Discussion » Music » Peaches band sucks.

• JimmyBond
    JimmyBond wrote:
    Harmonize this, biatch.
  • Albulena Imeri
    But I still like GA
  • Albulena Imeri
    I like the Swiss-Francs and SG dollars.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I like nasty genderfuck electroclash.

If Peaches gets harmonized, and there's no concert because S&M doesn't sit right with the PSB, I'mma find you and shit on your chest for jinxing it.
  • Albulena Imeri
    @Dando: I will be a nice guy this time.

U misunderstood the thread in the first place. Some comments, including mine, were "harmonized" by the Peach tour thread owner yesterday.

But if they do S&M, that's better than Britney Spears in terms of creativity and artistic value, IMO.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I misunderstood? Seems more like you miscommunicated. Maybe that's why your comments got deleted.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    You're a musician. Show some solidarity, dude. How many foreign acts make it to Beijing? Haven't you been slightly bummed out by things like MIDI getting cancelled? The authorities get scared very easily. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

So it's a small wonder comments are getting screened by the folks in charge of promotion. It sucks, but that's their job.

But hey maybe I'm missing some critical information here. The thread starter could give an actual explanation and an account of what happened instead of bitching pointlessly without giving a reason.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'll do an interview later this week with Peaches to promote this gig.

Care to submit a few intrepid questions, Mr. Bond? I'll gladly pass them along, with accreditation of course.
  • AL DI
    AL DI wrote:
    Hi Dando Z , thanx for all the support , We just want to bring as much as Western bands to China , And i really like Peaches , that's all i care about .

And Astaroth is a metalhead , I used to bring all metal bands to China from Skid row , Stratovarius to Destruction , Ensiferum and Behemoth . next time when i bring another metal band to China , i will keep that guy in the loop .

for us , we just want to make the chinese rock music scene better .
  • Albulena Imeri
    Pete: This is just my personal preference in music. But it seems to me that their audience is no adult male. And you can ask them that if appropriate.

My "bitching": Some other posters' and my follow-up comments on the Original "peach" thread were deleted without any explanation. And I excercised my first amendment right legally. (US version)

For the record, this is a public forum and as anyone else, I am entitled to express my opinion and not obliged to answer to anyone.

And thanks.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I still don't follow you, Mr. Bond. (Ha.)

"Their audience is no adult male?"

I missed whatever spat you guys had earlier. Can you elaborate?
  • Albulena Imeri
    Pete: It seemed to me that Peach's fans are not a lot of male adults. Macho.

Hope this can make my point more clear.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Thanks for responding, but it's still unclear.

I'm just going by the thread title: "Peaches band sucks."

I'll put it this way: Why do you dislike Peaches, and what does her audience have to do with why you dislike her?
  • Albulena Imeri
    You are welcome.

Frankly speaking, I dislike their and Ms. Spears' music. I guessed that not many male adults would like it very much, either. Just stereo-typing.

Also, it was an expression of frustration that my comments had been deleted by someone.

I hope this is more clear now and thanks.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Cool.

FYI, we'll soon implement an upgrade in regards to comments, showing if a comment was deleted by the thread owner or an admin.

Until then, it's best to grit your teeth and bear it.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Is it new censorship rule?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Censorship? Not at all. As I said, it's just an upgrade to clarify who deleted a comment: the thread holder or an Admin.

But it's irrelevant to this thread. PM me if you have any additional questions.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Sure.
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    I have to agree, I saw them in London: the first band was some no name girl punk band playing cute, uh, girl punk. People screamed for them to take off their clothes. Then came Peaches, it was awful, I felt like I was in a strip club, only with worse music. People took breaks from talking to scream obscenities and throw bottles while the singer pretended to deepthroat a microphone. Then the Distillers played. People screamed out song requests or simply requests to play another song in between dancing like crazy.

There is a right way and a wrong way for women to play music, and from what I've seen of Peaches they exemplify the wrong way. That is, shitty music and acting like as much of a whore as possible. One of the things I love about the Beijing music scene is there have been so many women involved in bands since the beginning that they aren't a gimmick, and people just see them as musicians.

Granted, I haven't heard Peaches in 6 years, but I didn't get the impression that they would do a lot of growing musically...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Adam
    Great points. Completely agree with you on women in China's music scene: I love how integrated it is and how women don't feel the need to use their bodies as sexual devices, but rather as finely-honed tools in which to rock the fuck out.

Distillers must have been amazing, by the way.
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    I saw them a few times, were amazing every time. Have you heard Brody's new band? Spinnerettes? Don't.
  • Simen Wangberg
    "...the market is not ready for it."

THIS market is ready for it. OW OWWWWW

Peaches is going to be fucking amazing.

"There is a right way and a wrong way for women to play music..."

And what, pray tell, is the "right" way? I'd like to know.
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    I saw her in maybe 2004, assuming this was the "shake your dicks" girl. I've got no problem with music sexual energy, or women who use it, it's hard to separate the two (where do you think the term rock & roll comes from).

Maybe it's because I'm not a fan of the music (it seems to me to range from stilted and uninteresting to aggressively bad), but it just seemed like a sound track for her to dance around on stage. If I want to see a girl dance around all slutty to bad music in a shitty costume I'll go to a strip club. That has nothing to do with her being a woman either, in my eyes she's a lot like the boy bands you mention, only aimed at a different audience.

I will say it has been half a decade since I had the misfortune of listening to a Peaches song, so maybe I'm totally off base, but I've just never understood the appeal.
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    Mistaken

yes, "OW OWWWW" indeed. I know reading is hard, so here are some of the examples the grown ups were discussing:

the Distillers

To grab a Chinese band, Ourself Beside Me. An all girl trio from Beijing, featuring a member of Hang on the Box, another all-girl outfit, and the first Chinese band to play south by southwest or receive any real international attention (newsweek cover anyone?)

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Lol this is great advertising :) I'm almost willing to go and see how terrible she is!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    She's not bad... just provocative and controversial, hence the lively debate. (Her most recent record, last year's "I Feel Cream," is a great dance record with top-notch production and dialed-down lyrics.)

But you're right, Shane: any publicity is good publicity.
  • Adam
    Adam wrote:
    Yeah, I don't know anything about what she's done in years, I just assumed her greatest accomplishment was dressing up like a whore and realizing that "dicks" and "tits" rhymed. So now she has a producer too?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    British production duo Simian Mobile Disco did some work on that album: it sounds quite good if you can recognize good electro from bad, I guess.

But it's not as good as the first Bad Religion record that I'm listening to now. Someone should bring them to Beijing.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Adam

lulz c'mon man, I know who the Distillers are. I was just taking the piss - I'm actually largely indifferent to whether or not Peaches' (or any other female performers') stage show is sexually provocative in nature, although I couldn't possibly see her not doing that kinda stuff, it just fits with her whole deal. For the record, I liked Peaches before I knew that she ran around in hot pants and humped things - but I won't deny that that particular aspect of her live show is appealing to me. I didn't expect the gals in Sleater-Kinney to be running around in spandex shorts when I caught them a few years back, and I wouldn't expect Peaches to show up in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt when she comes here in April. Ya dig?
  • Albulena Imeri
    With all the due respect, I do not see any difference in her and strippers. And from a feminist's perspective, using her sexual "power" lowers her music.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Sheryl: Thanks for sharing your opinion.

"Strippers dance to please men, Peaches dance to please herself and doesn't give a fuck what others think."
    Very hard to tell that difference from an audience' perspective.

“Well frankly I don't see how any men who have had one night stands could call any girls sluts, men are more whorey.“
    I agree. And many "modern" men have different (or even contradictory) standards when choosing long and short-term female partners. But to be fair, so do many girls. I think like relationships, this is very complicated.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Comparing ecdysis -- or the act of stripping -- and the active creation of music are like comparing apples and oranges.

Slamming Peaches for her stage presence? Okay, fair enough. Slamming her for her music? Gotcha.

But the two are unrelated.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Sheryl: "no men find that kind of dance sexy, including you and Adam. " Exceptions will be audience members who are 50-year old, unattractive dudes. lol.

Pete: To me, her music is just medicore.
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    ecdysis = the shedding or casting off of an outer coat or integument by snakes, crustaceans, etc.?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    It's also used by many to describe the ages-old profession of stripping, primarily by those who take it seriously as a career*.

Be sure to tune in tomorrow at 10am sharp for your Word of the Day.

*I used to work in a strip club.
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    i checked "ecdysiast" and found "stripper"... iineteresting.

where did you work in strip club? what job?
  • Simen Wangberg
    I used to work in a strip club.

Chippendales? EHEHEH okay so that isn't even a real "club" per se. I couldn't not make some kind of comment along those lines
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    岑麟艺
    I was a Jack of All Trades: DJing, bouncing, bodyguard at private parties, etc.

Jenny Wu
    We'll have pre-sale Peaches tickets available for delivery later this week. Let me know if you'd like to reserve some.
  • Simen Wangberg
    We'll have pre-sale Peaches tickets available for delivery later this week.

Hell yes you will. Holler at me when these become available?
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    Every girl loves PEACHES! I've got the ticket....
    Feminism's gonna sweep the whole city!
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    @pete
    in china? or usa?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Mistaken
    Sure thing.

岑麟艺
    The States. China doesn't have strip clubs, unfortunately.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Pete, a question for Peaches:

"What was it like working with Iggy Pop? Was it as messy as I might imagine?"
  • AL DI
    AL DI wrote:
    amazing .

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.