Discussion » All non BJ languages » Sexy Words!

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Always one for slightly sad and odd hobbies, I’m having a minor love affair with the English language.

That saucy bastard mix of Anglo-Saxon, Norman French and Low German not to mention all those Latin and Greek roots, crikey I have a hard on just thinking about it.

Specifically my fetish is little used, odd or obscure words, can’t get enough of them; I collect them like others do stamps.

If people might indulge me I’m hoping this thread can be for people to post an English word they like and its meaning. As is often the way in my life, exotic entries preferred ;-)

I’ll get the ball rolling

Meacock: n. a feminine, cowardly, uxorious, or spiritless man.

NB: being ‘uxorious’ is being overly submissive to your wife (under the thumb, perhaps).
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I like these:

Bildungsroman – a type of novel concerned with the education, development and maturing of a young protagonist.

camarilla - a group of secret and often scheming advisers.

crapulence - sickness caused by excessive eating or drinking; excessive indulgence.

curmudgeon – a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.

flaneur - one who strolls about aimlessly; a lounger or a loafer.

haberdasher – a retail dealer in men’s furnishings; a dealer in small wares and notions.

hobbledehoy - an awkward, gawky young fellow.

internecine – conflict or struggle within a group, mutually-destructive; characterized by great slaughter.

lumpen - of or relating to dispossessed and displaced individuals; especially those who have lost social status; common, vulgar.

Panglossian - excessively or naively optimistic, esp. in the face of unrelieved hardship or adversity.

paroxysm – a sudden outburst of emotion or action; a sudden attack, recurrence or intensification of a disease.

prolixity – extending to great, unnecessary or tedious length.

salmagundi - any mixture or assortment; a medley, a miscellany.

sinecure - an office or position that requires or involves little or no responsibility, work or active service.

sybarite – dedicated to pleasure.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    sinecure - an office or position that requires or involves little or no responsibility, work or active service.

Shouldn't this be sinocure?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    + 1
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    The above list will undoubtedly come in handy in the event that I join a Dungeons and Dragons session -- or decide to pen some "Lord of the Rings" slash fiction.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Did somebody say D&D?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Writers.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Awesome list Peter, have always loved wittol.

Isn't that the beauty of it Astaroth? You have read 1000's of books and you haven't come across these words....

2 million fucking words, gotta love it
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    Uhmm... sorry no interesting words to add to this list... although I do love words like dude or gnarly which are fairly new to the language... but don't really seem to have much basis for existence...

Either way.. I just wanted to say I liked Jon's sidenote
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    As ever, betrayed by my smutty side:

rectalgia
    n. Arse pain

fabulist
    n. someone who tells fables; a liar

bathycolpic
    adj. having large breasts

testudineous
    adj. 1. very slow.
    2. Looking like a tortoise

Marlish
    Relaxed, easy-going

threpterophilia
    n. -a fondness for female nurses
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    threpterophilia
    n. -a fondness for female nurses

LOL, this can't be a real word! hahaha, I looked it up in dictionary.com and found nothing.

You are just totally fabulist today!
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    folie à deux
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Jon,

I'll admit it is obscure but it is very much a word. I think you're just suffering from shock that there is a word that nails you so completely.

and other that does here...

satyriasis - n. abnormal and uncontrollable desire by a man for sexual intercourse
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Dun see anything abnormal about that! Bazinga!
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    peccavi (pe-KAH-vee) noun

An admission of guilt or sin.

The story goes that in 1843, after annexing the Indian province of Sind,
    British General Sir Charles Napier sent home a one word telegram, "Peccavi"
    implying "I have Sind." Although apocryphal, it's still a great story.
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Wittol - beautiful. I think we all know one of those...

Crapulous/crapulent - such a great word

Rantallion - to describe a man whose testicles are measurably larger than his penis.

Hebo/Ephebophilia - I mentioned on a forum earlier, is a term that better describes what people often mistakenly call a paedophile. An Ephebophile likes late adolescent girls (or boys) of ages 15-19 and is something we've all been guilty or once or twice (or thrice). A Hebo likes them around mid to late puberty. Actually, pedos like 4-year-olds and I doubt there's really that many of those

Valetudinarian - someone obsessed with their health, while being sickly (not therefore a hypochondriac)

Priapism - an inability to lose an erection

Calypgian - have we had this one? Having sexy buttocks

• Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:

姑娘---我总是喜欢姑娘多过女孩,或者妞,或者女人…….又甜蜜又风情,一种亲近和距离之间刚刚好的叫法.
    姑娘(gu niang)--To call a girl I prefer Gu Niang 姑娘 than 女孩,or妞,or 女人....sweet and yet a subtle flirt. Socially It's like perfect calling between too much intimacy and unnecessary distance. Just my opinion though.

In English god I'm really lack of confidence to pick words since I hardly recognize those above. Just within my vocabulary I'd say Velvety...Sublime..Zazzle.....more interesting by how they sound.

BTW, It's constantly strikes me that when reading or talking in a non-mother tongue, oftenly fully understand the meaning of words but faile to get the flavor of them...and sometimes the "flavor" seems to be the only thing that really matters if you know what I mean...-o-...keep on working on it though.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Letsmojito, 我也十分 喜欢 “姑娘” 这个词。 你对它的诠释非常好- “一种亲近和距离之间刚刚好的叫法.”

我还特别喜欢 “空灵",一个完全体现意境之美的词。

I also agree what you said about non- mother tongue language. It's not difficult to understand foreign languages, but very very difficult to FEEL them from the bottom of your heart.

Sorry can't contribute anything to your thread, Carlos.:-)
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    This one is a real cracker...

defenestrate
    verb tr.: To throw someone or something out of a window.

ETYMOLOGY:
    From Latin de- (out of) + fenestra (window).
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    or in architecture, simply to remove the fenestration
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    We used to use 'defenestrate' a lot back at school. I'm not really sure why as it didn't happen often, but it was definitely a popular word at the time...

I think my favourite of the moment is probably 'lycanthropic', adjective form of:

lycanthropy

a delusion that one has become or has assumed the characteristics of a wolf
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    A good one Ed, bizzarely it has a synonym...

Lupine, means pretty much the same thing.

Makes sense what with it being such a common affliction and everything
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Without checking online, lupine is "wolk-likeor of wolf", much like feline or bovine. "Carlos gave a lupine grin when he realized his new girlfriend had a bovine intellect," for example

Lycanthropic is of or relating to the condition of being a wolf - it's a medical term, for the most part, (granhted there are other uses) and the condition is thought to have given rise to the medieval belief in werewolves and shapeshifters etc
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    There are always some good collective nouns out there.

A gaggle of geese.
    A pride of lions.
    A murder of crows

but my favourite has to for a cobblers (shoemenders).

A drunkship of cobblers.

Drunkship, how awesome is that?
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Catamite: n. A younger boy kept for homosexual purposes

I have one in my kitchen cupboard.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Ah, always loved that good old Roman tradition... Death matches between hard muscular well oiled men in the Colosseum's during the day and tiny young well oiled boys during the night. Now those people knew how to celebrate masculinity.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Quite Jon,

The love between a man and a woman is a wonderful thing and no doubt it runs very deep. It, however, will never compare to that much purer love, the love that dare not speak its name, between a gentleman and a younger.

To be able to mentor to, guide and teach about the ways of man, now that is a truly masculine art.

Now where were we, oh yes

sarmassation n. - love play.

sarmassophobe n. - a woman who dislikes love play
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    alectryomachy cock-fighting

between fowl, not the type that goes on in these forums.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    These have become more mainstream but here they are anyways...

Queef - a vaginal expulsion of air. Pussy fart, basically.

Choad - a penis that is wider than it is long. Or alternately, the flap of skin between the anus and the penis.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    logomachy: a contention or arguement about words or within words.

As in:

Dice and Carlos had a logomachic ding-dong over the merits of Lupine against Lycanthropic.
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    houri

A voluptuous, alluring woman.

one of the beautiful virgins provided in paradise for all faithful Muslims.

Demimonde

(esp. during the last half of the 19th century) a class of women who have lost their standing in respectable society because of indiscreet behavior or sexual promiscuity.

Seraglio

the part of a Muslim house or palace in which the wives and concubines are secluded; harem.

Steatopygyus

An extreme accumulation of fat on the buttocks.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Nice one with, 'Houri' Pomegranate... always liked that cracker.

Persiflage: as- Banter, jesting, flippancy
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:
    With a bit of imagination "fulminating" and "spatchcocked" can be used effectively in erotic fiction.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    indeed, there is nothing quite like spatchcocking and thoroughly roasting a nice, young bird
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Inveigler - what the many men of this board claim/pretend to be
  • Joy Zhou
    Joy Zhou wrote:
    it s funny , learnt a lot , thx
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    That saucy bastard mix of Anglo-Saxon, Norman French and Low German not to mention all those Latin and Greek roots, crikey I have a hard on just thinking about it.

You missed out Brythonic and Goidelic. How dare you!

Quite like 'mither' (to fuss/bother) though it's not in dictionary.com.

I'm also a fan of deictic(pointing/showing, but is used primarily in a linguistic context) and heteroglossia(a more recent addition to the English lexicon, meaning many-tongued/voiced)

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    A somewhat common word that I've always loved:

1.) Dénouement

In literature, a dénouement (pronounced /deɪˈnuːmɑ̃/) consists of a series of events that follow the climax of a drama or narrative, and thus serves as the conclusion of the story. Conflicts are resolved, creating normality for the characters and a sense of catharsis, or release of tension and anxiety, for the reader.

(speaking of, Catharsis is a good word too)

-----------

A less common word that was briefly introduced to the world of indie film lovers thanks to a 2008 movie by Charlie Kaufman starring Philip Seymour-Hoffman:

2) Synecdoche

A synecdoche is a figure of speech in which the one of the following (or its reverse) is expressed:

* A part stands for a whole
    * An individual stands for a class
    * A material stands for a thing

(Gotta love a word where part of its definition includes the phrase "or its reverse")

Confused? Here's another way to explain it:

Synecdoche: figure of speech, a species of metaphor, in which a part of a person or thing is used to designate the whole—thus, "The house was built by 40 hands" for "The house was built by 20 people."

Or Wikipedia's incredibly confusing explanation:

Synecdoche (pronounced /sɪˈnɛkdəki/ si-NEK-də-kee; from Greek synekdoche (συνεκδοχή), meaning "simultaneous understanding") is a figure of speech in which a term is used in one of the following:

* Part of something is used to refer to the whole thing (Pars pro toto), or
    * A thing (a "whole") is used to refer to part of it (Totum pro parte), or
    * A specific class of thing is used to refer to a larger, more general class, or
    * A general class of thing is used to refer to a smaller, more specific class, or
    * A material is used to refer to an object composed of that material, or
    * A container is used to refer to its contents.

Beat that!
  • Andre Lund
    Andre Lund wrote:
    Or by 19 normal people and two 1 armed people....

Beaten?
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    i read 'sinecure'... in french we have this word too but the meaning is a little bite different than in english. it s an easy job who brings good money...
    'denouement' have the same meaning in french, and about 'synecdoche' we write it synecdoque.
    learn a lot thank u all...
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    Here's a list of the top 50 words that New York Times readers had to look up most often during the course of reading articles online in 2010 so far. Renminbi makes the list! There's some awesome words on here, and several I didn't know. If anyone knows all 50 of these, you are a bigger nerd than I.

(ps - #6 is not a real word)

NYT WEB ANALYTICS GROUP

Most Frequently Looked-up Words on NYTimes.com

Date Range: 1/1/2010 through 5/26/2010

Word - Reader Lookups - News Articles - Op-Ed or Editorial - Lookups per use
    1 inchoate 8,172 13 7 409
    2 profligacy 6,675 23 5 238
    3 sui generis 5,675 7 2 631
    4 austerity 5,517 155 12 33
    5 profligate 4,776 31 5 133
    6 baldenfreude 4,734 0 1 4,734
    7 opprobrium 4,627 14 2 289
    8 apostates 4,553 5 2 650
    9 solipsistic 4,329 7 0 618
    10 obduracy 4,288 1 1 2,144
    11 Internecine 4,159 7 3 416
    12 soporific 3,670 1 1 1,835
    13 Kristallnacht 3,389 3 1 847
    14 peripatetic 3,118 29 1 104
    15 nascent 3,050 99 6 29
    16 desultory 3,025 12 2 216
    17 redoubtable 2,879 10 2 240
    18 hubris 2,867 36 9 64
    19 mirabile dictu 2,778 0 1 2,778
    20 crèches 2,711 0 1 2,711
    21 apoplectic 2,692 7 2 299
    22 overhaul 2,687 580 25 4
    23 ersatz 2,636 17 1 146
    24 obstreperous 2,634 2 1 878
    25 jejune 2,564 2 1 855
    26 omertà 2,517 8 0 315
    27 putative 2,470 11 1 206
    28 Manichean 2,467 3 1 617
    29 canard 2,359 8 5 181
    30 ubiquitous 2,350 158 10 14
    31 atavistic 2,267 4 1 453
    32 renminbi 2,243 63 5 33
    33 sanguine 2,069 23 4 77
    34 antediluvian 2,027 3 2 405
    35 cynosure 1,912 3 0 637
    36 alacrity 1,910 7 3 191
    37 epistemic 1,902 1 1 951
    38 egregious 1,892 61 16 25
    39 incendiary 1,889 67 6 26
    40 chimera 1,850 6 0 308
    41 laconic 1,840 19 1 92
    42 polemicist 1,801 4 1 360
    43 comity 1,793 2 4 299
    44 provenance 1,763 53 1 33
    45 sclerotic 1,719 7 0 246
    46 prescient 1,716 45 4 35
    47 hegemony 1,669 18 5 73
    48 verisimilitude 1,656 14 0 118
    49 feckless 1,617 15 9 67
    50 démarche 1,596 5 0 319
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    Hahaha, it's not easy. I haven't met one in Beijing, but there are a few in New York that I know about.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Today you can add, VUVUZELA.
  • Kcina
    Kcina wrote:
    hahahahaha....
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I know all 50 of those.

What do I win?
  • Rebecca Dreiling
    Lies! ;)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    No, it's true. Courtesy of dictionary.com's Word of the Day email since early-2005.

Today's word is oscitant -- yawning, as with drowsiness.
  • Jenelyn Tambago
    as your posts :P
  • kö
    wrote:
    i like 大妈 阿姨 和 大嫂 lol```
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    This one is a gem that I came across in a Chinese newspaper, of all places: Hornswoggle (verb): to deceive, cheat, trick or bamboozle. As in, 'it appeared the Thai Lady was not so much a lady after all, Carlos felt thoroughly hornswoggled.' A beautiful word with a wonderful lilt to it. It sounds very 18th Century but sadly I can find nothing on its etymology.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.