Discussion » Film & TV » Ugly Americans ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

It's a new animation from Comedy Central ... just watched the first episode from VeryCD ... the humor is there, but not recommended for everyone ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

And here's the trailer ...

http://www.trailerspy.com/trailer/6869/Ugly-Americans-Promo
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Currently watching ep 6, it's about vampires, and the Twilight look-alike is so cute :)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Whew! I thought this thread was going to be about me...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    DO WANT
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Dando, what drug have you been taking?

Jon, the power of perception and the level of intelligence of your particular species never failed to amaze ... I actually heard that they were going to make an episode about you and your particular kind, but then they scrapped it because they were concerned that if Chinese girls (or any female for that matter) have seen it, it might affect the chance of multiplication of your species, eventually leading to extinction ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Uncle DD,
    Videogames warped my mind long before all the drugs in college. Now I just let my brain marinade in its own juices. Why do you ask?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... two match sticks on either end of the screen, moving up and down, and we called it "ping pong" ... I just saw you wrote "DO WANT" and was wondering what you were trying to say, that's all :)
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    It is a permutation of DO NOT WANT, which was what Anakin Skywalker said upon becoming Darth Vader, according to the English subtitles of the Chinese pirated version of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

It's a 4chan meme.

Anyway, I just downloaded the pilot and I'm excited about watching it tonight. This cartoon stands at the point of intersection between some of my hobbies: cryptozoology and sociology.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Have you ever bought a pirated DVD in China and turned on the English subtitles? Incorrect English subtitles in an English language movie never cease to baffle me.

It's clear that they got a Chinese translation and then used software to translate that back to English. For instance in Twilight the name Bella gets translated to Chinese "bei la" and then they translate it literally back to English as "the shell back" or something. For instance the sentence "Bella, have you ever ridden a motorcycle before" on the pirate DVD is subtitled as something ridiculous like: "The shell back, ride a motorcycle the past."

Wouldn't it be so much easier just to type out the English subtitles correctly? I know these are usually cam shots and not ripped from DVD but c'mon... I mean seriously, someone had to translate it to Chinese first, so they aren't lacking in people who understand English.
  • Tibby Pandanianna
    http://image1.xitek.com/forum/201001/1341/134112/134112_1264474381.jpg
    This cracked me up like madman! Oh boy do I love the mind-rich subtitles crew..
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Makes sense to me. But my job is debugging fucked English.

Shit happens when you party naked with Google Translate.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... would it be ok if I say ... STAT ON COURSE ... PLEASE ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.