Discussion » Nonsense » Westerners 西方人

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    What does this word mean to you? Caucasians and people from primarily Caucasian countries (although last I looked at a map Australia was pretty far east)? Or people from "developed" countries? Are all cultures from these countries so similar that it makes any sense to generalize them into one group? Or is Chinese culture so different that comparatively everyone who's not Chinese is a Westerner?

这个词语什么意思?是白种人和来自白种人为主的国民 (不过,我在地图上看澳大利亚比较偏东方)?或许是来自发达国家的人吧?来自这些国家的人都如此和彼此类似,能聚合到同一群人物吗?还是中国文化和所有别的文化有那么大区别,比起来不是中国人就是西方人?
    天哪,我发现我应该回去读书,同胞们看得懂就好不错! 
  • Børge Notkevich
    I think this is more inclusive of the Europeans, the Commonwealth countries like Australia, Americans and etc
  • Thomas Fjeldstad
    I think its just a saying and has less to do with the geographical location
  • Miriam Pedersen
    You know the word "occidental" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Indirectly, it means caucasian. Within "Western" societies, ethnic minorities and indigenous people are judged by essentially Western European values. Even in the Americas.

Though I guess it gets a little more complicated when you talk about African American culture, which historically has a very strong influence on white society.
  • Thomas Fjeldstad
    mmm i love fried chicken and grape soda
  • Albulena Imeri
    @Josh: word.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

West and north Europe, North America, maybe australia is included too

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

West and north Europe, North America, maybe australia is included too

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    How could you forget watermelons and big asses?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Wow it's actually a real thing, according to wikipedia. And with the original basis in Christian vs non-christian, apparently. I guess I'm not a westerner then.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    The answer's in your question I guess!!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    that's what they say haha!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.