Discussion » Travel » Cities you really hate

• wrote:
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?172301-Cities-you-really-hate&daysprune=1

Vivek Wagle
    Lonely Planet Author

A couple of weeks ago, we published a list of your ‘least favourite’ destinations.

Reaction was swift and fierce. There was some agreement and a whole lot of disagreement. A number of you took issue with the criterion for selection (highly visited site destinations that you were unlikely to save as a favourite). And several of you suggested more worthy cities for inclusion.

So we are proud to present to you a revised list of cities that you actually hate, based on your
    feedback. What do you think – did we get it right this time?

Your 9 most hated cities
    Detroit, USA – Crime, pollution and crumbling infrastructure don’t appeal to you.

Accra, Ghana – Ugly, chaotic, sprawling and completely indifferent to its waterfront location.

Seoul, South Korea – According to one comment, ‘It’s an appallingly repetitive sprawl of freeways and Soviet-style concrete apartment buildings, horribly polluted, with no heart or spirit to it. So oppressively bland that the populace is driven to alcoholism.’

Los Angeles, USA – A highly contentious pick, placed here because of its ‘uncontrolled sprawl, pollution, appalling traffic and ugly freeways.’

Wolverhampton, England – So bad that we don’t even have it on this site! Check out post 35 on this thread.

San Salvador, El Salvador – Widely acknowledged as the grubbiest of the Central American capitals.

Chennai, India – We describe it as lacking Mumbai’s prosperity, Delhi’s history or Bengaluru’s buzz. Even the movie stars are ‘not that hot.’ You think we’re being generous.

Arusha, Tanzania – A gateway to natural wonder that has more than its share of rust. Get out as quickly as you can.

Chetumal, Mexico – Combining the worst of mass tourism and outlying decay, Chetumal just doesn’t charm you.
  • wrote:
    I remembered that you talked about cities in China, so, which is your choice?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I love Beijing, Nanjing, Wuhan, Dalian, Qingdao. I hate...none
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Huh. Seoul is absolutely one of my favorite cities on the planet, and I've been to my fair share.

Can't imagine why the fauxhemians over at Lonely Planet and their granola-eating readership would pick the South Korean capital over, say, any number of the countless bland locales across the globe, like South Jersey or the crumbling former republics of the USSR,

Dorks.
  • THIS IS A BIG IMAGE
    Lanzhou and DaTong in 2005 when the coal mining trucks went through the city.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Guess it's up to me to rep for the D. I'm not even from there, but whatevs. I really don't think Detroit is so bad though, as long as you stay out of certain neighborhoods. Any city is like that though. Granted, the road system is ridiculous, but I don't think it deserves quite as much scorn as it receives.

Fuck Flint, though. That place is a shithole. This kid I'm tutoring asks me the other day, "which American cities are the worst?" Flint. No question.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I like L.A., bad traffic, racial tension, pollution, superficiality and all. My least favourite city in the world is easily Seattle's ugly step-sister, Tacoma, Washington.

Among Chinese cities, it would have to be Chongqing (apologies to Chongqing ren). The air there is black, and when it rains the PH content of the rain water is the same as vinegar!
  • G
    G wrote:
    Luoyang, Zhengzhou...I don't like Henan. Just don't know why~~~
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    where is Madrid in this ranking? the most grey and depressing city in the world, full of assholes with stupid accent, planted on a plateau as a landmark, bastion of old Spain, inn of racist and fascist, cradle of hemophiliacs and syphilitic kings.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Hong Kong and Las Vegas.

I am not really that into people chasing after me for money and getting ripped off at every turn. Oh yeah and it seems that these two cities have a very very very high concentration of hookers that are very aggressive. I have nothing against hookers, but I am not a customer and would like a chance to actually talk to women who are not working if you know what I mean : ) I am sure it is suitable for some, but these cities are way to fast for me. I like to relax a little.
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    i hated tianjin, the one day i went to visit the weather was awful and there just didnt seem to be anything to do, maybe i just needed someone to show me around...
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    Haha whats wrong with Wolverhampton. Wolverhampton is not too far from where I live. Want to know a shit city/town in England. It's got to be Salford, that place would win hands down!
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    Shanghais a great city and I dont understand how you say you hate a city if uv never been there. Thats just silly. Its like saying you dont like a food even though youve never tried it!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Shanghai, Hongkong, Las Vegas I used to really hate Paris too when I was living around there!
  • Miriam Pedersen
    I actually don't like Beijing. But I like Beijing people.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Shenzhen should be on the list.
  • G
    G wrote:
    Shenzhen is good, Shanghai is not bad too..Hong Kong, pretty amazing...
    I lived in these three cities so I know what they are...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I put Shenzhen one the No.1 place in my "most cultureless cities in China" list. But I don't hate the city at all, at least I can get very cheap foot massage there. I don't know how bad a city can be like, so that I can say "I hate the city"…

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Also surprised with Seoul. I wouldn't say it's my favourite city but definitely in the top half of cities I like.

Worst cities I've visited...

Absolutely hate Bucharest, Romania(but love Brasov in the same country), Bratislava, Slovakia isn't too pleasant and I wasn't too impressed with Warsaw, Poland.
  • G
    G wrote:
    Guangzhou, btw...
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    Hong Kong for sureeeee.
  • G
    G wrote:
    hk is not bad...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.