Discussion » Nonsense » Attn Foreigners

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    Hey all. Hope you are having a good night.
    I am conducting a survey and wonder if you guys could throw in your two cents.

Where are you from?
    What is the current status of the economic state there?

Just wondering

• Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    Although I haven't lived there in a while, from what I gather from family members it seems to be doing better and more opportunities opening up... Then again Colombia has for the most part had one of the most stable markets within Latin America.

Either way what do I know... I'm a student getting in big American debt with student loans..
  • wrote:
    Colombia and Mexico,

Very good places with drugs I saw from U.S. news, haha
    Therefore, Diego, you will be rich, do not forget me when you are rich.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Australia ...
    Not too well off, just above average ...
    Yeah actually the drug problem is something that has plagued our country for many years, and had funded the death of thousands. Although I'm already really used to people bringing it up and I can take it lightly many Colombians might feel really offended.

The solution to the problem lies in just legalizing drugs... but all governments gain too much from illegal drug trade so it probably will never happen.
  • wrote:
    “ I can take it lightly many Colombians might feel really offended.”
    haha, interesting, I found many Chinese never found themselves were offended and willing to to critical of their country and people.

I just watched ABC news, it seems that drug problem is very serious among teenagers in many states.
    yeah well the big problem with the drug business is that it brings in money for internal guerilla terrorist groups.. They use those funds to get more weapons.. Although these groups started with ideals over 60 years ago, around the 80s it all changed. These terrorist groups have murdered thousands of people, kicked people out of their homes, kidnapped thousands, and not to mention all the corruption because of drug money.

It's not that people get offended that we're being called drug dealers... it's that a lot of us have had some direct influence from this problem and others have no idea what's going on. All of this because people in other countries have too much money and too much free time and will pay shitloads of money for drugs...
  • wrote:
    Not as serious as in U.S., that's fine.
    imagine you had been living during the opium wars and people were just joking around about how you guys are all just a bunch of dragon chasers... while maybe some of your family members were completely addicted to opium and couldn't even handle their daily necessities
  • wrote:
    " All of this because people in other countries have too much money and too much free time and will pay shitloads of money for drugs..."
    Good argument, most stupid Chinese should be educated by your thinking, haha
  • Albulena Imeri
    Be senstive, guys. Harmony is so important in this world. President Hu says.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Astaroth wrote:
    its also a problem for many in china dude

Astaroth ... you were referring to the drug problem, right? Hahaha ...by the way, did I answer your questions/survey, or do you need more specific details?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    You should let Astaroth conduct his research without turning this thread into a cesspool of hurt feelings and politicized anger like you usually do. It's just good forum etiquette.

I'm not sure what your agenda is, but it's really getting tiresome.
  • Daniel Westerberg
    718 530 people registered as searching for a job in jan 2010 (of 9000' population) (compared to last year, that's +24% unemployment)
  • Daniel Westerberg
    yeah, it's not good at all, luckily for me, I'm in China :D
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    1. Don't know, it's been pretty bad since the "crisis", even people with "high profiles" don't find a job that easily
    2. Around 1400€ per month (2400€ average per month per household )
    3. Just got over 10%
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    where i can buy by Douglas Duncan and by eric mazur...... who knows pls contact me? I have tried search on giglapedia but nothing found .... ;( sad sad
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Blair: You can get those books at what the hell are you talking about? How is this in any way related to the topic? You know I love you but you make my brain hurt... hahaha

I'm from the US and the economic situation is pretty screwed over there, over 10% unemployment, but supposedly we're recovering... who knows.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    sry no prepense..lol you know me I always good at fuck up! but this time Im serious ... those books requested ···
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    ok astaroth ! just delete them ! thx reminder!
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Canada. When I left 5 years ago, the economic situation was pretty good. You didn't necessarily need a fancy education to get a good job in the 27-30 k per year range.

However, if reports from back home are any indication, it's all gone to shit. My ex went back 2 years ago, and even though she has several years experience in business management, the best she has been able to do job wise in working part time in a bank. She's in debt and living with her parents.

This seems to be a common problem in both Canada and the US these days. Not many places are hiring, and a lot of places are cutting back hours and laying people off. Most of the people on the receiving end of these cutbacks have mortgages to pay off and credit card debts that they can no longer afford to pay off. Bleak times.
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    Have to agree with Peter on Canada,

Although I haven't been back there for 3 yrs I hear there are employment problems. North America in general is the worst for personal debt by individual. Credit decides your whole life and the banks give it away too freely. Most people will spend their lives in constant debt.

I was one of them.
  • Åse Marie Strand
    I live in Alaska...the economy here is still thriving. It is not like the rest of the US (which we refer to as "the lower-48").
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Laura, that's because no matter how bad things get in the rest of the world, there will always be a demand for guys to go out and club baby seals...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I saw the words CPA and "finance" ...

I am not sure about the "why", but as far as I know, CPA (and finance in general) goes a long way in China when compared to how Marco described about his friend in USA ... one of the girls who used to work for my wife, got her job offer within a month after quitting from Text100, and she does not even have a CPA, but the "bad" news is that the (new) company closes shop last month (or perhaps good news for her, because she got paid 2-3 months, hahaha, oh, that reminds me, she still owes me dinner) ...

I will try to see it in a bigger picture ... when IT was hot around the 90's, everyone talks about Silicon Valley, and now I doubt if many still remember where it is ... when the stock market was still good (cant really say HOT), Wall Street was the place to go, and we all remember what happened in 2008/09 ...

I am not 100% sure if China is "booming", because there is also India ... but for someone with good education and experience, (hahahaha, sadly, not me) there is definitely plenty of opportunities compared to USA and Canada (see above), well, otherwise, I will be not sitting here in the first place ... *sigh* ...

Another word I saw was "debt" ... but perhaps off topic, heehee ...

I dont know much about anything, but since most of you are still in your 20's or early 30's, my simple suggestion is start managing your own finance now ... Robert Kiyosaki said that one can create wealth by using "debt" (or leverage), but that's not a easy road, as it needs dedication, time (and plenty of it) and experience (trial and error, and some financial loss along the way), and most of us cannot afford that because we simply have too much to do ... another thread, another time ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.