Discussion » Current Events » Water Conservation

• Cloris
    Cloris wrote:
    If water-rich Yunnan can be hit by a drought ,what happens there today could happen in Beijing tomorrow.
    I called my parents once before the time when i knew the drought with southwest China, and i called them again just now when the newspaper kept showing this news.
    I told them to save water,drought could happens in our city the day after tomorrow.

We all know that the power of solidarity is great as well as the people's power.
    So let's hold our hands together to save every drop of water.
    One World, One Dream.
    Keep holding our belief, let peace return to the earth.
  • Karoline Hansen
    you know, Astaroth, i have the same experience to you like went to the bathroom after my roommates didn't turn off the tap tightly.
    i'm still working on it ,try to remind them each time after they took a shower.

thanks for your reply
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sadly, Chinese are very much like that, i.e. until the problem hits, they dont see that as a problem ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I meant that, the problem is now in southern China, but the northern part dont feel it yet ...
  • Karoline Hansen
    I think that's not to bad, at least people will do sth. when they encountering problems.
    The worst stuff is that people ignore them, and just let them be to make them worse.
    Now i know why people say: Attitude is everything.
    You're impressive!
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    Cloris, your reasoning is shaky
    check out Boston Legal S04E10 or E11, i can't recall exactly
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

In Hong Kong, we had this old saying: 事不关己,己不努心 ... and I just found out the similar version in northern Chinese: 事不关己高高挂起... both meaning that if the problem (issue, matter etc) is not my concern, then it is not my problem and I would not have to worry about it ...

I always think, solving small problems is easier than solving big problems, but a lot of them would rather wait for the small problems to become big problems ...
  • Karoline Hansen
    "In Hong Kong, we had this old saying: 事不关己,己不努心 ... and I just found out the similar version in northern Chinese: 事不关己高高挂起... both meaning that if the problem (issue, matter etc) is not my concern, then it is not my problem and I would not have to worry about it ...

I always think, solving small problems is easier than solving big problems, but a lot of them would rather wait for the small problems to become big problems ... "

i agree your second paragraph Uncle Dingdang
    but the 1st one......
    i think you should also know the old saying in China: 国家兴亡,匹夫有责.
    and i learned this one: 节约用水,从小做起 since i was studying in China's primary school
    you know what does that mean?
    It means Chinese is doing the trifle things before they will become tomorrow's national issues. And when they do become the national issues,it maybe not all because of people's fault, sometimes it's act of God which it happens all the time.
  • Karoline Hansen
    not big enough?
    what do you mean?
    save water is the point
    water issue do effect all living things on the earth
    that's why we should tackle it asap before it became a big issue
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I have watched enough TV series and movies to understand 国家兴亡,匹夫有责... what I was trying to say, is that a lot of people do not see this "issue" big enough to be considered a problem that needs to be solved or faced ...

My guess is ... if you talk to someone who likes to keep his/her car clean and shiny, about the current crisis in the south west, they are likely to ignore you, worse yet, laugh at you ... they will still take their car to the car wash,

You have an ideal, and I do admire that ... but what we say here is only what we say, there is currently not enough action from the government to push people to save water ... there is no law or regulation to cut down water usage ... and a lot of people actually think that water is an unlimited resource ... but they had ignored how water supply is related to the weather etc ...
  • Karoline Hansen
    yeah if we always leave things to gov, and let them make rules put them into action
    what's the difference between us and prisoners
    sometimes we are the gov
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

In the global sense ... each country should be doing its own bit anyway ... isnt that what Cloris just said too?

In the individual sense ... when Australia had the drought issue, they brought out different levels of regulations to control water usage, e.g. hosing the garden is only permitted at specific days and hours, no more car wash at home (which apparently use up more water than car wash) etc ...

Recalling the "temporary smoking ban", or the "traffic control" in BJ prior to and during Olympics, I think we can agree that if the government wants control, it can be controlled ... it's just a matter of "will" ...
  • Karoline Hansen
    it's kind of sad that people leave their lives to government

wooohoooo
    it's like a chain,if you do one thing right,then all right
    one wrong,all down
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... yes, it is ... but that's how this part of the world runs ...
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    shame indeed... I see my roomate putting two things in the washing machine and it irks me... but I don't like conflict so I don't say anything...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

According to today's China Daily ... 31 March 2010 ... golf courses, ski resorts, bath houses and car washers are the biggest water consumers, and of all 62 golf courses in (and around) Beijing, only 4 are using reclaimed water, and 0.5 tonnes of water is consumed per sq meter of grass annually ...

... everyone doing his/her bit to save water? Yeah, right ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... never had the money to play golf anyway, and it is very questionable whether you can manage 9 holes ... *wink* *wink* ...

One thing that is odd, is when the local government had asked people to use less water, the grass usually gets greener and greener ...
  • Karoline Hansen
    i still think that do our own best should put on top of the list
    then let the gov make their own rules and put them into effect

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.