Discussion » Nonsense » 请不要说 “sex”.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

If I hold a door open for a Chinese person they usually say “sex!”

They are trying to say “thanks!” (谢谢) but the “th” is a difficult pronunciation so they use “s” instead to say “sex!” (性交)

“Sank a you!” is less offensive or, and I don’t want to blow your minds here, you could just say “谢谢”.

But don’t say “sex” because it makes you sound like those creepy guys at 蓝岛 who sell sekesi deeweedee.

不用sex!

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Haha, well when in the US, I always found it hard to tell if people are saying "thank you" or "fuck you"
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Not really so important. What we ought to understand is that the second language is always affected by the first language. So we do not need to blame them. It is fine. S know they also find difficulty with the /v/ sound because their alphabet does not have it. Instead of "vampire" one can say "wampire".
    So they should say this out loud and quick to help them.

I THOUGHT A THOUGHT, BUT THE THOUGHT I THOUGHT WAS NOT THE THOUGHT I HAD THOUGHT TO THINK. IF THE THOUGHT I THOUGHT WAS THE THOUGHT I HAD THOUGHT TO THINK, THEN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD THOUGHT TO THINK.
    Try to put the tongue against the lower part of the palate, the tip of the tongue behind the upper teeth, and blow air out between the tongue and the palate through the teeth.
    That is what we call, i think if i have not forgotten my language study, dental. That is the articulation is between or at the teeth.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Sex you very much, COOL.

Your teaching is like the noble lion!
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    HAHHAAAAAA
  • Andre Lund
    Andre Lund wrote:
    it's same as when a foreigner says "knee how." My knees feel fine, sex for asking!
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    Yes! Knees are important in laowai culture.

Sex for understanding this!
  • Colin Friedman
    It's normally more of a 3Q.
  • Sally
    Sally wrote:
    not funny
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yes, maybe we all expect that China become a country in which if you can't speak Chinese, all the people will yell to you "if you can't speak Chinese, go back to where you are from and fuck yourself" in Chinese ;)

Just kidding, but hey, seriously, you're currently in a country that Chinese is the first language and sole official language. People are just so kind that they think it's a better practice to try to speak your mother tone to you. It's just like many lovely foreign pals who always try to greet me in Chinese in clubs. Tho many of them make mistakes, it's totally OK and it's lovely. Why you keep on being like a pussy about it?
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    so i prefer to say DANKE
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Da Fan: You said "People are just so kind that they think it's a better practice to try to speak your mother tone to you."

Did you know what there is no such language as “外语", and that the vast majority of people who are not Chinese speak a language that is specific to their country, and is not English? Sure most people who travel can speak some English, but I feel like a lot of Chinese people who try to generalize all foreigners as English speaking and say things to me in English (a language I rarely use outside of these forums) are just being pretentious and trying to impress their buddies that they can speak a few words of "外语".

Well, I'm guilty of the same though. Whenever I travel outside of China, I speak English to the non-Asians and Chinese to the Asians, even when I'm in Japan... Force of habit :-p
  • Truls Skaalbones
    终于出现了百花齐放男男女女齐齐蛋疼的大好和谐局面
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Well, it's to be expected 莫明. English is the international language of business now or something like that isn't it? That's why all the English teacher types are here in China and all the other Asian countries, I don't really see quite the prevalence of German teachers or Spanish teachers. OTOH, America is starting to become more and more of an English/Spanish bilingual country too and since the US ha been such a driving force in the world, maybe someday people will start wanting to learn Spanish instead.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    que pasa aqui? tantos locos...!
    My yankee dude, you are right I did regret much that I did not study Spanish instead of English...which is not decided by your country's soft power, but by the ignorance of Chinese education system, in which you can hardly follow your heart and what you really like.

Similar ignorance is based on kindness rather than 'being pretentious'....I saw everyday lots of people in my neighborhood want to show kindness to a foreigner by simply shouting hello hello hello for thousands of times. And I remember our textbook in elementary school telling us ' Never star at and follow a foreigner on the street' since a lot did do that in the 80s. But all these are more from curiosity and a rooted mentality of worship/preference on western.

Who the hell knows some kinda people would take moon as an unsuccessful or fake sun?!

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    @莫明. sorry for using the word "mother tone", I'd like to change it to "mother tone/the language you are expected to be familiar with". I personally haven't see any foreigners in China (excludes those from Japan, Korea, Asia country 1,2,3...etc) who cannot speak sound English, or at least I can say that for most of them, their English is far better than their Chinese, right? I don't know why you label those guys as "being pretentious", it's kind of funny. The scene Yuki describe is a good example. Then, based on what you said, if your mother tone is...for example, French (I don't know where you come from), and your English is quite good (quite common among the group of people many Chinese will think you belong to), meanwhile your Chinese level is not so bad (not that common among the group), and then you come to China, and some local pals who never know you before used some basic English words to greet you, what will you think?

1, damn it, my mother tone is French!!! why did they greet me using English?!
    ----you tell me why? becoz they are ignorant? or they are...err...pretentious?

2, My Chinese is good, and I wanna learn more Chinese everyday, say Chinese to me!
    ----who the hell knows that? and yeah, almost all foreigners in China can understand "谢谢", but the key point is not whether you can understand it, it is why they say "thanks" instead of "谢谢", can you understand it, and what the fucking importance of they cannot pronounce it correctly.

3, feel nothing

I don't know why almost all European countries has their own language, but it seems that all the people in the continient can use English too, and why such a norm does not applicable to east asia countries. Maybe these east asia languages and European languages belong to different linguisitical categories? Anyway, on the one hand you want others respect the fact that YOU DO HAVE YOUR OWN LANGUAGE while the situation is it's nothing about respect or disrespect, others just simply wanna show their kindness, on the other hand damn it all you country pals can speak fluent English?! Why? to enhance communication? then why not let your british and Yankee friends learn French or German? to boost economy? then why few Japanese can speak English, but their economic output is the world No.2/3?

Hence, you example of your speaking Chinese to all Asians is not analogous to your speaking English to all non-asias (I assume most of the non-Asias you mentioned are come from Europe or North american, I don't think it's very likely that you have a chance talking with a real local African or some). The fact is simple: the probability of that those non-asias your talk with understand what you say is much much bigger than that those poor Asians can understand the Chinese you say to them, RIGHT?

@Cheap同学,哥确实很蛋疼。你个小姑娘没有蛋,不会蛋疼的,你就淡定着吧~~
  • Alicia WANG
    Alicia WANG wrote:
    这个帖吧,要是发在英语教学论坛或者交流学习英语体会的地方,还能让人看过一笑。发在这儿只能让人觉得,您不装逼能死啊?
    对,英语在当今世界上广泛应用,该着您又是在说英语的地方被说英语的人日出来的,所以英语就成了您的母语,所以您说的英语比中国人好多了。多他妈伟大啊,多他妈的不容易啊,我感动的都要哭了。到了中国您是不是觉得终于有一样东西比别人强?在本国找不到这种感觉吧? 整个帖子都洋溢着一种终于得瑟出来的喜悦感,看得人很欢乐啊。
    这样说吧,你现在就在中国地盘上,别人愿意说谢谢呢,就说谢谢,愿意说sex呢,就说sex。要是遇到觉得你特别装逼看不下去的,说一句操你大爷,也麻烦你乖乖听着。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... these maybe unrelated?

I still remember, the first time I heard (and saw) how the Chinese character 福 was "spelt" in English, but using the Cantonese dialect ... it was spelt "fuk", or sometimes "fook", and my Australian friends just laughed like crazy idiots ...

And I am sure some Rowan Atkinson (Mr Bean) or Steve Martin (the new Pink Panther) had done something similar ...

In reverse, some English words and names are also "laughable" ... e.g. I used to be called Francis before pre-teen (yes, I had a terrible and complicated childhood), and in Cantonese, its sounds very similar to "sweet potato", 蕃薯, though you can bet that the kids only looked at the "potato" part, but not the "sweet" part, hahaha ...

Another one ... one of my friend's name is "David Chan" (or Chen), and in Cantonese, we nicknamed him 大镬铲, the "slice" or "truner", but 大镬 also means "big trouble" in Cantonese ...

Basically, just some silly laughs when one's mind associates certain words (whether correct or incorrect pronunciation) with a different language and/or culture ...

David or Francis on this site, please raise your hands ...hahaha ...
  • Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:
    就不
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    > so i prefer to say DANKE

厉害厉害.

I had a friend request from a Chinese musician. He said "啊喽哈."

In the television series M*A*S*H, the character Hawkeye has a drink with a Chinese man who toasts him "lechayim!"

Very humour!
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Dafan, I did admit I was being somewhat hypocritical. Still, there are a good number of former soviets here who can't speak English nearly as well as the average Chinese middle school-er. And of course, a good number of French who despite speaking English fluently will pretend they don't understand it, and speak French instead.

When speaking to foreigners I don't know in China, I first speak Chinese, and then use English if they don't understand (or I try to use whatever language they respond to me in, if I can say a few words). It seems that Chinese is the appropriate language to use given where we live; I don't feel right demanding that French friends speak English to me when we all live in China.

It is true though that more often than not the foreigners don't speak Chinese. Since I left the student world, it's been hard to find foreign friends that speak Chinese.

I am quite sure of one thing though: most of those people who yell "hallo hallo hallo" at me are not trying to be friendly. Some kids are, and it's cute and I say hi to them. It depends on the tone though. A lot of people are just being jerk offs.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    I've saw a French woman having a hard time understanding the Chinese server in a bakery. Of course, the server was trying to speak English but the woman didn't understand. I wanted to help but when I tried to think of the correct French sentence, Chinese words kept coming into my head.

Many Russians in Beijing do not speak English. In a music shop a Russian woman tried get my help in communicating with the Chinese assistant. I don't speak Russian and she didn't speak English so once again I was pretty useless.

Many Europeans speak four or five languages, including English. However, these are the kind of people who will also speak good Chinese.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.