Discussion » Travel » Americans, how do you feel about being charged wit

• Leela
    Leela wrote:
    My American friend applied for multiple entry to China and got charged for 4400 thai baht, more than 150 dollars ( single entry and multiple entry is the same price for Americans), while for Thai and non-Americans the fee is much cheaper (1000 thai baht only). He thinks it's not fair and here's what he said:

" 1/ i'd be shocked to hear that the other first world countries, like australia, canada, or the uk, didn't also charge high-risk countries like and including China more than people from other countries who have a better track record at obeying the terms and conditions of their visa. however, china singles out the USA (only) and charges us double to four times the "local" price. China just has a "thing" for the USA.

2/ the point remains the same: the USA makes it more difficult for Chinese to get visas not because it doesn't like Chinese and wants to teach them who is the master, but because it has traditionally been (and still is) Chinese people who lie and break our laws. They sneak through the US border controls in boats, overland through central america and canada, and by lying through their teeth in front of the passport control officer when they enter by plane, saying that they are not here to work illegally in our country when, in fact, they are. (Not all, obviously, but more than a few) When was the last time we read about a boatload full of Americans being arrested trying to enter China, or being deported by the hundreds working at jobs that local people could easily fill?

When Americans and Chinese are equal in this respect, then, and only then do I think China is justified in charging Americans when Chinese are charged. The way it stands now, however, China just acts like a big baby and a sore loser."

How do you feel about China charging Americans high visa fees?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Good timing.

I have to go pick up my visa tomorrow morning and am not looking forward to dropping 3000 RMB for a paltry five months.

I don't agree with your friend's extremely ignorant comments (they sound like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist).

This is strictly a issue of dry diplomatic bureaucratic bullshit -- not nefarious schemes.
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

Your friend gets his money raped and you come whine here?

Also:

>the point remains the same: the USA makes it more difficult for Chinese to get visas not because it doesn't like Chinese and wants to teach them who is the master, but because it has traditionally been (and still is) Chinese people who lie and break our laws.

Yeah, I guess your country's jails are full of Chinese people instead of mexican/italian/whatever gang members.

OP IS MAD.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... how you could have included Australia and Canada etc is beyond me ...

Pete ... I have not applied for ANY form of China visa since 2006, and I seldom ask my wife about this ... can you, or anyone, tell me which class is this "multiple entry" visa? Also, on the "visa" page, it might help if you could include the year in the list of events ...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Okay, we'll clean up that outdated info. Thanks for reminding us.

You can call our visa agent, Echo Wang, at 58156222-116 and ask her these questions directly.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    We will remove any comments, as per the Terms & Conditions for use of this website, that we deem to be sensitive and inappropriate.

Thanks for your understanding in advance. Should you require any additional explanation of our policies, feel free to contact me in private -- not in public.

All subsequent discussions on this subject will be removed.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    custom tax rate, import quota, export quota, cash exchange rate, all these figures are different towards different countries, why not visa price? OK, I cannot say too much, it just, girl, you still do not know how our world runs. If injustice is backed by a superpower for a really long time, then u just get used to it, injustice become justice in ur narrow mind. delete this if necessary anyway~
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    More than 150 dollars is not very high. Chinese need to pay more than 130 dollars for turism and business visa of US. Considering what we earn, it's far more expensive, I think.
  • Lars Ramstad
    Lars Ramstad wrote:
    Silent Americans, does an open mind mean when you are raped you beg more more more? The mighty never makes the right if the right is wrong! In the long term, your lie-repeating-million-times-will-turn-to-truth way of thinking will only collapse like the lehman brothers.
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Sometimes I wish some of these posts weren't true, that I was just getting trolled into oblivion by some master trolls.

Unfortunately, they're serious.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I give it 2/10.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... since I am not American, I can perhaps say something, right?

I had checked my wife's passport, and her visa stated "resident status", dont really know what that means ...

So I called her about this, and as always, she was too busy to explain it to me on the phone, but she did tell me that her company gets all the visas done via an agency, and there is no difference on price ... so my guess is that the agency covers the different visa cost in their fee or something ...

Noting that your friend is in Thailand ... which prompted me to think that whether this might be a reason ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I really like your saying of "lie-repeating-million-times-turn-to-truth"~ it's quite stupid, but pathetically it happens everywhere. I'm happy to see more and more Chinese begin autocriticising, and I'm happy that you point out an sth related to China. However, it seems that you are deep in the "million-times-turn-to-truth" status after reading your reasoning(not ur conclusion, hehe)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.