Discussion » Beijing Life » Being asked the stupid questions repeatedly

  • Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    how many times have you been asked the same series of questions. if you can add some to this list. Please do

    1. Do you like Chinese food?
    2. Do you have a Chinese girlfriend?
    3. What is your income?
    4. Do you like China?
    5. Can you speak Chinese?
    6. Where do you live?
    7. Will you settle down here?
    8. Why did you come here?
    9. Can you help my English?
    10. Do you miss your family?

    ai ya!!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    1. some of it
    2. no, 5
    3. I earn 764 Golden Napoleons per month, I don't know what it's worth in RMB
    4. As much as any other place on the earth
    5. A bit
    6. On the moon, I take the space shuttle every morning to go to work
    7. Settle? Do I look that old?
    8. The wind was blowing in that direction, I was trying to go back home but could not fight it. I ended up here
    9. I'm french, I can just help you get a horrible accent
    10. I see them every night when I go back to the moon, so it's ok.
  • Annie Ann
    Annie Ann wrote:
    @saibo : cute answers
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    what else does the poster expect?
    these are pleasantries for the inception of relationsip, whatever it drifts to later on....
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Except 7 ... and my version of 2 is different "is your wife Chinese"
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    poster, i just feel that u r quite miffed about being grilled by these same old questions...
  • wrote:
    It is normal, because most Chinese people are stupid and curious.
    I wait for for the day when no one care about you, at that time, the country will be a normal country.

    1. Do you like Chinese food?: Because they know nothing except food.

    2. Do you have a Chinese girlfriend?: Because most Chinese girl are material and they feel 有面子的 to have a foreign partner; actually, it is totally related with money.

    3. What is your income?: Because it is important for people no matter where you come from;

    4. Do you like China?: Because they do not know how to ask questions, most westerner do not like China for the cultural and ideological reasons;

    5. Can you speak Chinese?: You should learn to speak Chinese, the reason is simple, if you come to another country, why don't you speak local language? It is demanded by many governments and law.

    6. Where do you live?: ????

    7. Will you settle down here?: Housing prices are high enough, they think you are rich enough to buy one.

    8. Why did you come here?: Actually, it is a good question, as for me, I really do not know why some foreign guys stay in China for so long without any career, maybe some of you work for CIA.

    9. Can you help my English?: Because it is a country full with people want to speak English and go abroad.

    10. Do you miss your family?: Because they think family is important for them, but they do not know there are different traditions for different peoples.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... Sun, always good to see you online ... then my own version of 7 is "have you bought an apartment" ... or "have you got a house overseas" ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    4. It's not that people don't like China, it's that you can't answer such a question with a yes or a no. For everyone there are good things in this country but also a lot of bad stuff going on. What does it even mean to like China, what are we talking about? The people? The culture and the traditions? The way the country is run? The business "opportunities"? The food (again!)?

  • Patrick Coleman
    HOW OLD ARE YOU... this is the usual questions i always hear.
  • wrote:
    4. “For everyone there are good things in this country but also a lot of bad stuff going on.“
    Isn't is a good enough answer?
    It applies to any countries.

    But for most westerners, I believe there are many reasons to like "China":
    1. Cheap girls anywhere to fuck;
    2. Delicious food to eat, but be careful some of them are made of ”地沟油“, if you can not understand, fine, Mr. Dingdang can help me to translate;
    3. You do not need to know Chinese, but you can live in China;
    4. This is a real free country, because the free in this country is without constrains, that's why I believe it is still a backward country.
    5. In some sense, some of you stay in China, because you like the bad sides of this country.

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahahaha ... Angela, calm down ... *crying with tears"
  • wrote:
    Art D wrote: Posted 3 minutes ago HOW OLD ARE YOU... this is the usual questions i always hear.

    this is a common question for Chinese, no offensive.
    Just like, they will ask you: Have you got eaten?
    Just a greeting.

    Of course, for some stupid Chinese woman, they will say age is a secret and it is a western tradition, I don't know where it comes from.
  • wrote:
    Astaroth wrote:
    my responses are:
    not ever foreigner in China has the aspiration to learn another language.
    and i don't believe there is ANY law which states "we demand you speak our language"
    if that were true. 90% of the foreign companies wouldn't be here.

    Why don't they have the aspiration to learn Chinese?
    If Chinese is mandatory for working, then you have to learn, just the same situation in other countries, for example, in U.S., you have to speak English; you have to speak Japanese in Japan and Korean in Korea.

    There are laws in your country to define the legal language, which is the language is supposed to speak.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Angela, sorry no one warned you, but this is a dating site. So hurry up and give me your msn, qq and email so I can chat with you through mails, And am wiling to relocate if things work out Fine. looking forward to hear from you.

    -Love Thoughts ღღღღღღღღღ
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    On the other hand, how can you come to a foreign country and not learn the language? Seriously... when you talk with someone in America and he doesn't understand English, doesn't it piss you off? WTF are you doing here if you don't learn the language? I suppose if you're sent here by your company and never have to interact with locals, it's one thing, but if you moved here on your own volition for more than a couple years, it's just ignorant to not bother to learn the local language.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... my dear girl, I think I can beat that ... someone once added me, sent me his MSN, and then asked me on MSN why I had never tried foreign men, that had got me very puzzled for maybe a microsecond, and then I realise that for some reason this guy thought I am a woman ... I was laughing so hard that my naighbour might have called the police ... hahaha ...

    Like what you had said ... dont people read profile information anymore? If not, why did we bother to write them in the first place? Or maybe a lot of people lied about their info that no one believes anyone anymore ...
  • wrote:
    "how much of a pig he is."
    All man are PIG and want to find a female PIG, haha
  • wrote:
    Astaroth wrote: Posted 48 seconds ago because studying a language is fucking boring.
    female pig? many of those. go to wudaokou and stand at the subway ..youll find one or two every 30 seconds.

    Yes, it is boring to learn other language and new knowledge.
    I am not familiar with WUDAOKOU, I am sure you are not wide of the truth (这个用法正确吗?)
  • Roki
    Roki wrote:
    Dat's not only China !!!! Anywhere you go they will ask you the same question !!!
  • Roki
    Roki wrote:
    in LA they ask me the same question , especial :
    2. Do you have a boyfriend?
    6. Where do you live?
    9. Can you help me to study korea language?
  • wrote:
    If a guy can not speak English, he can only live in the Non-mainstream.

    The melting port of U.S. is also mainstream-orientated, so what's the mainstream? You can find by yourself.
  • wrote:
    'trust me women are worse than men are in so many ways."

    Oh, maybe someone will jump out and say:
    look at the old guy, another one was hurt by woman.


    我觉得你说的不离谱, 可以用英语这么说吗?
    "I am sure you are not wide of the truth."
  • wrote:
    "There is no mainstream of America."
    Of course there is, it is money and power.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I just can't understand not knowing the local language, especially written. My Chinese still sucks and I feel like an ignorant illiterate everywhere I go, but I see your point... you're white, it's more OK for you to not know Chinese than it is for me! hahaha

    As far as women... No one understands women, not even other women. Their brains are just little fishbowls as far as I can tell.

    Anyways, no more posting for me. Airport in 30 mins to go back to the melting-pot.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Mmmmm... melting pot. Fuck. I want fondue now!
  • wrote:
    Jon Gu,
    "My Chinese still sucks and I feel like an ignorant illiterate everywhere I go, but I see your point... you're white, it's more OK for you to not know Chinese than it is for me!"

    You are right, you can understand the difference and meaning of not knowing Chinese for you.
    'melting-pot"? China has been melting-pot for thousands of years, hehe
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I haven't really been asked these questions enough for it to become annoying yet...plus, I'm (brutally) honest with my opinions anyway, and I find 1) gets me in some trouble sometimes:

    1)Do you like Chinese food? Some, but I like Korean food *a lot* more.
    Actually, the Korean comparison for 2) gets me in trouble too...

    (And before any of the Chinese guys get all offended, I should say my life in China is 90% better than my life in Korea! It's just Korean barbecue is my favourite food and most of the women are adjusted to be more aesthetically pleasing!)

  • wrote:
    Roki wrote:

    LA they ask me the same question , especial :

    2. Do you have a boyfriend?: They want to make friends with you.

    6. Where do you live?: Oh, they are direct and want to date you.

    9. Can you help me to study korea language?; God, they want to move to Korea and want to follow you no matter where you go.

  • wrote:

    "It's just Korean barbecue is my favourite food and most of the women are adjusted to be more aesthetically pleasing!

    You travel a lot of places.

    But you may offend many Koreans, haha
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I offend many Koreans with worse things than this!

  • Kamilla Bjørnøy
    @YES Sir. You always got the right answer !!! anywhere u hang they will ask u that kind of questions!!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... Angela dear, dont make it too public ... I am heading to the airport now, chat with you when I get back online ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... just a bus trip to and from the airport, though it could still be high risk ... too late to buy insurance now ... see you when I get back ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    You mean that I actually take the space shuttle every morning? You should've just asked!
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    My least favourite question is "Do you like Chinese food?", but one I'll add to this list is "Can I be your friend?/Can we be friends?"

    A girl asked me this question once, and I told her, "You don't just ask to be someones friend. Friendships develop naturally over a period of time." She said, "OK, OK...I know. Soooo....are we friends now?"

    Good grief.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... Jeffrey ... your two questions:

    What is your opinion of the differences between cultures of USA and China?
    What sort of mechanics do you see in China which could not operate well in America?

    They are perhaps too difficult for most general public to even consider, leave alone asking or discussing ... I for one would not have thought of them, hahaha ...

    ... and I am still very curious about what is it that you cannot say it here ... if you'd like, please PM me ... hahahaha ...

    Peter B ... the word "friend" can sometimes be interpreted as "she knows someone important, hence she must be very smart or rich or beautiful or just special in some way" ... it is a Chinese thing ...
  • Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:
    and well i guess some questions re missing here:
    1-What re u up to?
    2-Have u had your.....?
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Why do I only get:
    -Where are you from? :P

    Then they start praising about how France is romantic... Poor them, they don't know how outdated this fact is.

    Also, y'all act like it's a bad thing. How do you want Chinese people to start a conversation with you for the first time? "HEY BRO HI NICE TO MEET YOU, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE POLITICAL SITUATION IN RUSSIA RIGHT NOW?" Srsly.

    In every country it's the same thing. Every people ask the same questions.

    If you're not happy with people interested in you and your country, then you should kindly reconsider about leaving this country.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    In defense of all of the homegrown interlocutors asking foreigners the same tired questions, the average American knows very little about China save for outdated stereotypes and throwaway pop culture references.

    And that includes folks with college degrees. When I went back to the States for a visit, I was shocked at the ignorance held even by those widely-considered to be worldly and sophisticated.

    Point being, people are the same everywhere.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... Angela dear, you could have said yes, scribbled a signature, and then gave him this number 13800138000 ... it is the recharge number of China Mobile ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... I have been asked many times if I am Tom Cruise, that's how I got rid of them ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    The 13800138000 number ... hahaha ... off to lunch now ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... dont turn them away like that, I am nearly sure that they just want to make friend, but again, whatever "friend" might mean to them ...

    What Aurélien and Pete DeMola said, brought back lots of memories ... when I first went to Australia in 1983, they would repeatedly ask me some questions, one of those that's still stuck in my head is "do you shave your legs" ... it was annoying the first few months, but then I developed a routine "yeah, I shave my armpits and chest too, do you want to touch", and you can bet that they are gone in a flash ... hahaha ...

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

    Hahahaha ... thanks, but really, no thanks ...
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    How tall are you?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.


WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc