Discussion » Beijing Life » How to solve the traffic problem in beijing

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    There are many viable solutions. More subways seems to be helping but, then us poor folk get more and more "tuna fished".

I think the best solution is that we pour sugar into the gas tanks of all cars.

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I'm kind of with you Jeffrey. Beijing public transport is great, but there's so many cars on the roads that the buses are unreasonably slow. There's no way to cram more people onto the subways during rush hours.

I think that all roads should have a single lane for private cars, and all other lanes should be public-transport only. Then the transit bureau can add more bus lines too, and everyone will benefit. The guys who now drive an hour to work because they want their car-owner status will take the bus in 45 minutes, or take 3 hours to drive. Cleaner air and better transport for everyone.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The bus lanes in many places do have time zone limit, except that no one obeys the "law", which might be why the buses are slow, so if they can get some patrol on the road, issuing tickets instead of just warning them, it might help ... however ...

I like Ming's idea, and the answer to Jeffrey is, sadly, "no, they wont follow or obey the rule", because ...

The police and patrol are far, far too "weak"in terms of authority to do anything ...

They did a few things before and during the Olympics games, and if they can be persistent, then it might be OK for most concerned ...

Basically, just make it more difficult (not just expensive by tax and tickets) to drive private vehicles on most of he busy roads and that should be fine ...

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Urban planning1: break the wall of too big "blocks", open up small lanes
    Urban planning2: stop planning kinds of "functional districts" across this already too vast city
    Urban construction: more tubes
    Municipal admin: heavier fines and be indifference strict
    Sense of the people1: obey the rule @#$%##$#@% (long term run)
    Sense of the people2: owning a car/good car is nothing to show off (long term run)
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I really want to reduce private cars as much as possible. I can respect that people who bought houses outside the 6th ring road really do need cars since there's less public transit out there, but I would like to see mandatory park and ride once they got to the 5th ring road. If you really have a good reason to drive into the city, then you should have to pay, just like in London.
    I'm not sure how to handle the people who live inside the city and want to drive out on the weekends though.
    Maybe tool gates on all the important infrastructure roads would be a good idea. Using IC cards of course so as not to cause traffic problems. Every time you want to drive onto 2nd ring, you're 20 RMB is automatically deducted.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    2 more: 1) raise parking fee; 2) improve environment of public transportation. sometimes I know it's faster to take metro, but I still wanna drive, esp. in summer time...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.