Man TianFei wrote:
    真是又爱又恨,不过老外也觉得中文很难学,哈哈,
  • Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    只是个工具。

沟通的工具而已。
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    English isn't as pretty as French and isn't as logical as German, but for some reason people will pay a lot of money to learn it just because it was the language spoken by a clan of pale-skinned snaggle-toothed imperialists who happened to have controlled most of the world a century ago.

As long as people are dumb enough to learn it, I'll be dumb enough to teach it.
  • Jochen
    Jochen wrote:
    什么时候汉语能成为世界语言。我期待那一天
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    You mean Chinese isn't already a world language?
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I imagine Fucking English would be something like the drunk girl that no-one wants to take home at the end of the night: hard to get rid of, has way too many stories and uses way too many incomprehensible words but everyone has practiced with her at least once.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... where I came from, some people did it with sheeps (oh, sorry, that is New Zealand, we did it with kangaroos and koalas) ... how does one do it then with a language?

In 06, I once had the pleasure to attend an in-house English class after work, I think the mob called themselves Modern English, a blong guy with a really hot Chinese girl with high heels and mini skirt...think her name was Candy?

Anyway, I had mixed emotions when I read the course material (more so when I stole glances at Candy) ... they actually taught 4 or 5 different ways to greet, and if someone should use one of them, then how to reply or "greet back" ... and that was the first 90-min session ...

Anyway, if that class was any indication of what some people are in fact paying up to 5 figures in RMB to learn at Wall Street or EF etc ... well, hell, it looks like some people had a wild passionate 3-some or major orgies with the English language ...

oh, and did I mention Candy?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I think folks here are just blowing off some steam, Peter. But thanks for the scientific explanation.

I say "fuck Cantonese" and other SE Asian languages. I don't like them. They all sound like a flock of pigeons with Down Syndrome arguing a pigsty.

Who else can we offend today?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Pete, what's wrong with Cantonese? It's more fun than Madarin for sure :)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    It just doesn't take with me. Too squawk-y.

But if makes you feel any better, there are many dialects spoken in my country that I also find disagreeable -- including "redneck," "Ebonics" and "Sarah Palin."
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    Sarah Palin?....................
  • Simen Stensvoll
    i love English
    unfortunately,i can't handle it
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I think we can all do away with any language. I do not think there is any language better than another. I hate all, especially when i have to talk to a lady and she pretends not to understand me. I prefer sigh language. I simply touch on what i want from a lady. SO easy. I can not imagine speaking a language like French pronouncing words through my nose as if i have flu. Neither do i like English though i am a native and studied the same. All in all, i hate languages.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

COOL ... dude, "sigh language"? Is that the one girls often "speak" when they become passinate? Yeah, gotta love that one ...

You also said " ... I simply touch on what i want ... ", now you made women sounds like a microwave or an iPhone, and dont we all wish that we can install applications on women like we do with an iPhone ... hahaha ...

I prefer "body language", it is more subtle and often keeps one guessing ... a certain look can mean a "no", or maybe a "yes", hahaha ...

• Simen Stensvoll
    yeah,i prefer body language
    people always speak in a quite indirect way,u have to work hard to get what they really saying
    but the touch is always so direct,u can figure out evrything immediately
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hahhahaa, so in one way or another you two agree with me that spoken languages are useless anyway. Hahhahaha. Body language includes touching, not so?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... no touchy touchy ...

Yes, I agree ... and whether it be a ice-cold business environment or a intimite situation, body language beats spoken language hands down ... words are meant to be spoken, but "body language" however ... hahahaha ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    And in any case, the body can know perfectly well which part of the other it blends with.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... enough is enough, now go spend more time with your new friend :)
  • Simen Stensvoll
    "body language" and "sign language" are quite two different ideas in my dictionary
    the latter doesn't include touching,right?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    You tie your hands i assume?
  • Simen Stensvoll
    well,u turning into another point,SM?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am sure you can wiki it, or someone will definitely do it for you ... as far as I am concerned, the "sign language" is a formal suite of "language" using body gesture (hands, arms, eyes, facial expression etc), but I cannot be 100% sure if it includes any touching ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    But does body language include touching?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... it depends on the "content" of the language, sometimes, subtleness has more seductive power than actual touching ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

... and we are so completely and officially off topic now :)
  • Simen Stensvoll
    touching urself or the person ur talking to?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Minimy, hush hush, my wife might be reading this ...
  • Simen Stensvoll
    .....sorry 叮噹叔叔
    i was just not sure about the meaning of "touch"
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Are we off topic? Anyway, it is we are just the three here. But all the same, we are talking about language. The fact that we all do not agree with the spoken language, we can still weave this topic to body, sign and touch language. If i use my tongue then Minnimy, is that toughing?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... COOL ... do this via PM, now go away ...
  • Simen Stensvoll
    no
    it might be licking
    but not touching anymore
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... thank you to my two teaching assistants for demonstrating the greatness of languages ... now you two, go get a cheap motel room ...

class dismissed ...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahhahahhahaa, The class monitress has heard. I will follow her. Do you mean there is something more to getting in a motel? I see small dots at the end of your sentence!!!!
  • Simen Stensvoll
    so that is why i require rich soulmate in other thread
    no cheap motel room ,thanks;)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Minnimy
    Do you know how much fun it is in the un usual places? The same place gets you bored, never creative is posture and weighs you down. But imagine a rough surface full of stones pinching the back. The surface forces you to change posture every now and them. The word "MOTEL" can be used symbolically to mean any other good place. Not so bro?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... COOL ... the class is dismissed, the lady had already indictaed that she does not like cheap motel room, so go get her a 5-star hotel room ... a few people on WLIB actually works at big 5-star hotel, I am sure you can get a good discount if you are planning for long-term use :)

Now, you two, go get some lunch, or any touching or licking ... go go go ...

• Simen Stensvoll
    i didn't mean the same 5-star hotel room all the time;)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Minnimy
    ?
  • Simen Stensvoll
    F*** English
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahhahaaaaaaa, you amaze me much.
  • 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:
    Everyone might as well get used to English, because at this point it's too late to reverse its dominance. It doesn't matter if English deserves its place in the sun or not, too many people have invested too much in learning it, so the trend will never change.

English as a "global language" is now locked into a self-perpetuating cycle. It's like the QWERTY keyboard -- even if it's not the best choice, even if everyone would prefer a different option, we as a global society will never be able to change it because it's an irreversible process once it starts.

I predict one day China will be the most powerful, most dominant, most important country in the world. However, English will still remain the language of global communication. Not because it's better than Chinese, but because its already in place and it would be way too expensive and time-consuming to replace it with something else.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Dvorak FTW. I'd switch if it weren't for the fact that control-C and control-V wouldn't be in the right position anymore. And yes, I know that Apple OS X fixes this but Windows doesn't.
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    搂住万岁!

支持!
  • kö
    wrote:
    跪求中文版····then i really wanna say fuck``````everthing!!!!
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    MLGBD
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    我要吐了。
  • Annie Ann
    Annie Ann wrote:
    well if you don't like english, you can always learn Spanish. It's more fun.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Spanish, i am your first student.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    si, major decir en espanol....Joder!
  • Martin Reppe
    Martin Reppe wrote:
    guys
    do
    u
    think
    english
    is
    difficult
    i
    dont
    think
    so
    how
    about
    putonghua
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Yuki
    Was that Spanish? If so, i am out the class. Putonghua, well, you are putting salt to a wound. "BODY LANGUAGE" full stop.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    yep, spanish. but a typo...Mejor decir...
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    ummmmmm............english..........i need a favor!......................well i do not even get a chance to speak in english..............so i need a company
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Don't blame the English for spreading English. Hollywood has done a much better job doing that.
  • Saina
    Saina wrote:
    Daniel: Good comparison, but why only drunk girl?! U sexist!

Ethan: "I predict one day China will be the most powerful, most dominant, most important country in the world. " ---- In the very recent survey made by 新周刊only 10.3% of Chinese respondents agree with u.

One needs to really have to live on English for once to like it....
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Astaroth, if you form another band, you should call it "你好 & the Fuck Englishes."
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Haaaahahahaha!! That's so funny Pete.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Astaroth, after you find a new drummer for your new band, you should give him the stage name "你好 & Fuck English."
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Let's all just switch over to Chinese Pidgin English from now on on this forum. We can do! My think very easy! Tomorrow my go supermarket buy food.
  • Anine Hagen
    Anine Hagen wrote:
    FUCK ENGLISH for it being the language of people who arrogantly think everyone should know and some of whom don't make any effort of even getting the idea of another culture... perception of Western culture itself is suffering by everyone trying to express their ideas in this limited language with its simple connotations. In the end it's a waste of time complaining about English in English!

and I promise to be nice, hah :)
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    I have an idea. Let's all speak/write in our native languages!! Let's see how well we communicate then.

Julle almal is n klomp moffies!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Good idea!

Va'a fare in culo.
  • Anine Hagen
    Anine Hagen wrote:
    Ja, Mann. Wir sollten alle mehr Deutsch sprechen...
  • Erik Aleksander Aas
    Zum Gluck spreche ich auch Deutsch! (Umlaut??)
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    ahhaah

auf jedemfall, das moderne Englisch ist keine richtige Sprache, denn ein grosser teil kommt aus dem deutschen und die andere Hälfte aus dem Französischen und dem Latein...

• Peter S 李贝勒
    Astaroth,
    i know a french metal drummer... interested?
    and about the languages
    english is the language of rock n roll, the best language for literature and poems is the french, latin and greek for philosophy, chinese to be confused.
    what do u think guys?
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    I AGREE WITH THE LAST, but new metal sounds equally cool both in spanish and mongolian...
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    hahahhahaa Chinese what?
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Isn't it nice to enjoy everyones language. German lost by one vote to English as the national language 200 years ago in USA...hard to imagine speaking the language of my forefathers.

No sense in bashing a language..shows pettiness...accept the world you live in and make it better. Even though I speak American English, a little Chinese, and a little Spanish, I am always very appreciate and greatly admire the linquistically gifted people who have mastered multiple languages. Xie xie.
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    Did u read Bryson's book?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    We should give up writing in English here and everyone writes in the mother tongue. It will be easy for us to know which language is better. At the moment, my mother tongue is body language, best done with the opposite. So to know it more, i will need the opposite who will tell you how good it is.
  • Daniel Westerberg
    Det här kommer att spåra ur :P
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Onasema kintu gani bwana?
  • TOTORO
    TOTORO wrote:
    すごいね!!!!!!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I can has imperialism culture advantage.

English: the lingua frankenstein.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I feel for those who feel they need to blast someone else's language. Astaroth..is anyone forcing you to speak English? And your English seems very good. I would say it is the common language chosen before we were born. More foriengners speak to one another in English as their common ground language..now your English seems good..were you looking for support from someone in this forum?

As to other minority languages, Russian, Italian, Spanish, German, French, et al., the problem is that there aren't so many people communicating in these languages world wide......so why knock English..as someone suggested, if you spoke your native language, few would understand you. Rock.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Hehehhee, Chinese is widely spoken, as much as English. Not so? Anyway, if one communicates in English, it is not imperative that he likes the language. It is because of un avoidable situations that they use it. And in any case, it might be that it is such a cheap and simple language for any donkey to learn because of its simple grammar. However, the minority languages like you said have more words that are adopted in the English language. In other words, English has many words corrupted from what you call minority languages. So they help build the English vocabulary.
    It is a pity that i had to right this in English.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Steven, looks like you have no idea what this thread is about ...

Astaroth ... good morning to you too ... when is that get-together we had talked about before ... let's get some Indian at The Place ... your lady friend likes Indian?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and COOL ... "it is such a cheap and simple language for any donkey to learn because of its simple grammar"? ... what are we ever going to do about you? Send you back to Madagascar?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    叮噹叔叔
    Going to help protect Dudus back home from being extradited to America, then get to the shores of Antananarivo for a vacation.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... sounds like fun, fun, and more fun ... let us know how it goes, ok?
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    True, but i need to first attend this WLIB get together. I have a bone to pick with someone.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and I have the toothpicks ready when you finish :)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Well, if i will have any teeth left.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Because i intend to bite like Tyson did Holyfield.
  • №❶ Passioη
    ...and fuck English speakers!

---to be continued---
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Above,
    That is to your liking and does not really help anyone apart from you. It is not that people can not learn English, it is by far like i said earlier the easiest language with the easiest grammar for any donkey to learn.

But like the TITLE OF THE THREAD IS, THAT IS WHAT IT IS. We have seen people speak 10 languages or even more. So at the moment, 5 is nothing.
  • №❶ Passioη
    Some Italians and Romanians told me they learned English in their countries by watching cartoons... hmm... I need concrete evidence
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    That shows how easy and cheap it is.
  • №❶ Passioη
    he needs to read about Ziad Fazah, the world's greatest polyglot (40++ languages) :D
  • Hanyang
    Hanyang wrote:
    如果懂中文走遍天下比较困难,那咱们一起来开发Chinglish吧!Chinglish viva!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    There is no connection between intelligence and language ability, just so you guys know.

It's tough for some, easier for others. It's even easier for Europeans who grow up in polyglot environments.

Without going into too much scientific detail, there is a critical point -- a threshold if you will -- that once expired, makes it increasingly difficult for people to learn a new language.

With that said, books are your friends. College courses are your friends. Make more of them.

*speaks Chinese, Italian and English*
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    Good, not the bedroom too!!!
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    fuck IELTS fuck GRE fuck..............
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @ Sasa
    Do not include the teachers who teach them please. I see that is where you are heading too. Hahhahaa
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Thanks, Susan. At least someone is level-headed around here. But that's what our snobbish educations our top-notch American university has awarded us, right?

But I never learned how to speak JAPD (Jewish-American Princess Dialect).
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    =),right right,a nice point~

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.