Discussion » All non BJ languages » TOEFL/IELTS jobs

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    These guys may make more money per hour.

What is the going rate for these guys today in Beijing? Anyone know?
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    RMB 600 per hour
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    global ielts school
  • DH
    DH wrote:
    not true....about 600 per hour
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    Are we talking IELTS examiners or just prep teachers?
  • Shaney
    Shaney wrote:
    600per hour for foreign teachers?!!
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    yes!!!! VIP!!!!!!
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    I did that in Zhengzhou for two years. Never got paid that much. Applied at Global IELTS here too and they told me to go to hell. >:(
  • wrote:
    You can expect more salary if you can be accepted by New Oriental School.
    It is a lucrative industry.
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    600 RMB?!?!?! around 60e per hour !?!??!?!?! joder!!!!!!!!!! is good see that in all jobs there are luxury bitches
  • wrote:
    You can expect make money by teaching Chinese to people in Europe in the next decades.
    hehe, you can ask the same kind of salary.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... bravo my friend, I must say that I agree with all, except "English is easier to learn by far" ...

Many moons ago, someone asked me to translate a piece of speech from Chinese into English, and after looking at the first 6 characters for about 30 minutes, I gave up ... not that it cannot be translated, it was just that no one would ever say those words in an English speech ...

I once had the delight to teach oral English to some young engineers, and I used a "double negative" along the way, and then someone actually pointed out that I was wrong, only because the lecturers did not teach them in school ... I can only laugh ...

As far as I am concerned, Chinese is complex, but its rules are fairly straightforward, whereas English is simple but has far more "variation" (or sometimes I use the word "flexibility") ... or this was just me?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I did not disagree with you about the money part ... I did not even disagree with you that English is easy ...

I was only saying that English as a language has more variations than the local language school can ever teach ... and if anyone thinks that they can master English by attending those classes, they are in a lot of trouble ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... good for you and your students ... it is not uncommon to hear people say that they wanted to learn American English, and it was often hilarious to see their face when I asked "which American accent"?
  • Ulrike Standau
    Maybe I am a little bit of your topic, but I got to say this:

Try teaching German, it's far more complicated then English or Chinese, there are rules which even I as a native speaker can not explain. I mean I got used to this rules just be growing up. For example, the use of articles. In English you just say "the tree"/"the trees". In German you switch the article. In singular you say "der baum" in plural "die baeume"! Try to explain this to someone else, how shall anybody know the f***ing plural forms.
    German, from my point of view, after having put myself into learing English, Latin, Spanish, Italian, Chinese and Japanese, seems to be an language which is far more difficult to learn than those other languages. Everybody who's willing to learn another languages has to be admired, but anybody learning German and getting along with it pretty well, well respect.
  • wrote:
    Astaroth,

You always have lots of questions, but fortunately I always have good answers for you.
    As for the innovations in China, I told you The Needham Question to explain.

When you talked about the international languages, I also have a good answer to you.

Look at this website: http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/reprints/weber/rep-weber.htm
    to know The World's 10 most influential Languages and its criterion. Chinese ranks NO 6.

You can do some research on this problem.

By the way, if China colonize other small countries as British Empire did in the history, I believe at least Chinese will be used in more countries. But that's another problem.
  • wrote:
    "Well, the answer is simple.
    Because it is a complex language system and English is easier to learn by far!'

You take it for granted, English is not easy to learn unless you spent lots of time learning. Languages is just a tool.
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    Given the amount of German philosophers, students of philosophy usually flirt with Deutsch, and I was one of them, I´m agree with Ulrike.
    Hegel, Heidegger ?_? delicious riddles, with headache as gift!!
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    @Sun. In all time, people use the language of empire in this moment. is not an issue of easy or hard. Do you want an easy language for bussiness, politics and basic comunication face to face? then Esperanto.
  • wrote:
    Thanks, philosopher.
    I will find to read.
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    I totally agree with Astaroth.

And yes Chinese will become an increasingly popular language to learn as the country continues to develop. But it will never be the universal language. Too complicated to learn quickly, and too much money invested by countries towards English programs and curriculum.

If history had unfolded differently, then Chinese could very well have been the universal language. But now it is too little too late.

Chinese is the most spoken language in the world right now. But most of those people speaking Chinese are Chinese. Perks of having the largest population on earth. :P
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just off topic for a minute, or a few minutes, hahahaha ... I remember when I first learnt ASP (a computer script language) as part of the eComm project, I was a bit reluctant and tried to delay it with other projects, but after the project started, the ASP became less and less difficult and more interesting ...

I also have a similar story about my cooking ... hahahaha ...

The point is ... I find neither English or Chinese to be difficult, maybe because I grew up with both languages or maybe I dont know anything about either language (the latter is more probable, hahaha) ... but I believe nothing is difficult if you really put your heart into it ... the old Chinese saying is 世上无难事,只怕有心人...

So, Astaroth, maybe if you can change your view about the Chinese language, you might find it not that difficult ... and Sun, well, never mind, hahahaha ...

Have a good night gentlemen :)
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I think you could probably argue a case for most languages being more difficult than language x based on some distinct feature of grammar. Incidently, Welsh(and I'd guess the other Celtic languages) has mutations as well as the other standard 'this grammar is so hard and unique!' features that'd make it particularly difficult to master: Mutations are letters that change to another letter at the start of a word if it's preceded by certain standard prepositions, articles and connectives/conjunction, for instance a simple thing like nose translates as 'trwyn' individually 'fy nhrwyn' (my nose), 'y drwyn' (the nose) or 'a'r thrwyn' (on the nose). And it happens for every single Welsh word(though there is some order in the chaos...but you have to really look for it).

But I think, if you ignore the grammatical problems and look more at common things like vocabulary and intuitive pronounciation, I think English is ridiculously hard to learn perfectly because it's such a composite language that a lot of words don't follow strict pronounciation rules and can vary based on how they entered the language. Even without looking at modern(post 1300 modern!) influences in English, the language is still a mix-up of Anglo-Saxon dialects, Old and Middle French, Latin(some latin words bypassed the French by virtue of the Roman occupation of Britain pre-5th century) and Celtic (Brythonic and Goidelic).

• Petter Meisfjordskar
    Is there any school that teaches the core of English, like grammar that includes Verbs and how they change, adjectives, nouns, adverbs, sentence structures like relative clauses, conditional clauses, phonetics, language study and language acquisition to students?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... yes, but too many schools to name ... we had to do all these in Hong Kong back in primary school and I hated it ... oh, and preposition too ... really sucked at it ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.