Discussion » Nonsense » Your "BAD" Fang Dong stories

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    I would like to hear your stories about nightmares with your landlords.

I've got some that are really good!
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Never had a problem yet, last year I even had my landlord put more electricity than I would need for my whole stay and then the day I left tell me he was going to refund me the electricity that was still there (and that HE had paid)...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... not a very good one, see how it goes ...

We were renting at Legent between 06 and Dec 08, the previous Shanghai landlord sold to a new owner around early 08 (?) ... my wife changed job in mid 08, so we were thinking about moving, pending how much the (new) landlord would raise ...

He was greedy, so we decided to move, and according to the contract, we only needed to give minimum one month notice, but perhaps new to the market, he tried to cheat us off the deposit ... he even got the agent to call me to try to convince me that we did wrong ...

The way I said it, is that we are law-abiding people, and if I dont understand Chinese, please show me where it was written that he has the right to not return the money, otherwise, pay up ... well, he of course had to pay up ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Huh? Me? Hahahaha, thanks for the offer, I will keep that in mind ...

All things considered, we have been lucky over these 4 years, but I know what you mean ... and trust me, bad/greedy landlords exist in any city and any country ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'm interested in assembling my own crew of Dongbei toughs. How cheap is "cheap?"
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I've left almost every flat in which I've lived -- I think a dozen-or-so in the past 24 months -- leaving my landlords red-faced and on the brink of fulmination.

Why? There seems to be a trend in Beijing of landlords breaking contracts, asking tenants to move out simply because "they want their place back."

And in the event that I decide that I want to give them their place back, they somehow don't see eye to eye.

Note to landlords: Some of us don't go very easily!

Additional note: Currently looking for a new flat.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Pete and others ...

Just curious ... are you guys mainly looking for room to share? or a whole apartment/flat? and does it need to be right next to Wu Dao Kou?

I have certainly heard lots of bad stories, not only landlord related, but also flatmate (or sub-lease?) ... and like I had said, we have been lucky, but I am sure there are also a lot of good landlords out there ... ** hahaha, did I just make it sound like a broken-heart club? **

Dont mean to underestimate anyone, but bringing a Chinese friend along might help with the search and the negotiation ...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    at Zhaohong: Exactly. Sad but true.

at 叮噹叔叔: Just kidding about currently looking for a new place... just a bit of dry humor. But who knows what the future will bring? But thanks for the advice.
  • Lars Ramstad
    Lars Ramstad wrote:
    When I was living in a villiage, I once got kicked out by the landlord because he's tired of guys asking him if I have a boyfriend or not. I offered to give him more for the next rent but he refused. It seemed that I was the only girl living in that building among lots of peasant looking guys and the landlord lives on a different floor. Nobody wants to be treated like a pimp these days.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

ZhaoHong ... I had always been a very careless person myself, but that's because I grew up in places where most people play fair, at least according to the contract (law) ... but in China, if you dont spend the time to look after yourself, i.e. read through the contract, then you are likely to be the victim ... e.g. if I did not read the contract, I would not have got my deposit back in 2008 ...

If you cannot spend time to read it or you dont know how/what to look for, find a friend who can (a lawyer or accountant are usually very good at this), or ask a friend to recommend a reliable and responsible agent ...

And on the other end of the scale, there are also the bad tenants ... we have had two tenants so far, the second one is a Korean family and they are OK, a bit lazy on the garden front though, hahaha ... the first one missed about 4 or 5 months rent and he is now hiding somewhere in Queensland ...
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    I only had one experience to rent an apartment from a landlord and everything went well.

But one of my close friends hit the car of his landlord with a bat at night, because the landlord refused to return his deposit.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Nice played! Actually the fact that my company paid my apartments might have helped me ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... my only lawyer friend in Beijing seems to be more concerned about his weekend school, and I dont like him very much anyway, but I do have a trustworthy accountant that can look after these matters for me ... I suggested accountant because I have met a lot of people studied finance or economics, and I think that there are quite a few young and smart accountants in WLIB ... * oh, lightbulb time, but completely off-topic *

Pete and gang ... any chance you could add an optional field in profile for profession? It might help if we get more serious about legal or finance matter in the forum in the future ... I will add a thread for this ...

Per my experience with agents, my golden rule is "dont show your last card" until you sign ... i.e. always keep them guessing, or to an extent anyway ... hahaha ... looks like I have turned a tenant-agent thing into another relationship topic? I will try not to ...

In this kind of "game", quite often time is both your ally and enemy ... but if time is on your side, make sure you exhaust any agent's time and effort to find you an apartment (or room) that you like ... even if the first one they show you might look like a dream, try to suppress your emotion and make sure they show you a few more ... and always try to find something that you can criticise ...

Like you had said, and I agreed "They will never take any compromise because they don't worry that no one will come to rent their apartments" ... which is why you need to make them work for their commission ...
  • Rune
    Rune wrote:
    I think I win here... My landlord speaks English. I hate my apt though, but thats my own fault.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Huh? Hahahaha ... I am sure someone will give you a price, but what's your landlord story?
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    i had my landlord try to kick us out...but by law under contract they cannot, unless you have broken a law. he had the police come to the apartment to try to remove us, but when we refused because there was no reason for charges, the building company intervened and the police left. when we threatened to bring this to the embassy and into court he backed off and paid the utilities the next month :) still fairly hostile with the guy though
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am getting more and more curious (or interested) ... from the small collection of stories so far, it would seem to me that the landlord is usually not too far from the tenant, and that they can have free access into the apartments? Is this correct?

• Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    no, our asked us to move out after we had only been in 2 months...because of some family issue they wanted to come to beijing. but when we refused he tried to scare us off using the police, but the police here are a joke...so it didnt work.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Agent 中大恒基: cons, lied about identities and apartment ownership, didn't return deposit (I don't have time to waste suing them, and they're heavily mafia related from what I hear, so be prepared to use a weapon if you have any interaction with them)

And another agent who ran away and stole my money, who I won't name here because I don't want trouble when somebody introduces me to cheap labor for hand removal.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jeffrey, it does seem that a lot of people are in need of the service from your Dong-Bei brothers ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... like I had said, we had been lucky with landlords ... and Jeffrey, to answer your question of "why", my answer is "greed" ... and I will throw in "stereotype" as well ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another problem, is that the rental income Vs property value in China is not "balanced" ...

Back home, in a good year, the rental income of any property could get as high as 4.5% (of the properly value) p.a. ... in a bad year, 4.0% p.a. is still possible ...

Q: Had anyone got the figures for other countries?

However, when I told some of the local agents about 4%, they said that's an impossible figure ... for most rental contracts, the owner would be lucky to get 3% ... but if there is anyone here who can clarify that, please feel free to let me know ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.