Discussion » Music » Map your genre

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:
    Came across this the other day, really cool rock genres tube map, don't 100% agree with it but it's interesting to see the patterns when you circle your bands on the map

I'm half alternative half grunge, plus a bit of punk and harcore
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    lovely colors on the map :)
  • Simen Wangberg
    Kinda cool I guess...although since I am a pedant when it comes to these kinds of things, I will have to not-so-humbly disagree with a lot of the classifications. Staind being listed as a grunge band...shudder. If grunge was real, I would not classify Staind as being such.

And yeah, there is some preeeetty important stuff missing. For bands like Whitesnake and Poison to be regarded as "influential" while completely disregarding some of the more innovative/non-shitty rock bands of the last 20-odd years is kind of ridiculous.

You know what's genuinely awesome though? HEAVY METAL FLOW CHART.

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    Manowar falls under the category of real animals?

Dark Angel is found both under "dark" and "angels" but Megadeth is categorized under "Death" only, not under "Misspelling"? (I would add Rammstein to the Misspelling part cuz the location that the name is refering to is called Ramstein.) Also Edguy, their class teacher was named Eduard ...

Ragnarok is a term out of the book of revelation and not a nordic (Viking) term?

names such as Iron Maiden, Skid Row, Anthrax or Biohazard are rather social/political related than "Deadly things"

and also, great names such as Nightwish, Appocalyptica, Type O Negative, Cannible Corpse, Orbituary, Deicide, Massarcre/Massacra, Rage Against the Machine, Savatage, Dreath Theatre, Death Switch Engage, Celtic Frost, AC/DC, Entombed etc. are missing there. too many.

location related names: Saxon, Dancig, Children of Bodom, Rammstein, Mekong Delta, Tigers of Pantan, Capathian Forest, Siebenbürgen, Sodom, Nazareth, Walls of Jericho, Manilla Road, Amon Amarth (a mountain in Lord of the Rings), Opeth (Opet, the City of the Moon in "Sunbird" by Wilbur Smith), Salem, Hawaii (Marty Friedman's old band, 1st thrash/speed metal ever!)

political/millitary related names: Rage Against the Machine, System of a Down, Iron Maiden, Rise Against, Skid Row, Agnostic Front, Oppressor, Aggressor, Thy Majesty, Holocausto, Queen, Annihilator, Battery, Warpath, Warloard, Manowar, Raging Mob, Assassin, W.A.S.P. (White Angelo Saxon Protestants), Arch Enemy, Overkill, Emperor, Darkthrone, Nuclear Assault, Protector, Riot, Sacred Reich, Steel Attack

medical related names: Libido Airbag, Haemorrahge, Catamenia :), Anthrax, Suffocation, Desease, Dismembered, Autopsy, Dying Fetus, Asphyx, Catatonia, Pestilence

i guess there are still a lot to be added if one has time ... so far for today :P
  • Simen Wangberg
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Respectfully, Trent Reznor was a latecomer to industrial music.

Skinny Puppy, Ministry, and KMFDM were around at least five years before NIN.
  • Simen Wangberg
    Dat be tru also
  • Simen Wangberg
    The gloves are off, gentlemen/women. On one hand, yeah, the first NIN album didn't drop until the late '80s, awhile after Ministry, Killing Joke, Big Black, etc. had made some kind of name(s) for themselves. Buuuuut Trent pretty much single-handedly made the term "industrial" a household name - or at least, put it in more households than it was in before.

We're gonna really have to start splitting hairs now though, I lump all those cats in together anyway. All good, sonically abrasive fun.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong. I like NIN all right. Trent Reznor 's a damned good producer, a brilliant live performer, and he certainly made industrial music accessible. I'll stop far, far short of calling him a sell-out (the guy gave his fans a free album online). I just don't think it's right to credit him with starting it. It's more apt to say he put the finishing touches on it.

How about Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubauten? Sure, they both sound like absolute shit. But the genre got its name when those guys using pipes and machine noises for percussion samples.

I sure do wish Raymond Watts would quit shooting heroin long enough to release another Pig album or join the next KMFDM tour.
  • Marte Joahansen
  • Simen Wangberg
    MY gristle is throbbing HURHUR

Yeah, I guess if you really try to pin it down, those two bands were "industrial" way before Skinny Puppy, Ministry, etc. They still sound like ass though, as you noted.
  • / / / \ \ \
    / / / \ \ \ wrote:
    your tastes are all so esoteric!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.