Discussion » Nonsense » Up-all-night-doing-nothing-syndrome

• Marco R
    Marco R wrote:
    I've got this condition. I can't seem to get to sleep before 2am for the life of me, despite even having to get up around 730 for work (actually snooze until 815).

I get home and after doing whatever it was after work gym sports dinners w/e, I manage to stay up on my computer for countless hours with cctv 9 playing in the background.

I'm knackered everyday, and eventually crash mid to end of week. But can't complain, I impose it on myself. Wtf?

Anyone else share this problem, too?

Ramz you know you stay up all night thinking about me. BROMO intended! get your Newfoundland ass back to china
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    I go through the same thing. Always have since I started working way back when. Basically I feel I don't get enough time to do the things I want to do during the day so I do them at night. Usually till 2 or 3 sometimes 4 in the morning. And have to get up at 7 the next day, same as you.

I do notice that I do it more in China though. I contribute it to Culture Shock. Because no matter how long you live in a foreign culture you will always be going through culture shock. Sometimes bad, sometimes not noticable.

Have you ever read what culture shock does to us? Crazy shit man.
  • wrote:
    1. Biological clock disorder
    2. Subhealthy
    3. Unhealthy living habits, such as smoking, drinking
    4. New living condition

Try to go to bed as early as possible;
    Practice your physical healthy;
    Go out for a walk to relax yourself;
    Leave away Internet and TV as long as you can;
    Find some of your countryman and play together;
    Try to make compromise with your new environment and be optimistic.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Wait until u go back to where-ever. The reverse cultural shock is as bad, or even worse.
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    JimmyBond wrote:
    Wait until u go back to where-ever. The reverse cultural shock is as bad, or even worse.

Yeah, funny that.
  • Cuteangelalice
    for me : Everyday morning i have to get up at 6:30am, cos before 8am , i have to catch shuttle bus to Airport area ; after work , i'm arrived home almost around 7pm , then keep doing my report of my work , sleep around 2-3:30am sometimes 4am .....
    Do you think this is normal ? actually i used to working this way until now about 3 years, however i know is not healthy of my body , but is very difficult to changed ......
    I'm also want to find way make myself sleep early too...but is seems so difficult ~....
  • Albulena Imeri
    @Marco: Be my guest, son.

@Alice: Move near the airport. Or change ur job.

• Simon Frederic
    Cuteangelalice: unless they pay you well- you better change job like ashro said.

walking running doing ground fighting may help.
    Winter pollution and people stealing your Fkng vegetables on KAIXINWANG may induce this kind of condition.

set a sleeping time - or read books. ebooks are cheap and it's probably better than spending hours writing on forums.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Simon, "Winter pollution and people stealing your Fkng vegetables on KAIXINWANG may induce this kind of condition."

LOL, I know!
    I thought it was on QQ space though.
  • Ramz
    Ramz wrote:
    I think you miss waking up to my man scent. That's your problem.
  • Ramz
    Ramz wrote:
    But seriously, its the fast pace life. I honest to god sleep at around 11:30 back here in Ottawa, and go out once a week. When I was in Beijing months back, I had the exact same problem - and it wouldnt really effect productivity. (only, like you're saying, i would die on weekends until like 4pm.)

basically, blame it on your surroundings. hard.
  • Ramz
    Ramz wrote:
    hahahaha, I'm flexing so hard right now, and my penis is out, shmell me? one.

• Malin Amanda Hansen
    I live in New York and I have the same syndrome everyday...
    I feel it's a sign of meaningless/purposeless life...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I agree with JimmyBond that culture shock might be one of the factors, but I think it is also related to the individual's mindset and life style ...

Perhaps a wild stab in the dark here ... but my guess is that most people having such issue usually have a very busy life style, both work and play, is that correct?

My most colorful life style would have been those four years I was in Hong Kong ... occasional dining out with friends (and family), sometimes having coffee afterwards, but usually ended around midnight ... sometimes played some mah-jong or snooker which might reach a little after midnight ... visited KTV once (at most twice) each year, and only once to a bar over those 4 years ... I know what you might be thinking ... that spelt B-O-R-I-N-G, hahaha ...

... however, I have seldom experienced such "syndrome", maybe except when I left Hong Kong for Sydney, changing to a very quiet suburb compared to the noisy HK scene ...

I have never done any yoga or meditation, because my mind dont stop, but I recommend changing life style if you are experiencing such "syndrome" ...
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    I have a ton of information in my bag, trying to find a link to something for ya.
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    I think it's more about having the self discipline of detach from the computer, go to bed and close ur eyes. Fuck valium or other sleeping medicine, that's for emergencies or chronic problems (or destructive hollywood celebs).

You could try Melatonin supplements though (supplement the body with the same hormone that is triggered when it gets dark outside), or grapefruit which is proven to give people better and deeper sleep. There's a lot of tricks on how to improve your sleep - just google (or at least try googling it, ha..)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and many more sleepless nights while googling for a remedy ...
  • Amalie Sæverud
    I'm a Chinese, and I live in China, but I still face with the problem for years! I agree Ole Marius, self discipline is more important, and which I lack! Strugglling for years , can't change in one day! But I hope it changes today!!! God help me!
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    wow~~is that becom a common problem~~~ 3 month ago~I sleep usually around 2am~~but recently I usually go to bed around 3am。。and I have to get up at730
    ~~~ and i feel sleepy every day time~~

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.