Discussion » Beijing Life » Things that have shocked you about China!

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    There are times that I'd be taking a casual stroll or out and about and just see something that makes me say "DAMN!! WHATS UP WITH THAT"

After 7 years, I guess I am immune to most of these little things but, some occurrences just take hold and are etched in my pea brain forever.

1. Kids shitting/pissing in the street with the help of their mom/dad.
    This is so disgusting and unhealthy.
    2. 3 Wheeled bikes with enough recyclables that it reaches 5 meters high
    3. The piles of bikes at Wudaokou
    4. Watching a man slit the throat of a goat and skin it right here on the street. 1 hour later selling yang rou chuanr.
    5. Having some stranger come up to me and hand me a piece of paper saying "can you fix this english for me?"
    6. Seeing someone get hit by a car and how many bystanders will just come over to watch the show.
    7. Spring sand storms making the sky yellow
    8. How many chinese store owners try their best to 1 kuai up us foreigners on just about anything they can.
    9. 65 Year foreign men with 20 year old hotties. Thats wrong!
    10. The housing price in Beijing
    11. The amount of unhappy faces I see on the subway daily
    12. Quantity of corrupted people here.
    13. People standing in the middle of the road playing with their phones.
    14. People who try to cross 2,3,4 ring roads
    15. How heavy the competition is here for jobs/schools.
    16. Salaries
    17. Exploitation
    18. BBS- little barber shops aka hookers workshops
    19. Amount of racism
    20. That when I leave this place on vacation, I cannot wait to come back!!!

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    21. a bike and a bus on the 3rd ring but on the wrong side
    22. driving
    23. how quickly you get asked how much is your income
    24. the electric cables in Dali
    25. the 慢慢来 belief which too often sounds like "I'm not going to do anything, it's going to improve by itself" ... still not used to that one, especially when it comes from my boss
    26. how 马上 can vary from 10 minutes to 7 hours
    27. yes, there is a queue, yes I am in it, and no it's not ok if you just cut in front of me to get to the counter
    28. even though the guy on the phone is far from you, you don't need to shout over the phone for him to hear you, it actually makes the phone quality get worse.

that's all for today
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

2. It's more a Chinese acrobatic thing ...

5. I once had someone online asking me to translate 20 page paper into English ... when I asked him (or her?) to do it first and then I will check and correct, that person became upset ...

9 and 11 and 12 are correlated ...

13 A lot of people text and walk at the same time, and when they ran into you, they expected you to apologise ...

26 ... hahahaha ... my wife does that to me all the time ...

27 ... most of these people are usually from the 1st or 2nd tier cities ...
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    A white guy wearing a cartoon underwear walking on the street......
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    Plus :in summer
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... maybe he was jogging ... a similar case, we went to Silk Street yesterday, and witnessed a middle-age Chinese guy checking out some silk boxers ... ... ... with Garfield printed on them ...
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    But i know which is underwear or a shorts
  • Tonje Oliversen
    29. going back where I lived before leaving china
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    I always see my white fellows in a relationship with very very ugly Chinese girls. I really cannot understand why. It's really strange to me
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    Jeffrey come on man, beauty goes with charm. It's always nice to wake up early in the morning and see a smiling and beautiful face. It makes u always calm down and feel happy after u argued with ur boss or a customer when u go back home and see a beautiful face welcoming you hehehe
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    Congrats u got a gf man... u also fallin for Chinese girls huh?
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    jeffrey so stereotypical...i dont think its a matter of where the person is from (some culture clash maybe), its more about who the person is.

30. more than two people on a bicycle (I've seen up to 5)
  • Yasir A.J
    Yasir A.J wrote:
    12. Quantity of corrupted people here.
    13. People standing in the middle of the road playing with their phones

and 13 i HATE it..somtimes in crowded places i walk and then some1 infront of me just stops suddenly then when i hit him he start to yell WTF is this and when some1 just blocks the entrance way daaaamn i hate it ..ty
  • A
    A wrote:
    people walking in pajamas & slippers everywhere down the street. doesnt matter which season tho~

traffic jams

26. how 马上 can vary from 10 minutes to 7 hours - too bad we cant teleport
  • Nixul
    Nixul wrote:
    Aylisan~ wanted to say the same thing haha" people walking in pajamas & slippers everywhere down the street. doesnt matter which season tho~"
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... but the "jarmies" could be a fashion statement ... right? By the way, wearing "jarmies" to buy newspaper or breakfast is also common in Hong Kong ...

Jeffrey ... try wearing high-heels when climbing the stairs in the middle of nowhere in Yunnan ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Well I tried to enter a club in Shanghai in pajamas and sleepers, but the bouncer did not get that it was the latest fashion trend and that he therefore had to let us in...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Saibo, wrong time, wrong place ... by the way, just talked Rita, she might not make it this Friday ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am sure there are people wearing high heels at Great Wall, but it had been a long time since I visited the Wall anyway ... and oh, those yakky 6-inch "silk" socks, dont see anyone mentioning those?

No, I was actually referring to the recent trip in Yunnan ...
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    The wiring in my old apartment.

• Joachim Bøhn
    Joachim Bøhn wrote:
    Well, there are so many things that you may not like to see here in China. It is common as people usually don't like ugly things, not only you, as foreigners! But we need to understand why these happened, and once you see the reasons behind you may feel not so bad at least. Remember that there are 700milllions farmers in China, and not so long before they were still living in extreamly poor conditions. They look dirty, without good education, nobody had told them before about social manners... but in their heart, they are nice, passionate to life, they love, they laugh, cry, dream, as much as you do. Be patient, all those ugly things will be changed soon. I have seen many foreigners here fighting to get a taxi with locals, crossing street when it is still red light... Hope these ugly things are not contagious.
  • Hans Christian Eriksson
    1. karttttt tooooo spitting sound, the most disgusting thing
    2. staring at people
    3. saying "xia si wo le'= frightened to death , when sometimes they bump into a black man
    i can't tell all,
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Nina, as you said, there are 700 million to be educated, and I am afraid that your "soon" will still be a long way off ... my estimate is maybe a few decades ...

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    "(It would take) 300 years of colonialism. In 100 years of colonialism, Hong Kong has changed to what we see today. With China being so big, of course it would take 300 years of colonialism for it to be able to change to how Hong Kong is today. I have my doubts as to whether 300 years would be enough."

Can anyone tell me who said it? Just kidding, don't really say it or the board will be harmonized. Sure hit the nail on the head though.
  • wrote:

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Here's another shocking thing about China:

- the sheer number of ignorant-looking, loutish foreigners* often seen ambling through the streets of Sanlitun in the late hours. Who are they? Where do they come from? How do they support themselves?

*Have you ever looked at someone and said to yourself, "This looks like a person of low quality and little education?" That's the type of foreigner of whom I am referring: too grimy to be tourists, too unhinged to be diplomats, too old to be students and too dumb to be teachers. Maybe they're journalists.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Hi Sun,
    Where were you when I posted my thread on nice things about China? That was totally for your benefit!
    Do you have to jump to defending China every time someone says something critical of it? There are shitty things about China and good things about it, just like everywhere else. It is an indisputable fact that China has a lot of manner-less, unhygienic, uneducated peasants roaming around the cities. That's not a criticism, it's just the way it is. No one can blame them; we know how far China has come in its 60 years of history. (Actually, I will admit here that I will probably never comprehend what these people have been through in their lifetimes.) People and cultures take time to develop, and China has come amazingly far in its short history. I do not doubt that in 50 years Chinese society will be right on par with developed countries that have been around for hundreds of years.
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    ...."peasants", "developed countries that have been around for hundreds of year": said the one idiot to the other.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Mo Ming, I think you have not counted those "manner-less, well dressed, perhaps-some-education, flithy rich peasants" ...

One thing that is interesting, is that many people (in this forum anyway) only consider the last 60 or 61 years, but not the thousands before that ... I have always thought that manners, education, culture etc, are inherited over years, generations, even centuries, or maybe I thought wrong?

• Daniel Westerberg
    About shitting on the streets, I acctually have seen a kid like 16 or 17 dropping his pants on the side of the road and taking a shit (in Beijing, not some far off into the woods village).. and like.. wtf.. DON'T DO THAT!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... one other thing I also noticed for a long time ...

Q: Do they teach anything about how to operate elevators (or lifts) in school these days?

I have often noticed that people dont press the "open door" button, instead, when the doors slammed shut on someone, they attempted to reach out their hands hoping that the the doors will remain opened ... though that's a very brave act, but wouldn't it be much simpler (and safer) to press the damn button?

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    DD, I stick my hand out too, at least if I'm outside the elevator and there's no button :-p

I have to disagree with you about social manners and culture being inherited over centuries though. I think the last 60 years are most relevant because of the whole government instituted period when . Students were told to stop respecting elders and teachers, and were also taught to stop being polite to others, etc. Sometimes they beat teachers to death. (at least, this is what my hegemonic imperialist books tell me. I was not here then, so I can't know for sure.)
    I don't know if in that period they also told people to spit on mall floors and shit on the street back then, but I wouldn't doubt it if you told me they did.
    Spitting might just be because all the poison in the air causes lung congestion, actually. I guess that's a result of the last 60 years too though.

Seriously though, why do you think Han people in Taiwan don't throw garbage on the ground, know how to wait in a queue, and don't have their children pee in mall garbage cans? They have the same cultural background historically as the mainland Chinese, but they weren't exposed to the last 60 years here.

And you're right, I totally forgot to consider the filthy rich "peasants", who are really something to be ashamed of.
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    @SUN, 你的留言俺很赞同,你后文说的那些人我只能想到一个词来相容,伪善,不,应该是无耻,不不,应该是装逼,不不不,应该是,,,想不出来了。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I see what you mean, somehow I have got this crazy idea stuck in my mind because I have often heard the phrase "中国乃礼仪之邦" from TV, the true evil effect of too much television ...

And I am sorry to tell you that I was not anywhere within the territory of the mainland then, so I have nothing to add ... it must have been awful though?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

As for your mention about Taiwan, I guess it all comes down to education ... but not what they learnt from school, instead what their parents teach them ... what do you think?
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I really don't know how education works in Taiwan, so I can't add too much. In Mainland it seems to me that people are brainwashed in school, and I don't feel like the parents add anything contrary - being only concerned about test scores. I could be wrong here.
    People I met in Taiwan seemed to be able to think and form their own opinions, rather than just regurgitate the government's propaganda. Whether that's a result of better parenting or better public education systems, I can't comment.
    The parents (or grandparents now) were still exposed to the same historic culture as mainlanders though, so I still maintain that the present situation in the mainland is a result of the last 60 years.
  • Patrick Coleman
    first thing that shocked me was cough and spitting in the office bin! DISGUSTING!! I pity the ayi who cleans the bin every morning. next was the sipping of soup on a bowl.. also DISGUSTING.. but now im used to it and i do drink the soup an the bowl now a days. then after that all seems normal now.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Q: Had anyone heard of, or noticed, those "clipping" noise in public, esp on the bus? ... and when you turned around, you will either see:

1. people clipping their finger nails ...

2. people biting on those seeds thingie, leaving the shell on the ground ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... complain, and then do nothing about it, instead they shy away from the problems ...
  • Krister Thonerud
    I read an article in a relatively recent edition of the Economist about gendercide. It's a problem everywhere, preferring males that is, but Asian countries seem to have slightly more skewed numbers. According to the article the plight for baby girls is still quite severe in some places in China. The article reported a ratio of about 108 males to 100 females. What I found most astonishing was the statistics about 2nd and 3rd births. In China if a 3rd child is born to a family the male:female gender ratio is nearly 200:100.

This makes me think about the other thing about China that has repeatedly shocked me since I've been here (2.5 years now) and that is the lack of foresight in many, but certainly not all, policies of China and Chinese businesses.
  • Simon Frederic
    -food - 臭豆腐for exemple  and all the conspiracy theories about it.
    -Global robbery : like forcing people to donate.
    -people stopping their cars on the fourth ring to make a call
    -local gov -
    -a certain american guy who wrote a book to bring more people getting drunk in wudaokou, grabbing asses of 16 y old girl and fighting with taxi drivers
    -the fact that you can get a 3000 yuan fine from dwlding p orn or send sex oriented messages

and all the rest
  • Simon Frederic
    叮噹叔叔 > i usually try to close the lift by pressing on the shutting door button as fast as i can when i dash in first. it makes it more challenging -- hehe
    beside there is almost one person farting in the lift every month where i work--
  • wrote:
    Actually, the most thing shocked you is that the country still works well and did not fall apart, hehe
  • Ikevenson
    Ikevenson wrote:
    1. HOW MANY IGNORANT under-educated, low-intelligent, yet, english speaking douchebags are there to DEFEND China off TOTALLY unnecessary shit like SUN here

SO FU*King hopeless
  • Ikevenson
    Ikevenson wrote:
    Alright I have to Add one:

HOW MANY Foreigners that totally hate and despite this place, yet still living here and have NO plan whatsoever to leave! THAT REALLY shocks me! they whine everyday about how awful China/Beijing is, yet they are still here....!!
  • wrote:

Are you conducting action art?

I just remind you not to distort what I said.
  • Ikevenson
    Ikevenson wrote:
    Sun, try to understand this in English:
    I Dont Give a Shit About You. go figure that out. :)
  • wrote:

I can not understand English well enough.
    But just remember that I do not care about you, really.
    I only respect those persons who are genuine, helpful and right-minded.

If you are one of "HOW MANY Foreigners that totally hate and despite this place, yet still living here and have NO plan whatsoever to leave! THAT REALLY shocks me! they whine everyday about how awful China/Beijing is, yet they are still here....!!", i have to say, it is a pity.

By the way, what's your color?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Sun ... I should look forward seeing you caged with anyone (male or female, young and old) whom you had crossed path with in the forum ...

• Ikevenson
    Ikevenson wrote:
    my color is red, well, my girlfriend likes me in Blue and Brown, and I also like Black, but I would say my color is Red, yes, red indeed..specially with a turtle neck...damn I look hot in that...

you? whats your color?
  • Ikevenson
    Ikevenson wrote:
    he simon frederic, "-a certain american guy who wrote a book to bring more people getting drunk in wudaokou, grabbing asses of 16 y old girl and fighting with taxi drivers"
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    This is so fuckin' ridiciculous. People with shit all over their home have the audacity to come insult others' house in their own backyard. Go back to your countries, sort out all it's shit then maybe you can come back and play Mr. and Mrs. Righteous!
  • wrote:
    Vincent Van Wyk,

Good comment.
    Therefore, I never show any polite to those guys whom you mentioned in your comments.
    It is a great comment.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Rude foreign people who act as if they are a gift to China

Oh I saw 6 people on a motorcycle in Hainan and the girl was holding the baby in one arm hehe. I understand that is the only transportation for the family, but it just seemed a little dangerous.

How many rich the last 20 years has produced. This is good, but just a little scary for the rest of the world.

• Simon Frederic
    Russel > Check this
    I have seen him and his name card in wudaokou - rather badly written and pompous if you ask me. I did my best not to dig a hole and bury him under.
    He is the moise of the white trash in beijing
    all things considered
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Kodi, one needs to be very good at acrobat in order to balance on a bicycle in China ... I have seen bicycle on the street carrying furnitures and appliances ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... also just read from the newspaper this morning ... somewhere in Yangzhou the local government just sold a big lot of land for development, the very interesting thing is that this area has a few apartment blocks that had only been completed quire recently ... so a lot of these guys might get little compensation for their own home, and these are not your normal 30+ years houses ... hahahaha .. only happens in China ...
  • Troy Mo
    Troy Mo wrote:
    ok here are a couple from me:

1. I was in IKEA and a woman was having her little girl pee on the floor pants down in in front of the IKEA check out woman. The best part, it was right across from the bathroom. Literally 3 meters away.

2. The fact that every 40+ year old ayi in this country will push to get off any form of transportation as quickly as possible only to stop once she gets out the door and block everyone behind her so she can stare into nowhere.

3. Two taxi drivers in Shanghai hitting each other with crobars and then walking away after taking about three shots each

4. An 80 year old woman get hit by a car, fly up in the air, bounce off the side, get up and then kick the car and walk off

5. Two people having sex in a park in broad daylight

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I did not see this mentioned above :)

... but one thing that I found very odd is two men holding hands, but they are not even gay ... bonding of the brothers?
  • Simen Stensvoll
    shocked everyday
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Shocked by the thread itself.
  • Jojo G
    Jojo G wrote:
    ....shocked on....
    .....people yawning without covering their mouth in public..
    .......prickling their nose even in front of alot of people..
    .........spitting even inside a bus......
    .............some teens arguing to some oldies...
    ....................too much pda's......
    .......................taxi drivers sudden loss of memory....
  • xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx wrote:
    4. Watching a man slit the throat of a goat and skin it right here on the street. 1 hour later selling yang rou chuanr.
    ewww...thats gross..

65 Year foreign men with 20 year old hotties. Thats wrong!
    hehe, i saw 2 couples yesterday in a restaurant, apparently they were doubledating, the girls; extremely gorgeous, the dudes : SEE number 4....lol
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    1) disregard for logic (more often than not logic can be useful for solving problems)

2) lack of initiative to think for oneself......

3) disinterest in things that are not directly related to every day life or should I say, "The absence of the ability to think of creative ways to link seemingly unrelated ideas."

I have met many brilliant people here and many of them are amazing, but it shocks me how they allow themselves to be steered by what their mentors tell them especially when they have actually surpassed the expertise of their mentors. I think they should be respected and their ideas should be considered, however their ideas should not hold rule over fresh new ideas that their protege comes up with. There are many ways to do one thing. If one thinks that their idea is the best they will undoubtedly be proven wrong...... Give them face, but do things your way and have your own failures and learn from them. This is how true learning takes place....

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Oh yeah, My friend Adam was on motorcycle taxi in Hainan and got into an accident. The driver and the driver of the car both fled the scene of the accident and left him to die in the street. That was shocking! Or was it? I guess neither of them wanted to stay behind to help or explain what happened to the police.
  • Nadia
    Nadia wrote:
    during the rain ALL taxis disappear..... but in non-rainy day there r looots of them.... thats so unfair :(
  • 巴尔克
    巴尔克 wrote:
    the grls with beautiful faces..but when they open their mouth and random teeth..or very stinky...eeeeeee
  • Espen Danielsen
    1. The grim spitting thing that chinese people do is so ridiculous...and the way the cleaners wake up every morning to mop the pavements outside only for someone to spit on it three minutes later..

2. The way the motobikes and tuc tucs insist on driving on the footbridge and then endlessly honk at you to get out of their way....So annoying..

3. the txt wakling and then bumping into you and expecting you to apologise..(ridiculous)

4. i get so many chinese people pinching me or walking past and rubbing themselves on me just to see if my skin colour will rubb off on them...(ignorance)

5. their extreme no sence of personal space..

6. They way they RUN for seats on the train is hilarious..

7. The way they never let people off the train first before getting on it..they always just wana shove past one another...

8. They constantly touch my hair..its so strange..
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    1. Groups of chinese brats beating up foreigners at chinese clubs for -looking- at their girlfriends.

2. Grumpy old taxi drivers refusing to drive me places because they think I can walk. (Maybe I had a bad knee or didnt know where it was?...)

3. Chinese grown up people sneaking in line like it was the last piece of bread in Bijing on sale. (those days are over!)

4. People (specially taxi drivers) yelling at you like you were standing 100 meters away when they in reality are just 20 cm away from you.

5. How grumpy some people get when you aks them to do something that is actually their job.

6. How much power people who have a lot of money and government connections actually have. It's scary to know that people can actually put you in jail for no reason if you are threatening the wrong guys's business.

7. It's close to impossible to get good, healthy bread in Beijing for a decent price. It's loaf only!
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    Big B: Your number 4 and 8 is so bad, hahah! I guess they just find it fascinating in a way... :-)
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    That when I leave this place on vacation, I cannot wait to come back!!!

SO TRUE..... OH my Lady GAGA,I miss BJ so badly.....
  • Espen Danielsen
    lol Kent...Its worse in the gym ladies room...

Your number 2..Feichang True...
    Ohh how the taxi driver says he knows your destination and then reaches half way and starts asking you for directions....(Its like are you kidding?)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    People have bad grills in every country. You should see some of the people I knew in NY.

Ever been on a long train trip without a seat? It sucks. I'm proud to say that I've pushed, kicked and manhandled people -- even the elderly -- to land a decent train seat. To hell with civility.

And your #4 reminds me of folks hunting and killing albinos in Tanzania to use their body parts as good luck charms.

Your #2 doesn't really make any sense. You see, the real reason that taxi drivers are refusing you because drivers here in Beijing are notorious for their dislike of Norwegians, sniffing them out from a mile away. Didn't you know that? Gosh. Try getting a good luck charm or something to improve your chances of landing a decent driver.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another to the list ... spent lots of time, money and effort to build the Olympic park, the Nest and the Cube, and it is now, well, just a park ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Karoline Hurlen Melstveit
    Why care so much, you just living and working here, stay out of troubles, pal.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.