and nicely talk to her in way that she /he will do the job without being not yelled
    SUN, i do know that not all chinese managers are like this. You do see here that many people support that yelling at employees is ofen seen in chinese companies. Even effective employees sometimes make mistake, or do work improperly..But i do beleive that there should be another way than yelling to get thing done
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... like I had said, yelling is not just a boss' thing, but also seems to be common outisde the office, perhaps solely for the reason of getting attention ... and with that kind of population, getting attention is a really difficult thing, let's sympathise, hahaha ...

However, though common, there are companies (mainly foreign, but maybe some local small firms) who dont endorse yelling or abusive behaviour ... and since there is no practical solution, other than the typical E word, i.e. "education", I think we can leave those bad cases out and consider those "good" cases ...

Has anyone got any good examples, rare as it might be ... ?

Nice idea 叮噹叔叔, i quote u: ' perhaps solely for the reason of getting attention ... and with that kind of population, getting attention is a really difficult thing"

It is true that when they are a lot people, getting attention requires yelling. But there are not so many people in companies in general which requires yelling to get attention.
    Education as u say is important, as it can teach you communication skills.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... my communication skill? Yeah, I know, it needs work ... I will need to read more ...

One more point about the "yelling" ... there are two Chinese sayings "杀一儆百" and "杀鸡儆猴", or the English version is "making an example", and being yelled at is often considered a shame or "embarassment", so by "yelling" in the office, it makes other employees aware what might happen if he/she should make any mistakes etc ...
    叮噹叔叔 .No , i am not talking about u. i say education can teach someone communication skills. i do not mean u
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it's ok, just teasing :)

... let's hope we will see some good examples of Chinese boss ...

叮噹叔叔 you are really giving a lot of good ideas. hope others will come with more interesting posts on this issue
  • Linn Nesse
    Linn Nesse wrote:
    'this cultrue' is contagious. not only chinese bosses, but foreign ones do it pretty well, or even better.
    Yes Ge, we do not admit that this is only done here. But there are often many cases here
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Not exactly an example ... but some training I have been giving to some managers ...

Being China, employees (and subordinates) tend to be "submissive", e.g. if the team is working over-time, and the boss does not claim that he/she is hungry, the rest of the team would be afraid to utter a word about dinner ... in those cases, I suggested those in the high positions to be a person instead of a manager, i.e. even if the manager is not hungry, he/she must consider the rest of the team and make arrangements for them ...

... my version: work is not just B2B, it is actually P2P, esp when you are in China ...

This was perhaps something silly ... but it might help someone to think of a story to tell ... hahaha ...
    Yes, fear of being sucked out make them silent even if they are starving.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @ Blacky : thats alright, first of all, the leaders of chinese companies(attention in chinese we call them LEADERs not managers )
    and the china's office politics like this situation is rifeness, yea of couse thats not behavior well . you know why they are still keep going this style ? becoz a part of ppl using their parents' relationship into the office got the career(forever we called golden rice bowl) this is only the reason those staffs have to suffer from their leads' hooting..and they can't leave them if they so and really quit I will very respect them. but acctualy they won't becoz they scared they can not find out better than this income if they leave. and their parents must be blame them whole life..or give the organization more money till leat to the family breakruptcy.. hehe so now you;d know they are black sheep who alots ppl without ainabilities & personalities working for the china' firms !

@ btw Astaroth yes it is requested if u want promotion wo kao what the hell dark s$^*y!
  • Daniel Westerberg
    lol so that's why my wife don't want me to employee female workers :D

At my office there is no yelling and screaming, never. As long as my employees do what I ask them to do, and ask me when there is a problem, I'm happy, and I am 99,99% of the time.
    Some things I do notice is, that if I forget the time (due to being to focused on work) for lunch or leaving the office, no one tells me about it, so sometimes we go for lunch at 12:20 or 12:40 even, and don't leave the office until 18:30 but I guess that's a cultural thing, not to tell the boss it's time to leave..
    I'm a bit embarassed when this happens, since I feel like I misstreat the people working for me when they work overtime like that.. But then again, I always let people leave early or take a halfday off if they need to pick someone up at the trainstation or go to the bank or such things, so I hope it evens out in the long run :P
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Astaroth, office politics in China is far more fun than a Hitchcock movie, in order to survive, you need to have a sharp mind, and stayed alerted ... trust no one but listened to everyone ...

Daniel ... leaving at 18:30? Your guys and gals must be super efficient or something, hahaha ... anyway, just remember that, as a boss, if you dont mention lunch or dinner, they wont, so you might want to keep that in mind :)
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    Something I have noticed.

And let me make this clear, it is a gross generalization. But there is a very strong undertone of arrogance in Chinese society, particularily among the males. (Again I am not saying all)

They typically view themselves as the most important person on earth. Everyone else is less important than themselves. Now, give these people a position of power and how do you think they will treat their employees? Since they are all lesser people in the eyes of that "Leader" why shouldn't they treat them more as slaves and not as employees.

Also positions of power grant that person more "face/ guanxi" in society than their subordinates. So even society is telling them they are better.

The same kinda thing happens in the west. We call it power tripping. But what the boss can do and how they treat you is strongly curbed by labour laws. In Canada for example. If the boss fired you because he asked you to wash his car and you refused, or they made sexual advances. You could press charges, get your job back and/or a large monetary sum for unlawful dismissal etc...
    The employee has the power when it comes to these things. Not the boss or the business.

An interesting thing to note. Chinese labour laws are very similar to Canadian labour laws. It's too bad law doesn't work here.
    Chris , i do love your post. so interesting. Hope that with time , things will change, and those who have power to manage other people to know that they are equally the same as others.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.