Discussion » Beijing Life » Being an English Teacher

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    Hi all.

Many of us do this for money and I guess it isn't so bad if you compare it to other work but, still it is as dry as washing clothes. wait. at least washing creates a fresh smell.

I personally am tired of doing it. I find there is not any challenge left. Other than trying to get my ass off WLIB to get to class!! hahaha

But honestly, I'd like to hear some stories about your teaching experiences here in Beijing and in China.

For myself, if it were not for having cool adult students I would probably have to sell rocks or my ass to live here. haha
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    Well... I as well tried the English teaching for a couple months, but quickly grew tired of it. Fortunately, I'm still in a position where I don't need a job to support myself, only for extra cash.

I think the problem with teaching English in China is... that you don't have to be a teacher. I find that for those people that like teaching, and know how to teac, actually enjoy the job and can last a long time doing it. However, there aren't many part time jobs for foreigners (that support the life we're used to), so we end up teaching... and hating it.

I think part time jobs are better when it's either manual labor, or something you enjoy... teaching isn't either.. so that's it for me.
  • Børge Notkevich
    go find a job in an international firm
  • Børge Notkevich
    it only depends what position ur working in.
    other wise start ur own business :)
  • Z
    Z wrote:
    You score students as a teacher? Just curiosity.
  • Børge Notkevich
    that is sad Darek!
  • Børge Notkevich
    good luck! remember to register your trademark!
  • Z
    Z wrote:
    What is sad?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jeffrey ... think of all the good that you can do, all the joy you can bring to those students ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jeffrey, nothing personal, but I think that might be the difference between a teaching job and a teaching career ... it took me a year to convince my mother to retire, and sometimes I would still get jealous that she knows more about her students than about me, but I have only myself to blame ... hahaha ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... only "one thing"? I cant wait to hear ...
  • Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:
    well maybe could sound silly but, the best part of my day is when am coming inside of the classroom and i see the cute smiles on my students faces, I really enjoy what i do, sharing knowledge with them and see howthey grow up day by day, i just love it, what can i say?! hehe
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Ivonne, you sound so similar to my mother, except that she ie three times your age and twice your size ...

Jeffrey ... dont be shy ... let's hear it ...
  • Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:
    oh well u re right about that, i ve been teaching for almost a year now

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.