Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Beijing Language and Culture University - Your tho

• Wu Tao
    Wu Tao wrote:
    Hey,

I'm thinking about studying one semester Chinese at the Beijing Language and Culture University (北京语言大学).
    What to know about the uni?
    Are the programs good?

Is a intensive course with 30h per week worth it?
    How big is the difference of the average learning success between the 20h and the 30h course?

Thanks for your help!

best, Tao
  • Sara Elise Fladmark Seland
    The difference between the hours is the student.. It doesn’t matter how many hours you go to class, but how much can you learn and how much you can use it in real life or exercise.
    About the students’ level in it, although the teachers and books used are both reasonably good, BLCU isn't the best environment to study. Also the price for the dorm is stupidly high.
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    blcu is a good university and I argue about the comment above its a great environment to study, youll meet people to practice your chinese with, its a very nice campus too. i studied there
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    I've done 2 different programs (not at BLCU) and have found them very similar... I think the way they teach Chinese in the classrooms here isn't very good for the western mind anyways, but it's still worth it.

The order in which you learn vocabulary in the book makes no sense, as you'll learn words that you'll never use way before words that seem like a necessity. In the end how much you learn is directly proportional to your effort... and not just in class. Both times I was in the program I attended about 60% of class time, but In all my classes I have always been the best at speaking because I have lots of Chinese friends...However I've always been the worst at reading, writing, vocabulary and grammar...

In the end it all depends on what you want to do with the language and how much effort you're willing to put into learning. (and try to not get caught in a foreign student bubble)
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    so yeah... wheather you choose BLCU, Tsinghua, Pekin Uni, or any other small school.. it'll probably be around the same...
    I studied there too, met some pretty nice people there. But as I see, comparing to other schools that I've been to, BLCU can be a poisoning environment. Students and some teachers use too much enlgish inside and outside the classroom, and some people who came to China for fun. In the end it's just a matter of how much you want to study, not just party and have fun.
    Also, I know that, being portuguese my mother language, it is quite hard to find a language partner in the campus, I can't say the same for you, Mike.
    Oh, and if that interests you, I should point that the majority of the students are female... That's what I heard, is it right?
  • №❶ Passioη
    You made a right choice of a university. BLCU is also the best I would recommend for Chinese language learning in Beijing, but if you're not aiming to become a Chinese language journalist for CCTV in 6 months, or taking up a Chinese language major in a short time then the 30 hrs / week course is NOT worth it for you.

I would say it's like attempting to ride 180KMs / hour on camel.... sooner than later, your foreign head will explode and you have all the Chinese characters flying here and there... Especially if you happen to fall under one of those serious minded Shandong teachers with no sense of humour, your express ticket to hell. You will literally dream of Chinese characters talking to you in your sleep blah blah. Ok, don't get scared, it's not that bad... BUT...

If you wanna learn the language just to get more compatible with the Chinese society, 20 hrs / week is more reasonable, gives you some breathing space - more space to try out your chinese not just with other foreigners in the class but in public places as well, you could really be comfortable with the pace of this course + it's almost equally competitive with the 30 hr / week course yet more relaxing.... Trust me, you'll speak almost like the locals in 6 months especially if you're not the truant type...

Have Fun ;)
  • Valery
    Valery wrote:
    Hey,

thanks a lot for your advices!

熊伟 "肥仔", do you have a better alternative?

I'm here to learn about the CHINESE culture and life. I won't hang out with foreigners 24/7. I also want to live in a flat share with Chinese people I can practise my Chinese with.

Since I'm a poor guy, I will probably take the 20h course and try to have additionally a language exchange partner.

best, Tao
    In Beijing I know two schools have really good programs, 北航 (BUAA) and 外交学院.
    I'm sure you can definitely find a cheap apt to share with some locals, they know where to find the cheap ones. Saw some really nice apt with good prices.
    Good luck on your choice!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.