Discussion » Current Events » will you turn off lights for a hour on the night o

• Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:
    Extreme weathers have become more frequent around the global. Blizzard, flood, sand storm have claimed lives and resulted in economic losses. Some people are paying the price for what previous generations did. Some people are still damaging the environment.
    Earth Hour 2010 will take place on March 27. The public is urged to switch off all non-essential lights between 8.30pm and 9.30pm to help fight against climate change. Would you do your own bit?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    As much as I think it is required to increase everyone's awareness about energy economies that can and should be done in our daily lives (I'm no angel on that part, far from it), the chosen way demonstrates the worst possible example.

Lowering the energy required a lot for a short time only creates a stressful event on the energy distribution network. What mainly happens on such an event:

- Energy demand decreases a lot. The energy distribution network should be able to adapt to that and will probably stop using a few plants and only keep distributing energy from the other plants that keep running.
    - One hour later, everyone is going to put everything on again, creating a high demand peak on a weakened network. All the plants that were stopped will be started again (the cost of this is higher than keeping them running for the hour when we shut everything down), plus maybe a few others.

The global result is that we consumed more energy than if we did nothing. The other solution is that the people who manage that energy distribution network are aware of the situation and will just keep overproducing for 1 hour to avoid the cost of stopping and restarting plants.

Doing it 1 day for 1 hour does not help (except for global awareness), it does just the opposite ;-)
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:
    wow! that's so profounding an analysis. do hope the event would increase awareness of combating global warming and practise in daily life as you said.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    It just makes me wonder that the creator of this event, though motivated by good will end up creating an event that does just the opposite of what it should promote...
  • Åse Marie Strand
    Earth hour? What?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Saibo, I guess this event won't save energy, but I think it's a nice demonstration of people's commitments. Obviously we have no qualms with wasting energy anyway.
    Unfortunately I'll be at a concert and I don't think they'll turn the lights off.

8:30 tonight.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.